For you long distance Road King riders

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Lobby, Nov 12, 2013.

1. okpj

okpj n00b

Oddometer:
    Update: i installed the deflectors, they works great! I confirm that the engine receives less air flow, also the flow to the air filter is lower (i have the 103 hi-output engine, where the air filter has a "mouth" where airflow is pushed in).
    I was on an highway very straight and empty and i tried to push the bike to the top speed, i reached 112 mph without any turbolence. Great improvement to me!
  2. gymply

gymply Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Another vote here for the Dunlop American Elites. 17K on my rear now and it looks like its got 1K or so left. Already got another set of Elites in the garage. Just waiting for a rainy weekend to mount them...
  3. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    OKPJ - glad you like the wind deflectors!

I must be doing something wrong on tires. :) Wrong as in riding like an old man. I've got 18.5K on the original rear Dunlop HD branded tire, and it still has a ways to go. I just measured it at 4/32 at it's shallowest point. It actually looks deeper than that, but looks are deceiving. The service writer at the dealer told me he's seeing guys get 25K on the original rears. Don't think I'll push it that far.
  4. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Boy oh Boy you must putz.............I ride like my age.......:D........I'm 73......
    MHaz01 likes this.
  5. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do, Dean. One of the reasons I switched to HD was to slow down, even though the bike will handle high speeds. (Well, "high" is relative.) Every time I rode my GS, I found myself hitting triple digits. I nearly bought a used C14 Concours (took it up to 140 mph on the test ride) which probably would have led to jail. Now I tell people, "I'm riding like the guys I used to cuss out." The guys on HD's, always getting in my way by riding the speed limit. The funny thing is I've never enjoyed the ride more than I do now. Cruising along, on the most comfortable bike I've ever had, totally enjoying the passing scenery.
  6. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    The Harley "Slow Down" Mindset takes a little getting used to - coming from a BMW background. My last 2 Touring bikes were a K1200GT and 1200RT. That being said I'm enjoying just rumbling along for the first time in my riding life. First time I've ever had this type of bike in the 40 years I've been licensed to ride street bikes, but I'm getting the hang of it.
    Idaho Pakeha likes this.
  7. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "Slow Down" mindset is not just limited to Harleys! I went from a V-Strom to a V-Star, which is my first cruiser. Same issues with the wind buffeting, a set of deflectors on the forks really did make a huge difference.

Now I really enjoy the ride, just cruising along and taking in the day. Best ride I've ever had, and I arrive relaxed and....well...happy.

I do like a Road King, though. If I ever get a Harley, it's number one on the wish list. The Indian Springfield is right up there, too.
  8. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    I covet the remote locking saddlebags on the Springfield. Not enough to trade, but it's almost embarrassing to admit I'd really like to have them, because it seems like such a handy feature.
  9. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a test ride on the Springfield...amazing bike. Totally loved it. I need to see about a test ride on a RK for comparison.

Never met a bike I didn't like, though.
  10. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Been a problem of mine for years.
    Richy likes this.
  11. anotheroldfart

anotheroldfart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Local Indian dealer keeps calling me to take a test ride on a Springfield. I told him the test ride might take several hours and he might not like that many miles on new bike. He said it's fine with him.

Still want to rode test a new 8 valve RK first. Oh, and the Springfield price tag is a bit much for me, too.
  12. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    '17 King M8, 6'2". I was getting a fair amount of buffeting which would go down significantly if I crossed my arms at chest level. Putting on the fork deflectors helped that, a lot. I still occasionally get some buffeting depending on the wind angle which goes away when I hunch down a bit. Given that, I'm going to try the 22" screen (vs. stock 20") next. Really not a fan of extraneous junk on the bike normally (why I bought a Road King) but for me this is a distance bike & getting the noise down really helps on those very long days....
    Traxx, TT RDHS and RobN. like this.
  13. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'bingo, that did the trick. The 22" screen (+2" over stock) eliminated any buffeting leftover from when the fork lowers were installed. If I sit up straight I can still see over the screen (and some buffeting returns). In any relaxed position it's as quite as my ST1300 was (without all the Tupperware) or my S10 ever was (even with the Mastad bracket & a Parabellum tall). The extra height is hard to spot unless the screens are stilling on top of one another by the way. The 22" isn't 2" taller all around the top edge but more like a max of 2" at the very top, the increase tapering off to the same height within 1-2" on either side of that high point. If you are only going to be going 50-100 miles it may not matter but if you are doing 500-800 mile days back to back, reducing wind noise can make that a lot more pleasant. I'd say the fork deflectors were about 65% of it and the slightly taller screen caught the remaining third, 'well worth the effort.
    image.jpeg
  14. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    There's a between the fork deflector that's pretty inexpensive that you can add as well that will further improve your buffeting and ride experience.
  15. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe you may be referring to the lower triple tree deflector. I did look at those but I don't think tbey work at present with the '17 ABS/ hydraulic assist clutch bikes, 'a lot of plumbing down there. If/when an updated version of that comes out, I might try it too but at this point, I'm not sure it will be needed.
  16. RobN.

RobN. A little Odd Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kuryakyn makes a fork baffle for the 2017 touring rigs. Black or chrome, about $38.00 if I remember correctly. I have one on my Road King, and I think it helps some. I ordered mine from Dennis Kirk. Harley doesn't offer one last I checked.
    RobN
  17. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'you're right, turns out they do and the plumbing apparently goes below the bell:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/1796/lower-triple-tree-wind-deflector

I'll have to look into those, thanks.
    RobN. likes this.
  18. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Yeah the Kury will work fine. I took the fangs and between fork deflector off my '16 RK and mounted them onto my '17 StreetGlide Special no problem. Best things ever invented as far as I'm concerned!
  19. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    Who is this @Lobby guy, anyway?
  20. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    He ain't shit. I wouldn't worry about him at all.

:wave