For Winnipeg and the surrounding area!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOBMUNZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Cool one today! Did see a few bikes out. Days are numbered now!
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  2. D&g roads

D&g roads Back on 2 wheels...

Oddometer:
    I'm still hopeful that we'll have another warm(er) spell...

Rode for an hour and a half or so on local backroads, plus a short jaunt on the highway.

With the wind was fine - against showed me where the weak points are in my gear...
    Hivernaut and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  3. Mark96

Mark96 Way Out There!

Oddometer:
    I predict November riding
  4. HooliganD

HooliganD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's hope we get a few more days of riding! I've had my new to me CB500X for only a couple weeks and would really like to get through at least one more tank of gas!

Rode to work yesterday morning, was a bit brisk! Heated grips are a godsend. I should have worn my warmer moto boots, but opted for my work boots out of laziness (not wanting to stuff them into a backpack)! I should look at some heated gear, maybe even one of those heated hoodies from Milwaukee.
    Hivernaut and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  5. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    There are certainly challenges with the cold weather riding. I find visor fogging to be a problem. A snowmobile helmet heated visor system could take care of that I guess. I wear layers under the riding gear, thermal underwear (long johns), sweat pants, long sleeved thermal underwear upper... and over that a heated jacket liner, Gerbing old pre-microwire tech. I have the matching heated gloves - have never tried heated grips, can't speak to that (I know guys love 'em & swear by 'em).

I've been hypothermic (badly) a few times, and that gets dangerous quick (very unpleasant). Even just a heated vest would keep your core warm, help prevent the uncontrollable shivers. Lots of options out there (other than just Gerbing), even DIY homemade. I got lucky scored my heated stuff used (Kijiji).
    Hivernaut, ACR and HooliganD like this.
  6. HooliganD

Oddometer:
    My scorpion helmets have mostly been a bust other than the fog resistant shields. They work well while moving, stop and go traffic is a problem. I thought about a snowmobile setup yesterday though! I haven't tried heated gloves, but there are/were some battery operated leather heated gloves at costco that I would have bought had I not had the heated grips. I'll have to look into the vest/hoodie more.
  7. D&g roads

Oddometer:
    re visor fogging
    It's an issue for me as well. Have you guys tried a breath guard / breath deflector?
    I'm thinking of ordering one for my hjc modular.
  8. Elk Creek 59

Elk Creek 59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found with my HJC snowmobile helmets that the breath guard made it worse for me. I wear glasses though. Just cracking the visor works for me when stopped. We used duct tape many yrs ago over the nose area. Never liked taking it off. I should look and see where those breath guards are.
    Hivernaut likes this.
  9. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    The Ski Doo BV2S snowmobile helmets really appeal to me, but unless you're a sledder too, pretty expensive, hard to justify buying one for only a few late season rides. The helmet I have doesn't have a visor detent to leave it cracked open a bit, and the air slot on the bottom of the visor is tiny. I opened that right up on the one visor, to increase airflow, and found that helps huge towards preventing fogging.

20201019_121310.jpg
    Hivernaut and Snipified like this.
  10. D&g roads

Oddometer:
    I wear glasses too. Now that I think about it, unless the breath guard formed a perfect seal against my face, which seems unlikely, the escaping breath would immediately fog my glasses. I have that issue with dust/covid masks...
    Thanks for the feedback. Duct tape...:lol3
    Elk Creek 59 and Hivernaut like this.
  11. HooliganD

Oddometer:
    I think the key is to find a snowmobile helmet that is really just a motorcycle helmet with the nifty shield. Buy a replacement motorcycle style shield for summer and swap in the winter shield when needed.
  12. HooliganD

Oddometer:
  13. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    GWN
    Fogging maybe isn’t your problem.
    Those shields look like you’ve been following behind a gravel truck spilling its load for a few thou kms.
    :jack

I know
    It’s from following someone’s roost for way too long.:wings
  14. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Just spent a (wasted) hour trying to polish up the one - it's a write off. The other visor (the installed one) is actually in good shape. I really should treat myself to a new helmet (cheap bastard:^)

Edit - ...a new helmet that I'd probably drop in the gravel anyways... what happened to the other visor, a few times :(
  15. Hivernaut

Hivernaut Enthusiastic NewBie

Oddometer:
    IMaO with a modular helmet you have a chin curtain which makes a nice quiet seal. That moist air has to escape to clear the visor. If the breath guard doesn’t have an exit path …
    I have a breath guard in my Bell Adv and it is better but even in a open helmet like that it isn’t a complete answer.
  16. Zappafeld

Zappafeld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Winnipeg, but I am trying to get out man!
    I got contacts specifically for riding for this very reason. I also wear a snowmobile hood and goggles in cold weather. no more fogging.
    Hivernaut likes this.
  17. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned pinlocks yet. My Shoei constantly fogged up in rain and cold weather until I switched to a pinlocked visor. I wouldn't ride without one now.

Shoei Pinlock
    The Pinlock EVO creates a double shield system through a silicon seal between the helmet face shield and Pinlock insert lens, which makes up a double glass type of solution that prevents fogging. The insert is made of a moisture absorbing plastic and therefore, the surface basically dry when used.
  18. Hivernaut

Oddometer:
    I bought an extra visor in the spring and did a pin-lock A/B comparison, and the pillock is marginally better. Enough to have me buy the pin-lock for the second visor, they’re a bit spendy.
    I seen one guy with a binder-clip on his visor, just enough to crack it a bit, I imagine his visor detents were too coarse.
    I really like my Bell Adv helmet, with the peak, and have put googles under the visor (as a second line of defence if the visor smeared) when I knew I was gonna do some rainy back-roads . I have tried the breath guard with it and it does work but not a complete answer, I would still pop the visor to clear.
    So saying googles could be try. As an aside, as much as I like the Bell, the peak is tiring in our prairie winds. Not my go-to helmet. .. Yea .. I could take it off but I’m not as organized as you and would end up misplacing it or the screws.
    thinking helmets could be the new oil thread.
    Yeap .. what @humvee said .. Shoei as well.
  19. Hivernaut

Oddometer:
    Garth; What hood did you find?
    I found the seams gave me a headache on the two i tried. Having the backof my neck covered makes a great difference.
  20. Zappafeld

Zappafeld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Winnipeg, but I am trying to get out man!
    I will check when I get home in a few days, can't recall brand.