1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

For Winnipeg and the surrounding area!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOBMUNZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Was great for a little ride last night. 3hr/265 kms

upload_2021-4-28_14-47-44.png
    Guntar, Hivernaut, Mark96 and 3 others like this.
  2. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    don't think moto companies are "buying off" Baldy. not a chance.
    as far as HD's not being durable/reliable? that was 25 years ago .........
  3. Zappafeld

Zappafeld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not mean it literally.
  4. Mark96

Mark96 Way Out There!

Oddometer:
    Got together with a few great adv'ers yesterday.
    2 weestroms
    2 KLR's
    1 DR650
    A cool group of guys. Rode out to Falcon Lake and area. Then back to Wpg and an hour and a half to oogle an enormous # of bikes at Tim's on Main.
    By the time I pulled into the garage odometer said 420km for the day. 20210427_141124.jpg
    ACR, Guntar, Hivernaut and 6 others like this.
  5. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    Good for you Les, nice to get out there! How was the suspension performance on #23 from Morris to Roland? (which bike were you on?)
  6. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    More pics from Tuesday's Ride. All 4 of the Japanese manufacturers represented. 20210427_100432.jpg 20210427_121051.jpg received_479177196762510.jpg 20210427_110531.jpg 20210427_110510.jpg 20210427_120856.jpg
    ACR, Guntar, Hivernaut and 5 others like this.
  7. meatshieldchris

meatshieldchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did some sand up by the lake today. Effortless when you don't make a mistake absolutely exhausting when you do! IMG_20210501_155047.jpg
    ACR, Hivernaut, BackRoader and 2 others like this.
  8. Zappafeld

Zappafeld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    bumpbumpbumpbumpbump etc. R1200RT, setting suspension to 'comfort' was necessary. Was watching for you or your place out there, unsuccessful.
  10. Tothelake

Tothelake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday we took a Dawson Road/Whitemouth River waterfall tour! En route we saw 4 or 5 bears, a couple ground hogs, a dozen or so deer and hundreds of pelicans. Unfortunately only the Pelicans posed for pictures!
    P1040305.JPG
    1st break at Windy Lake north of #1 along Fire guard road 24 (at least I think that's the correct number).

P1040305.JPG
    P1040306.JPG
    A stop at the tiny church at Spruce Siding. Visited the cemetery where most graves are close to 100 years old with huge trees growing in the plots. Must have been a tough life out there back then! This pic is for GWN.

P1040308.JPG
    Silver Bridge road just north of Hadashville. The guys are looking at the wrong side of the.....the diving board is on the other side!

P1040312.JPG
    Beach & canoe launch at River Hills. P1040310.JPG
    Barn peaking over the hill by River Hills. Nice hay loft!

P1040313.JPG
    Whitemouth Falls provincial park just north of Seven Sisters. Unfortunately I missed taking a picture of the rapids at Elma (was distracted by beverages in the park there). Cook Falls was also closed with a cable across the entrance to the property.......not sure if that was Covid related or what the story was. P1040322.JPG
    Photogenic Pelicans fishing the rapids at Whitemouth Falls. Back home via Milner Ridge Road with a stop to fill up in Beausejour - the gas station at Seddon's corner is closed until May 7th. Made it to Beausejour and put 11 liters of fuel in a 12 liter tank.......a bit close for comfort! Was a good afternoon to distract from us from what's going on in the world.
    Guntar, Hivernaut, Lappeman and 10 others like this.
  11. Hivernaut

Hivernaut Enthusiastic NewBie

Oddometer:
    What-cha think?
    ScreenClip.png
  12. Hivernaut

Oddometer:
    What is the group-think of picking upo a bike out of province?
    I just made a deal with an in-province bike, got the bank-draft ready, loaded the trailer, ready to leave and he ghosted me.
    two days later he said he'd changed his mind. and I'd offered a premium because it was in-province.
    Not a problem, it's only money .. and time.
    Snipified likes this.
  13. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    I've bought a few KLRs from Alberta... back when they used to be cheap. With the price of gas what it is, IMO it's gotta be a very good deal to drive far to get it. Getting a bike safetied is a whole 'nother issue.
    Eastbayview and Snipified like this.
  14. Snipified

Snipified Pew Pew Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my wrr close to 4 years ago from Vernon BC. I made the trip because it was in mint condition with only 600kms on her. Another reason was that I wanted to see the mountains lol. The price was right but the fuel did hurt. I'm not up to speed on travel restrictions but that might be a pain.

Regarding an out of province safety, you should be fine as long as the lights, blinkers and tires are DOT. Important wear items will be looked over to see if they're within spec. My wrr was stock and it passed no problems.
    Hivernaut and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  15. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in a remote spot and buy out of province all the time. In the summer I do fly and rides, and in the winter I ship ($450). I've even bought two bikes in Ireland sight unseen.

If you want a good deal you generally have to buy sight unseen, or at least put down a non-refundable deposit (even more buyers flake compared to your flakey seller and sellers know this). If you are buying at market value, they should just hold it for you . Of course the more money you are putting out, the more pictures you will need, plus a cold and hot start video. But again, if it is a good deal, then you do not want to inconvenience the seller too much.... I have lost out on a few really nice bikes because buyers did not want the hassle and i don't blame em. Some i still dream about.

It is a risk, but so is buying any used bike. It is very easy to cover up flaws for in-person buyers, at least the flaws that the videos and pictures don't catch. There is also trust - i always ask, on the phone (not text or email), "As far as you're aware, will the bike get me home? And i totally understand that something COULD go wrong, but would YOU ride this 1500km home?" It kind of puts people on the spot, but very few people would put you on a piece of shit and let you drive home KNOWING you're going to have an issue (at least in Canada).

As for logistics, most provinces can give you a "transit permit". Usually a paper think you either tape to the bike or stick in your pocket.

I rode from Calgary to Winnipeg without a plate. Wonder what people were thinking.
  16. Mark96

Mark96 Way Out There!

Oddometer:
    I bought a Gold Wing in North Carolina just from Cycle Trader add and a brief phone call.
    Hopped in a rentacar with gf and drove pretty much non stop.
    Was fun !
    We rode the Blue Ridge Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, etc.
    She drove the car home...and I took my good sweet time zig zagging back to Winnipeg.
    Great memory !
    Guntar, Hivernaut and Pegman like this.
  17. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    My RT came from Alberta (got to ride home at +3 C, yay.) and my first KLR from Ontario. No issues at all. you need a safety to license it no matter where it comes from.
    Hivernaut and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  18. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have bought more bikes sight unseen than ones that I actually saw . These include about 6 from all over the USA , 3 from British Columbia and 2 from England ( one while the guy was still using in Panama making his to San Francisco . Most of them turned out to be great bikes a couple not so much . Now that I don’t have any more “ play money “ I would only go out of country or province for a “ special “ bike . If the model is available in Ontario I don’t see the need to go elsewhere . Still always looking for that one Special bike .

NorthRider
  19. Hivernaut

Oddometer:
    Yeah . It was gone in an day.
    If it's too good ... .
    There's a safety guy close, KTM rider but other than that he seems a good guy.
  20. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    We met a fellow a couple years ago. He was from Nova Scotia. He flys out to BC often and goes across canada on motorcycle but has never owned one for more than a couple weeks at a time. He will buy a bike (new or used). He gets a BC transit permit which he said was good for a month of registration and insurance. He takes the month, drives back to NS and then sell the bike, usually for what he paid or a bit less. Here he is. Name was Derek and he was on a Honda CBR250 at this time.

View attachment 2956327