Fork subtanks... are they for you?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah they would go right on the husky with my standard billet clamps. They are mostly used for dirt bikes and the way they usually mount is to the forks. They easily tuck in behind a number plate or moto style light. The 640 has a ton of crap going on under the fairing so there isn't any room to mount the tanks with the standard subtank mounts. So the headlight frame is the next best place and works out really good so you can reach the valves.
    My friend Javier at Trail Trick Suspension is putting some of these on a 950 adventure S and I think a 950 super enduro next week. So hopefully I can get some pics of the setup after he is finished.
  2. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing your latest goodies... none of them ever fit my bike (:lol3), but I appriciate the unique designs and workmanship never the less.
  3. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Dan should try a set... probably be nice to soften up a Husky SM suspension a bit for basic street riding.
  4. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually Creeper my bike is the TE but my interest in the Tanks is to stiffen it when I get my SM wheels. I think the front dives too much for agressive street riding and these would be a good solution from what you have posted. Gotta save the pennies for wheels and these are next on the list, a list that keeps growing :lol3...

Dan
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Gotcha... so, you plan to aid stiffer springs or raise the oil level to firm it up for SM, then open the valves for off-road? That would make sense.
  6. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:

:lol3 Awww fawk....I've met you. :deal you just don't remember the 80's.:lol3
  7. thouk

thouk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lincoln, Ne my hometown, Where I'm freezin
    Hey Y'all,
    Did I miss something or is there a website for these tanks? How much are they? Thanks, Tony
  8. thouk

thouk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lincoln, Ne my hometown, Where I'm freezin
    Never mind. I read the whole review a lot better. Thanks, Tony
  9. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool. I imagine any tanks that holds air pressure would do. The rest(lines and valves) any good hardware store would have.

I currenty run air in my KLR forks, helps alot. But to be able to dial it in while on the bike is a very good idea!!!!

I think I will make a set for my bike! YOU know you can just run one tank, no real need for two?
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    which one?
    [​IMG]
    :ear

Don't forget the main rule of riding Ricky - look where you want to go, not at the big rock in the middle of the trail!!!

Hang in there man - I was just in the city today and it was beautiful out; you had to enjoy that! And I too look forward to your designs Ricky; don't forget to let us Thumperettes know!

Oh yeah, since this is my first post in this thread... :lol3 Hey creeper or zerodog, what do you think the value of the subtanks would be to a 640a rider who definately needs spring and valving upgrades (the caliber of creeper's changes he listed above)? Should I try the tanks prior to upgrading the springs and valving or do you predict the adjustability of the subtanks will not compensate for my undersprung and stock-valved forks?
  11. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can run just one tank no problem.......until you tip over and oil gets into it. What is to say that that oil goes back equally into each leg? Also 1 tank needs to be much larger. If it were bigger it would be harder to mount. 2 smaller ones make it easier to find a place to put them. Yeah you could just buy stuff at a hardware store and build the set up out of PVC or whatever but it also looks like you did.:rofl I saw one guys set up that was a hose coiled up under a numberplate. It looked like he was smuggling a snake. I came up with this kit as an affordable alternative to what is already out there. It is finished looking, tested, and a complete kit.
  12. KenR

KenR Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay Zerodog, I'm convinced. I'll be in touch with you shortly about a set for the 450 and 640. Nice website BTW!
  13. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure about oil getting into the tank? I try not to spend too much time upside down:D

Yea, it would look like you made it, but you haven't seen my bike!:lol3
  14. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment on the website Ken. It is a work in progress. I still want that silencer, so we can work out some kind of trade.:D Did you get your new system yet?

Meat to answer your question. No, subtanks won't help compensate for an under sprung fork. They can help with a slightly over sprung fork though. With springs that are too soft the tanks will only make your bike softer and ride lower in the stroke. This isn't a good thing and a bad compromise. Springs would be a better investment. But as far as an upgrade instead of valving they are a good choice. You can just flip the switch to get your forks to ride different for the conditions. The ultimate is to have your bike sprung and revalved for your weight then add the tanks for further adjustment.
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob; not what I wanted to hear, but good feedback. I guess your very nice upgrade will have to wait for me to get my internals upgraded. And I was really looking forward to killing another bird with one stone: integrated bleed valves. You smart mutha you :thumb
  16. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The right springs are the most important suspension mod you can do. Without that as a base nothing will work as good as it could or should. If your springs are too light for you, your bike will have a harsh ride because your suspension is deeper in the stroke and is trying to ramp up. You miss the softest part of your travel.
  17. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    What's the total air volume of the tanks/tubes? If I do some fancy math, could I figure out what the equivalent open/closed difference in "oil level" would be? :ear
  18. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Each tank is 75ccs.
  19. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Great! Waitaminute, now I gotta do math... :lol3

I've gotta say, these have definitely piqued my interest. :nod
  20. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update on the Infinity Machine subtanks.

Having recently ridden a basketball size, rock garden trail, complete with foot deep rain ruts, I can say with a great degree of certainty that these subtanks are the absolute shit... really. :nod

Rode to Mt. St. Helens area from the Seattle area with the subtank valves closed, nice firm fork with minimal brake dive.
    Stopped for a 'samich, opened the subtank valves, and hit the trails... nice, compliant forks that tracked the rocks instead of bouncing off them.

So are subtanks a valid, functional bit of kit for dual sports? You betcher ass they are.

So there ya' go. If there was such a thing as the "Creeper Seal of Approval"... they'd be stuck to these subtanks.
    Right up there with a Scott's steering damper as one of the best things I ever stuck on my 640.

Ciao,
    C