For you long distance Road King riders

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Lobby, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    With the 6 speed in my '14 RK, 90 MPH is a nice smooth 3300 RPM. The bike and motor is very happy at that speed and R's. Did it once for 140 miles without ever once dropping out of cruise control.
    Road_King likes this.
  2. Road_King

Road_King Rocked in the Cradle of the Deep

Oddometer:
    In Nevada?
  3. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I agree. My '16 seems to be happiest at 32-3300. It just feels like the sweet spot for this bike. Gas guy - What are you expecting to turn on the highway with that pulley?

I got to try my new Tourmaster Synergy 2 Liner this morning....when my GF's car wouldn't crank over and I gave her my truck. It was a nice chilly 12 degrees when I left. It was actually pretty toasty with that liner under a Transition 3 Coat. I've gotta say, I'm impressed!
  4. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Road King - here is a pic with the new shield. ( Better late than never ) Sorry it's not better, I'll try again tomorrow

image.jpeg
    GAS GUY and Road_King like this.
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The old 5 speeds turn about 3,000 RPM's @ 70 MPH.
    This pulley should bring me to about 2,800 RPM's @ 70 MPH.
    ALMOST where the newer 6 speeds are at. Not quite.
    To be exact, per Andrews specification sheet, 6.4 %
    They give an example of 187 RPM drop @ 60 MPH in high gear.

Here is the link to all the tech data and ratios on all year Harleys.
    It is interesting to note that 2007-2008 Touring models had even more Overdrive than the 2009 and up.
    Lot's of interesting info there, especially for gear heads !!!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRidTkqJPKAhWBWj4KHd5IBJUQFggcMAA&url=http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites/www.andrewsproducts.com/files/catalog_pdfs/2014-page29.pdf&usg=AFQjCNF6IHwfodKOvGgAjkoIRGHbApR6Ug&bvm=bv.110151844,d.eWE
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Those Harley branded Chrome wind deflectors look great also. Probably will end up with a set of those.
  7. Shastarider

Shastarider Head and Eyes

Oddometer:
    Which detachable rear luggage rack is everyone using? Cheers
  8. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    RK, actually on I 10 on the way between El Paso and Kerrville, Tx. The posted limit is 80 and with the cruise set at 90 I passed about as many as passed me.

My detachable rear luggage rack in the HD one.

BTW, when I finally got home here in the Smokies, we pulled and inspected the Spark Plugs, both perfect and then inspected the cylinders with a Borascope , the cylinders were perfect and still uses no oil.
    Roadscum and Road_King like this.
  9. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gas Guy - I really like the way they look, but I LOVE the way they work! As promised - a better pic of the Shield.

image.jpeg
    GAS GUY likes this.
  10. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you like the functionality of the LRS shield?
  11. DEAN R.SHALVIS

DEAN R.SHALVIS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love mine.Keeps the air above my head and no noise
  12. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I like it a lot. Right now I have the 18" on and while you get slightly more buffeting with it than the factory barn door, it's not enough to be problematic and I like looking over the shield much more than looking through the stock HD shield.

The lowers made the biggest difference so far, those things are magic!

I also bought the 16" LRS and am looking for HD hardware so I can quick change them once summer comes for more air. At 70 or 75% off before Christmas both shields and shipping were under $200 so I had to try both
  13. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keeping a good Road King thread alive.

This past week I bought the chrome fork wind deflectors, as seen in Firenailers excellent photo. Aka "the fangs". My God, you guys were right. Those things made an amazing difference. Should have bought them sooner. The wind turbulence around my head was always noticeable, but not enough to be a big deal. Except when I put the soft lowers on the crash bars. Then it got so bad it was unbearable. Which meant the soft lowers didn't get used. Anyway...put the fangs on, and within a mile of my house was amazed at the difference. The best part...when I added the soft lowers...still excellent.

For anybody still hesitant to buy them..take the plunge. Worth every penny. Time to install, about 5 or 10 minutes. Sort of. My turn signals were touching them. The instructions said if clearance is needed, move the turn signals/passing lamps to the front mounting spot on the bracket. Yeah, that took a couple of hours. Thanks to help from a friend who is a terrific wrench. To loosen them, he had to make a custom tool by cutting a slot in a 9/16" socket. (The nut that holds the lamps onto the bracket has the hot wire going through it.) The first one took all the time, since we had to figure out how they were attached, etc. Second side went quickly. I could have left them alone, but chrome touching chrome didn't sound like a good idea.

I got the fangs for 25% off at the dealer open house, and also bought the HD heated grips at the same time for $150. Having the dealer install those on April 6. So now that winter is over, I'll be all set for cold weather riding. :)
  14. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of the heated grips, I have got to me some of those. I think the biggest things I miss from my RT are the heated seat and grips, well those and the electrically adjustable windshield, I REALLY miss that!

I also added the Kuryakn between the forks wind deflector and that cut down even more of the buffeting. It's coming along a little at a time, I just need it to warm up enough to take a few day ride on it!

I've installed a detachable backrest and luggage rack to strap my WP Duffle to so I think it's ready for its first test

Attached Files:

15. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harley's heated grips were the first thing I added, they work very well and I like the rheostat type control for them and its location on the end of the left grip. +1 on the wind deflectors as well. Mounting mine I recall one of them, I think the right side, was very close within 1/16" of contacting the turn signal. I looked what would be involved relocating them forward and decided to simply bend it back 1/8" to have the same margin as the left side.
  16. TheProphet

TheProphet Long timer

Oddometer:

Please confirm: This is the "Long Ride Shield" (LRS). On their website, every photo shows the 'shield with their name emblazoned in white across the bottom, which I would not like. Is it removable?

http://www.longrideshields.com/category_s/1824.htm

I'm in the market for a new windshield as I had cut mine down about 2" last summer. Works great for me, but I forgot to factor in my pillion - the wife - who informed me that buffeting now is too much, and now the wind is way too much for her, and that there is a very noticeable difference between as stock, and after I cut it lower. My bad.

FYI - I cut it down to be exactly even with the tip of my nose. Purpose was to enable me to see "over" the top of the shield, as opposed to through it. It works... OK, but I did notice some slight buffeting that wasn't there before.

Please confirm that the shield doesn't have their logo and name on it, and what size (20"?, 16"?) you have.

Looks great! :thumb
  17. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Hey Prophet,

The pic is with the 18" on. The 16 gives you good air but I could see it getting tiring after a few hrs. The only thing that comes on the shield is a very small oval shaped LRS badge right over the headlight.

I cut the original as well 17 1/2 from headlight cutout to the the top and while I liked it, the GF said the same thing about the buffeting. She says it's better with the LRS Recurve but still likes the original best. I may pick up another stock shield to use when she's along.
  18. TheProphet

TheProphet Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the 20".

Why?

Maybe that extra 2 inches would be enough to direct the airflow up and over the both of us? It's only about ten bucks more. What do you think?
  19. Chuck Pryce

Chuck Pryce Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Easy to cut shorter,tough to add on.
  20. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure these recurve shields are all that easy to cut. If your going to go 20 your right back to the original shield height aren't you?

For me the 18" gets in my sight line more than I'd like as well, which is why I was experimenting with cutting the original.