For you long distance Road King riders

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Lobby, Nov 12, 2013.

1. TheProphet

TheProphet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am interested in the 20", as it is the same height as original stock, and we know THAT works, plus the re-curve, which should be even better at directing the air up and over.

In the end, I guess I'm OK looking through the windshield, if it eliminates the buffeting for both the wife on pillion, and me. I also thought that maybe looking through the re-curve at the top and whether it is optically clear, or is that curved area create a distorted view? With the extra 2 inches, maybe I'd be looking below where the curved area is. (?)
  2. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I see where your going Prophet and what I'd advise is this. If you don't mind looking through the shield stick with the original. I don't think you'll get much benefit switching a 20" for a 20" but if you still want to try just keep an eye on the LRS site until they run their 70% off sale in the fall.

The shields end up costing something like $70. During the sale

I tried a 16 and an 18 but in the end the 16 was too short and the 18 was in my sight line so I'll probably put them both up for sale and stick with the original which I've since cut down and remounted. I am pretty happy with it for now.
  3. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried the Memphis Shades Drop Top?
  4. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    heated grips.jpg A little update on some additions to my Road King. I had the dealer install factory heated grips last month. Bought them at their open house for $!50, then paid $130 for the installation. I'm very pleased with them. Even though winter is well behind us, I've used them on a couple of chilly rides. I also installed National Cycle clear hand guards, and, as I said in an earlier post, the HD fork wind deflector "fangs". All those things together have had a pleasant impact riding when it's a little cool. For example, we left for a day ride last Friday when it was 50 degrees. Yes, I know that's not the least bit cold...I used to ride all winter. But I just wore jeans, no overpants, unlined gloves and unlined leather jacket. I set the grips at "2" (out of maximum "6"). Anyway - with the soft lowers zipped to the crash bars, and these other new additions, I was very comfortable on the highway without having to layer up. Combined, they've made a significant difference. I suspect I may leave those hand guards on all summer. For sure the fangs will stay on.
  5. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Please tell more about the hand guards. My hands seem to get freeing, even with heavy Thinsulate gloves, before anything else.

Have been jonesing gloves but I just can't figure out whether to go with Warm-n-safe, the "new" onshore Gerbings or the HD (Offshore Gerbings?)
  6. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought them through Amazon for $81. They are made, or at least marketed, by National Cycle. They attach to the stems for the mirrors. Very simple installation. Join the brackets to the clear plastic. They provide plastic bolts and nuts for that. I happened to have (4) 1/4" stainless steel bolts and nuts in the basement, so I ditched the plastic ones that came with the hand guards. Then remove the nut on each mirror stem, put the brackets/shields on, re-install nut. A true 10 minute job, start to finish.

My last two new BMW's were GS's, with heated grips and hand guards. I liked that. With good winter gloves, I could ride all day in the mid 20's, and for shorter rides in single digits. I considered just getting heated gloves (I've had a Gerbing liner for years), but then I'd have to have the liner on, to connect the gloves. I prefer just heated grips and hand guards, because they will always be on the bike when I want them.

Individual preference. If I were a hard core long distance winter rider, I'd spring for the heated gloves.

My winter gloves, for quite some years, have been Rev It, with Schoeller PCM. This was their last winter. They are falling apart, finally. I will probably spring major dollars for a pair of Lee Parks Designs winter gloves. That PCM might be a gimmick - - I don't know. I just know it worked in those Rev It gloves, and I want it in my next pair of winter gloves. It's supposed to take the heat from the heated grips and distribute it around the glove.
    sixspeed and cesarb like this.
  7. Douf

Douf Limey Bitch

Oddometer:

Fwiw I ultimately found that my perfect screen height revealed itself by just riding more! The screen on my Road King is right in my line of sight, which I initially found to be extremely distracting. However after the first multi week tour, I found I didn't really notice it anymore. Wish I could say the same about the buffeting on the 950! Interested to hear if anyone else 'just got used to it'?
  8. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find that I just stop noticing small annoyances ( on lots of different bikes) after a bit.
    Or I learn to ride around them. ( like the shitty brakes on my KLR)
    ;)
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Each of us has a different solution. Not surprising, as each of us has a unique body trunk length. As well different seats, bars, etc.

My happy solution is the oem 22" tall replacement unit. Puts the top of the shield up around my forehead, and the wind just blows over me. I live in a calm breezy environment back there. When I need to, I sit up straight and tall and can look over it.
  10. Road_King

Road_King Rocked in the Cradle of the Deep

Oddometer:
    Yes. I got used to mine. Sometimes I look through it, other times I look over it and then again sometime to the side of it.
  11. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fortunately RK shields are inexpensive and made in various heights. I went down 2" from stock with a 18" polycarbonate recurve from LRS to get the top out of my main line of sight. The stock 20" was also creating enough vacuum behind it to pull my head forward causing the back of my neck to ache on longer rides. One nice things about Harley's and especially Road Kings is all the accessories, farkles offered bu HD and the aftermarket.
    TheProphet likes this.
  12. artman

artman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. artman

artman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my hand guards yesterday from Amazon, I have a 99 FLHTC that I put 12 inch apes on it 7 years ago. My hands have been cold for seven years. I use heated gloves but no wind protection still left my hands cold. Thanks for the info I tried it out yesterday and seems to work out!
  14. Road Glide

Road Glide n00b

Oddometer:
    Firenailer, pls check your private conversation list...
  15. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Thanks!!!

I'll have to jump on Az and have a look. I have the stock cop mirrors which (I think/hope) are the same mounting so I'll have to take a gander at that first. As long as there's not crap on the road I will ride. But none of that compares to nearly instantly freezing hands when it's slightly chilly.

Looks like I will give the guards a go first before looking for the heated gloves.
  16. artman

artman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. artman

artman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure you order Harley hand guards, they mount up to Harley mirror mounts!
  18. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they fit on the cop mirror mounts just fine.
  19. okpj

okpj n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, i'm Federico from the north of Italy. I Have a FLHR identical to the Firenailer's one, also same color, and as you same problems with turbolence.
    In practical my confort limit without windshield is 65 mph, it's still possible to keep 70 mph but not for long distances (i'm 6' 2"). Usual speed limit in european highways is 80 mph.
    I didn't know the effectivness of the fork deflectors and i think i will purchase them soon.

By the way, i want also to give my contribution to this topic: i installed a backrest (two, one for me and one for the passenger) and i found it very useful to support the body in case of riding without windshield. Moreover, i think it improves the riding safety because before i was used to hang me handlebars and the control of the bike was not optimal.

Attached Files:

20. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings Frederico nice looking RK you have I like it in red. I found riding my RK without the shield tiring, the high handlebars turn my upper body into a sail so I have to hold on tight which tires my back and arms. The stock bars are 12" high, I changed to 9" which helped a good bit I probably should have installed bars from a 2013 and earlier RK which are 7". With my 9" bars I'm comfortable up to 60 mph, or faster for short distances, but if I'm going on a long ride I just put one of the shields on, I use a 16" in Summer or 18" in cooler weather (stock is 20"). The fork air deflectors reduce most of the buffeting especially when the shield is on I highly recommend them. I sometimes remove them in hot weather with the shield off. There is some adjustment but the deflectors fit pretty close I had to just slightly bend one of mine that was almost in contact with a passing light. Be aware they do mount with the concave surface forward, I've seen a few bikes where they were mounted backwards.