Forks revalved

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Greg Minor, May 31, 2004.

1. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I had Precision concepts revalve and install stiffer springs in my forks. This is such an improvement. The first really noticable improvement was from a mid stroke harshness that felt like bottoming when I would hit a square edge bump or rock. but the thing I like best is that the front end behaves much better. Sat I rod 300 miles of which 100 was off road I was so much more confident that I even started taking corners up on the pegs where before I was so unsure that I might loose the front end that I always took corners sitting so I could get a foot down if the front end decided to go its own way. I also did this with 32 LBs of air in the front tire (TKC) where I ran 15-18 before which was asking for flats and dents in the rim not to mention trouble on the road. If I had more street oriented tires I'm sure the stiffer springs would be very benificial under hard braking but I don't push it on the pavement but boy off road I was maintaining a clip on the fireroads and jeep trail = to a real dirt bike this was the best $275 I have spent on my bike Jimmy Lewis mentioned this modification briefly in a post I highley reccommend it
  2. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    Its interesting - I had my 450EXC revalved and new springs for the same reason. High speed compression harshness to the point it would deflect badly off square edges. As the forks on the 950 are the same I guess its not surprising they do the same thing (although I am sure they start out with different spring/valving). Anyway, good info as I am hoping to get a 950 into my garage by year end. :thumb
  3. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Greg,
    Are your forks revalved or did they got stiffer springs? Do you know what kind of springs they've put in? Must be something like 5.0 N/mm.

Are you a big/heavy guy or not?
  4. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Max I got both revalved and new springs and yes the are 5.0 the heaviest they could get
  5. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    OK that makes sense. I've been thinking about doing the same with mine. The S is a little too 'nose happy' for spirited road riding IMO. About a foot of dive kinda unsettles the bike. :D
  6. SST

SST Lost again...

Oddometer:
    Greg,

See I told ya so!! :nod Glad you like the re-valve. As you know, I had my 950 forks "done" (stiffer springs and re-valve) by Precision Concepts a few weeks ago and have found the same results. Definitely better handling in the sand, less front end dive and no bottominmg except on all but the biggest hits. Big improvement.

I can now ride sand whoops right along side my buddies on a KTM 525, Husaberg 550 and a modified DRZ 400. :thumb Yahooo....

Definitely recommend Precision Concepts.

Bob