For Winnipeg and the surrounding area!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOBMUNZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    I see a ride is shaping up for Canada Day? Are you planning on going just for the day? My mighty KLR is in the shop as of this morning. Valve adjust, chain and tire repair. Not sure I will have it back by July 1...:eek1
  2. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    I hope the ride has some dirty spots....:lol3
  3. BOBMUNZ

BOBMUNZ In jail for a while.

Oddometer:
    I'd like to join on Canada day but I'm already headed out to Beausejour, the girlfriend grew up there so I figured it would be nice to take her there on the one day we both have off from work.

And as far as that route, I just dragged the map route over so that we could ride north through the park instead of coming up the east side of the lake and over, I figured it would be more scenic and playing on twisty slab can be fun, but the map is definitely open to interpretation.
  4. 'Dumbdog

'Dumbdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may be goin through beasejour, to seven sisters to westhawk to kenora that day....may or may not stay for the fireworks display haven't decided.....
  5. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    I am OK for a run on July 01, however not crazy about running the slap to Kenora.... construction and camper traffic will suck....
  6. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    I agree BackRoader, the hwy would be full of people with a deathwish for motorcycle riders. What are the plans beside pavement?
  7. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Thought about heading south of the Transcanada into the forest and check oout Whitemouth Lake area.
    Stublejumper called me last night....said he did the run last week.

With all this rain it might be challenging as the area has a great deal of streams that will flood....this happened 4 years ago. Lots of dead end roads account of washouts.

Going to play this by ear...see what the others are doing.... might end up on the slab..... argggggg
  8. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI....no fireworks on the 1'st this year in Kenora. They're doing it on the 4'th.
    I'm wetting the bed and hitting Duluth. No holiday there, and I wants to check out Aerostitch.. Traffic coming into Kenora on weekends all summer will be totally mental
  9. 'Dumbdog

'Dumbdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you for that...
    Clear Lake Manitoba it is for me then!

ps I find it easier to take the bypass to the Villeneuve rd or aiport rd to get into K-town during tourist rush hours...
  10. speedracer

speedracer The Lucky One

Oddometer:
    Middle of Canada.......no really.........it is
    Yes, this is the route I was talking about. 304 is a loop. It starts out at Lac Du Bonnet on Provincial 313, turn left to 315, left on 314 which turns into 304 which goes through some great wilderness all the way to Bisset and a short time after that it is paved for the ride home.

11. champ

champ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would love to join the Bisset ride but I work that weekend, guess I'll have to do a loner another weekend or weekday I have off.
    The wife said she would like to go with me 2 up to the Duck Mtns and camp over night, great but she's having second thoughts after last Sundays 3 1/2 hour ride through the Carberry hills and spruce woods forest.
    That expensive Sargent seat is looking more affordable all the time. Two up is definitley a harder ride on the butt.
    New Cee Bailey extended windshield is much better on the body and worth every penny of the $180 + taxes and shipping I paid but I should have gotten the tallest one.
  12. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Hey Champ, ordered a Sargent seat a few weeks ago..... looking forward to a comfortable " long " ride.

Anyone heading out on the slab tomorrow ? Maybe a run to Selkirk for a hot dog ?
  13. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I don't currently live in there, but lived in Pinawa for three years, and know the area well. That and Duck Mountain, are probably the best two rides in Manitoba.
  14. bent forks

bent forks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What time are you leaving Greg
  15. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    I am OK to leave before noon.... go for a couple or three hours...

Are ya in ? If so we can meet at 11:30 at Tim's (the one on Regent near the Future Shop and Montana's)
  16. bent forks

bent forks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay see you at tim's 1130

jack
  17. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    Hey Backroader and Bent Forks...did you guys get out for a ride up to Selkirk? The wind today was pretty extreme around Carman. I am hoping to get my KLR back by Tuesday so I can ride on Canada Day. Weather is supposed to be much drier next week. Hopefully those roads BackRoader is talking about for Wed won't be flooded or too deep...looking forward to a good ride on Canada Day! Great way to spend our nation's birthday.:freaky
  18. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Bent Forks and I had a great ride ride today..." Always riding in the Wind"

Tried to get to the end of Main Street north of Selkirk. Jack (Bent Foks) rode a 1/4 mile of flooded road at Breezy Point while tried to capture it with my not so trusty camera. Go figure, dead battery.

Anyway I did see a "carp" crossing the road just before Jack returned from his avdenture ride. With the water over two feet deep in some places the fish were enjoying the extra feeding areas. ( I will let Jack tell you about the water ride)

As most know, Breezy Point was devistated by the spring flood, leaving many cottages in ruins (wow, sounds like a news paper report) With the strong north winds today and combined with the 30 hours of rain, the lake water was pushing back into the Red River, causing localized flooding.

On our return to the City, we did some "on roading" in the Industrial area of Transcona. We found a good portion of one of Winnipeg's finest streets that allowed us some great technical riding.... pot holes, ruts, water hazzards and who knows how much chemical was on the road spilling out of the near by industries.

All and all a good run

Who is up for Wednesday July 01... ride into the Sandilands towards the Whitemouth Lake Area... plans may change depending on local flooding.
    Probably leave from the Robins/Petro Can on #59 @ #1 at 10:00.
  19. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
  20. speedracer

speedracer The Lucky One

Oddometer:
    Middle of Canada.......no really.........it is
    Good to hear! You should come and join us. There's always room at my place for the day before and day after if needed.

KP