Ford Transit Connect

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Nemosengineer, Feb 14, 2010.

1. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
  2. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Saw this in Copenhagen.

P5241933.JPG

Low roof TC.
  3. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an L2 connect Ltd it has the Peugeot/Citroen 1.6 turbo Diesel engine

I thought the Americans only got the L2 version. I tried an L1 but the cargo area is too short.

Mines coming up for 2.5 years old now. Thinking of chopping it in for the new Citroen dispatch http://business.citroen.co.uk/commercial-vehicles/vans/new-citroen-dispatch/
  4. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ford have been borrowing Peugeot Diesels for a while. Right back to the non turbo, mechanical injection TUD.
  5. MrBob

MrBob Pressure washed insides. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best year Ford Transit Connect?
    I'm in the market for a Transit Connect for my business and I have about 5,000.00 or 6,000.00 to spend. The little market research I've done says that kind of money will buy a 2010-2012ish Transit with less than 150,000 miles. My Astro van is getting a little long in the tooth and a recent trip to Europe turned me on to small vans like the TC.
    Are there Transit Connect quirks I should be aware of? I've read complaints about them being underpowered, for instance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prior to 2014 they used a 4 speed trans and a 2.0 engine (iirc) they’re a little on the gutless side.

My 2016, has the 2.5 and a 6 speed, it’s not FAST, but it’s plenty adequate, it even tows my little trailer (about 1700lbs total) just fine along the highway. I have mine as a mini camper kinda setup, and have driven 21k plus miles since March.
    Chillis and MrBob like this.
  7. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    April 2015 transit connect ltd l2 1.6l

Just clocked up 62,000 miles since April 2015. Expenses so far

1/ first service at 20,000 - £170
    2/ full set of Michelin cross climate tyres at 25,000 - £420
    3/ 2nd service at 40,000 - £370
    4/ 3rd service at 62,000 - £180
    5/ brake pads all round at 62,000 - £178

Another set of tyres all round within the next 5k

According to my spreadsheet - fuel has averaged 48.6 mpg

What I really like about this van is how quiet it is at motorway speeds. 2000 rpm is 70mph in 6th gear and it will Rev to 5500rpm. I presume it's electronically limited at the top end But I've seen 115mph and it felt fine.

Who needs a 4wd.

image.jpeg
    MrBob and Motornoggin like this.
  8. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    That middle van is a generic van in Europe they are bagged by renault, Vauxhall, fiat and maybe even Nissan. You can. Get some bargains on those https://www.pentagon-group.co.uk/vauxhall/new-van-offers
  9. ninjamunky

ninjamunky ¡Que buenos son! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think around 2010 was the last year you could get the high roof version of the TC in the US. I looked at a few, but I was specifically looking at cargo vans, and there were basically none in my area that old that weren't beat to shit.

I ended up with a year old Ram Promaster City that was a lease. Just under 12k miles when I bought it. It's much more roomy than the connect, but still pretty small. It would be hard to find one in your price range though since they've only been in the US for a few years.

It's a sweet van though, sold as the Fiat Doblo in Europe. In the US the come with a Chrysler drivetrain. 2.4l four cylinder with a 9 speed auto. It's a really good package for the little van.
  10. MrBob

Oddometer:
    They do tend to be pretty high mile vehicles in my area.
  11. MrBob

Oddometer:
    This is what I've been looking for: https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/d/work-van-in-great-condition/6448161471.html
    But this looks good too:
    https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/d/2013-ram-v-cargo-van-tradesman/6421153869.html
  12. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    Got a few in our fleet
    Tire pressure is 42psi front 46psi rear or something ridiculous like that
    Take a focus and up the cargo capacity by pumping up the tires lol
    Ilike our caravans way better. Much better in the snow with same brand winter tire, much faster and hauling capacity
    Tc wins for access a bit with the rear doors and height inside
    Caravan feels slightly larger in cabin and had way better visibility
    Tc has huge blind spots backing up is a wish and a prayer as the mirrors aren't very large either
  13. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that the Caravan came in a tradesman edition. I'll need to take a closer look.
  14. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I've been digging around on smallish vans as I have no place to park a trailer and my short commute means I could have a bike hauler/commuter/utility vehicle all in one.

The 118" wheelbase promaster is dimensionally much closer to the promaster city than I expected. it's 8" longer, 12" wider, and 16" taller - for pretty much the same price, has a lot more capacity with the v6 and greater towing if you ever needed it. low load floor due to front wheel drive. The only issue I see is the 7.5' height means a standard 7' garage door is out of the question.
  15. ninjamunky

Oddometer:
    They really aren't that close in size if you compare the two in person. The full size Promaster is much larger than the city.

I would love to have a Promaster but being that it's my daily driver the city made much more sense for me. It's much more maneuverable, easier to park, like you said I can fit it in the garage. Parking garages would be out of the question for the regular Promaster too. The city also gets close to 30 mpgs on the highway and I average around 25 overall.

I bought a one year old model that had just under 12k miles on it, previously a lease, for $17k. That is dirt cheap for a newer vehicle. It's awesome for camping, mountain biking, I can fit a motorcycle inside (though my KTM 250 just barely fits because of the height). With an 1800 lb payload it's plenty capable for me.

But yeah the full size Promaster is awesome. If it was a 2nd vehicle that's what I would have gotten. You could easily fit two, and maybe even three motorcycles in the back of one.
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy with my transit connect, it does what i need it to do, including towing a small trailer.

I've racked up ~22k miles since end of march, hasn't missed a step.

it WILL NOT fit a regular dirt bike in the back, i tried with the ttr250 (which is more ktm in height) and it wouldn't go. something smaller would.

for that the promaster city would be better.

ill likely be getting rid of my connect soon, i have vehicular ADD and its been almost a year.
  17. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I'm getting caught up, I hope.
    The VW Caddy is not available in the U.S. :(
    Dodge makes a Caravan Tradesman about the size of my Astro but it's really hard to find one.
    The Transit Connect is a smaller European version of the Transit and is available in the U.S..
    The Promaster is a Chrysler product larger than the Connect and new enough that I can't afford it.
    What am I missing in small vandom?
  18. ninjamunky

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid that pretty much covers it. The only other option is the Nissan NV200/ Chevy city express, and they are relatively new and no less expensive. Also I believe they are even smaller than the TC.

Another case where Europe gets the cool stuff. Small cargo vans are a relatively new thing to the US.
  19. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I think the City Express is supposed to replace the Astro but, yes, not something I can pay for out of savings and I won't go into debt.
  20. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    It comes in a normal cargo version
    No side windows
    Easily up fitted with cage and beacon and ladder racks
    Has bigger alternator and what not for charging tools running beacon