Fork subtanks... are they for you?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Aug 27, 2006.

1. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes would agree with you re ourselves on/off is sufficient, the new valves have been introduced since this thread was running & I thought it has so much of what we need to understand why not build on it with info on the new valves & see what zerodog thinks of them

Really appreciated the info all of you put into the thread, it was a good read & very helpful in understanding it all
  2. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Been running and using sub tanks for years, rode around the world with them.

They are a street/dirt flip a lever type of thing plus it is EASY to vent the air build up that is inevitable when you ride long distances on rough roads.

I revalved, lowered and subtanked my machine, never looked back.

Been in the forks several times for routine maintenance.
    No issues there, done 30k miles with the tanks and the revalve 'speced' in other threads by the dog himself. Never resprung my fork because I shortened the springs to lower the front. That stiffened the spring sufficiently.

Any questions call my cell, 715 966 2001.
    bill
  3. Aarono2

Aarono2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to replace the older adjustable valve with the newer on/off valve?
  4. Aarono2

Aarono2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone? I emailed Infinity Machine and Design over a week ago with no response.
  5. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Try calling.
    bill

6. Aarono2

Aarono2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still unable to get ahold of them(tried email and phone). Anyone know if they are still around?
  7. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Maybe the end of an era Z-dog, Rob got into photoshoots for professional cage fighting so he may not be active anymore except for his old customers.

Not sure.
    I got him last winter and he did a rear shock for me then.

bill
  8. Retro Rider

Retro Rider xt 500 & 600

Oddometer:
    Can one still get these subtanks and what do they go for?
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there are other brands. The problem is you may not find Rob's simple "on/off" valve. I was told most subtanks had a completely adjustable valve that a race tuner would use to fine tune suspension. Way beyond most mere mortal's needs.

I've had his subtanks for years - After putting them on I simply open them in the slower technical stuff, then close them for everything else. They were part of a complete suspension rework (shock done by Rob; forks done by Superplush) so I can't say what portion of "works great" they account for...
  10. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I been using framebreaker subtanks since 2007.
    [​IMG]

This is my rule of thumb guideline:
    For faster stuff.... desert, cc, h/s, where av. speed is 35 mph and up, I close my tanks off, rebound set to default.
    For general trail duty & enduros, w/ av. speed ~20-30 mph, I open them 50%, rebound 2 -4 clicks softer from default.
    For ROCKS, LEDGES, slow technical stuff w/ av. speed under 20 mph, 100% full open, rebound 4-8 clicks softer from default.
    imho... these subtanks change the last 1/2 of the fork travel; it don't have any affect in the 1st 1/2.

note: these framebreakers are best used on twin chamber forks:
    2002 on up Showa TC, 2006 on up KYB SSS, 2007 on up WP CC
    davesupreme likes this.