Forgotten Crash

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Rollin', Aug 6, 2019.

1. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have crashed a few times before and still remember them in almost second by second detail, like they were in slow motion but this time was very different.

I had ridden to Tuktoyaktuk and was heading south, I had completed 1000 of 1100 miles of gravel travel and had the best conditions of my time on the gravel. Hardpacked almost pavement like conditions, warm and I'm excited because I only had another 100 miles of gravel.
    The last thing I remember is seeing a grader in the road and then I'm standing next to the bike wondering what happened.
    A few riders that were behind me said I hit a berm in the road, went back and forth across the berm and went head/face first into the ground.
    I don't remember hitting the berm, hitting the ground, standing up and taking my helmet off or when they lifted my bike.

Why did I hit the berm? When I saw the grader I knew there could be a problem ahead.
    Did I fall asleep? Can you fall asleep and not wake up when things start going sideways?
    Did I pass out? Fatigue, dehydration, other health issues? I had been on a ride late and start early schedule.
    Concussion? I did hit my head and had a headache for a few days but I don't think it was a hard enough hit to cause a concussion but I don't remember hitting the ground.

Anyone have this happen? No memory of the crash.
    If there weren't other people to tell me some of the details I would have had no idea what happened here.

I don't know if the bike ended here or if they moved it off the road. Most of the damage was on the left side. I had an injured left elbow and a sore and swollen left hand, wrist and knee. I think I was lucky.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does sound like you were lucky!
    Hard hits to the head do strange things to the brain. That sure sounds like a concussion to me. I bonked my noodle pretty hard years ago snowboarding (a Christmas eve night session). I spent about 3 hours walking around Mt. Hood wondering where I was, and why I had blood on my face. I couldn't retain my previous second's memory to the next second for many hours. It took a few months or so before I figured out that I crashed, even though my friends who were there told me I had crashed. I'd like to think I'm normal now. Sometimes it's difficult convincing other though...
    Rollin' likes this.
  3. txbear55

txbear55 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Concussion for sure...
    Rollin' likes this.
  4. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ yes concussion...Happened to me as well....The one and only time I went down on the pavement in 25+ years of riding (AGATT - sand washed out the front wheel on left turn), I was stopped 10 miles or so later by a 2 nice LEO's, someone saw the crash and called them...I have no idea I went down, no idea or memory of up-righting the bike and starting it and riding on....when they caught up with me I was cruising along, doing the speed limit and riding normal..they pulled me just to make sure I was OK...After they checked me out (what's your name, what year is it, etc...) They let me continue on....No memory at all of going down. Every time I ride, I rub the long scratch mark on my helmet, the only indicator of what happened...reminding me I have knobbies on street, be careful! I been knocked out many times (BMX, Skateboarding pools & football), weird to have mins, hours or even 1/2 a day erased from your mind...Not looking forward to CTE when I get older.
    Whodatschrome and Rollin' like this.
  5. Cbrianroll

Cbrianroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Concussion is my suspicion....I rolled my jeep...I'm missing 3 days of memory, including the day of the wreck.
    Rollin' likes this.
  6. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the replies.
    I'm not missing much time. It's like a switch was turned off after I saw the grader and then was turned on again when I was standing next to the bike that had already been lifted. Not a lot of time but it's gone.
  7. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I mentioned this to you in another thread, but I had the exact same thing happen when riding dirt. I was riding along, saw a sandy patch at the last second and the next thing I knew I was sitting on the side of the road with my helmet off. Apparently I had an argument with my friend about taking off my helmet. I’ve never gotten back any of that time.
    Rollin' likes this.
  8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.

What you're doing right now is in the immediate or very short term memory. The silly irrelevant stuff will get forgotten. That's why sometimes you arrive at work with no memory of the drive there. The more important things (to you) will get sifted up to longer term memory. That's why you do remember that twit who cut you off, maybe.

When you slam your noggin, that whole process gets scrambled and interrupted. So sometimes none of that immediate or very short term memory gets processed, and none of it gets stored.

Even more fun, and you may later discover some of this later, with enough blows or a hard enough blow, the brain gets a bit more damaged and in the rewiring things get mixed. I've memories of things I've never done. They were pictures I've seen, movie scenes I've watched. But some have gotten scrambled into memories, not stories. As well the loss of things. I don't know about the losses of memories until I bump into them. Like talking with crew mates about countries we've visited that I no longer have any memory of, or old friends that I don't recognize.

Anyhow, nasty situation you were in on the road, it went sideways with somewhat spectacular results. But in the end, you're upright and able to continue on with your life. Ride on!
    Rollin' likes this.
  9. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    You had a TBI. Have you gone to the hospital yet?
    Rollin' likes this.
  10. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    I did not go to the hospital. This happened on July 3rd but still thinking about it.
    When I was standing next to the bike one of the riders that stopped to help said I should see a doctor and I said "why, nothing hurts, I don't think I hit the ground".
    And nothing did hurt at the time. I was 125 miles from the closest town, Dawson City and 3200 miles from home, the riders that stopped to help also said the bike would need to be towed. The dash was bent back against the fork so couldn't move the bars.
    We were able to loosen the dash bolts to get some movement and then I gave a dash one more pull and it moved enough to give the bars limited movement but enough to ride the bike to Dawson City.
    Two other riders said they would follow me to be sure I was okay. During the ride back everything started to hurt.
    After a few miles I stopped and told the riders they could go. Having them behind me was making me more nervous.
    It was a long, slow ride to Dawson City and I didn't see another vehicle, I had been lucky to have help when I needed it.
    I stopped at the first hotel I saw in Dawson City and got the last room, everything still seemed like a bad dream.

I was getting cleaned up at a hotel and noticed my left elbow, this was seven days later. I think I was very lucky that I could ride home.

[​IMG]
  11. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Uggg! that looks like it hurts...regarding TBI...as mentioned earlier I have been knocked out many times in my 48 years here on earth, some for a very long time (BMX jump...stranger found me knocked out in the street, took me to the hospital), Youth football, out for a few mins, surfing in Hawaii - saw stars/fade to black after being bonked in the head trying to duckdive a 10 foot wave, skateboarding pools..only out for a few minutes, Moto crash...no idea how long I was out but I was up and going like a robot.

So back to TBI...If we get a MRI would injuries show?

If I have "spots?" what can they do? I am fine now (wife may disagree) but wonder if ALL OF US on this thread should get checked out? and what can even be done?...Will I need to wear a name tag when I get older and write my address on my hand? Any way to "fix" TBI damage, maybe a Doc/medic/nurse can chime in. I hope you heal quick.
  12. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty good evidence that full face helmets work.

Glad you're OK.
  13. lefty80883

lefty80883 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got sideswiped by a truck in 2002 and last Halloween I hit a deer at 55 mph. I have zero memories of either impact. Both times someone had stopped
    to check on me and I have no recollection of speaking with either of them. This is after removing my gear and calling my wife to tell her to come pick me up.
    I don't remember doing that either.
  14. lefty80883

lefty80883 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am also glad you are okay.