1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Form, function and comfort, a Frisco Chopper build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by n8mandy, Sep 23, 2019.

1. n8mandy

n8mandy Just hangin' around

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of doing two tone so as to take a little visually away from it's hugeness

upload_2020-1-6_17-35-45.jpeg
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  2. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    So, I should have included all of the iterations that the bike may go through.

As I've pointed out on many posts, one of the greatest things about the Sportster is the ridiculously huge aftermarket. I've been told that it has the biggest aftermarket of any bike made and considering the amount of time it has been in production, the numbers sold and the amount of customization that people do of their Harleys; it wouldn't surprise me if it is true.

So while I'm shooting for a Frisco chopper, I want something that can travel when necessary.

There are so many different ways that it can be done. One is the classic touring chopper style:

upload_2020-2-23_15-2-36.jpeg

That's what I'll do when I'm going on a weekend or day trip in warm weather.

... but if it's cold, like I'm sure it will be when my buddy and I ride from Santa Cruz to our alma mater outside of Chicago next year, I'm gonna want some wind protection. So I bought one of these the other day:

[​IMG]
  3. Donson

Donson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any updates?
  4. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    Yeah actually. Things have been crazy, we were unexpectedly moved to SAN Diego and have covid depressed 3 high schoolers, new job for me, yadda, yadda, yadda...
    So the bike just became a long distance bike for the trip down here and is now a commuter in order to lane split, so it may lose the Frisco-ness and become a Sport King.
    Anyway, I bought this so I don't have to hang on as much:
    16032352548047866603835207285600.jpg
    (We got the covid puppy Bruce, since my last post as well.)
    and got these:
    16032350812764757741262144938721.jpg

But I'm not crazy about the Progressive 412's so I ordered Road King air shocks that I probably will throw on it.

I also added the bicycle cruiser seat cover because the sprung seat was too uncomfortable.
  5. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    For the Sport King conversion I bought these:

1603235691260436975201877303905.jpg
    Dagnabbit Bruce, stay out of the shot!
  6. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    More Bruce required, introduction please...
  7. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    16033091499501901900962426289867.jpg Bruce, Wildebeest. Wildebeest, Bruce.
  8. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Nice to meet you Bruce, hope to see you on the thread more often, not just dashing through it. It would seem Mrs W has a thing about your paws and squeezing them for some pad action...Her words not mine.... :sweeti
  9. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    He's a Cockapoo from Japser, MO, although I prefer calling him a cockadoodle. We got him in March during the covid. It was early enough that the airline wanted us to quarantine for 14 days, so we flew out from Nor Cal, rented a mini van and my wife, 3 teenagers, Bruce and Duke (Bruce's brother that our next neighbor bought) drove back on the 70 to the loneliest road in America, the 50.

It would have been a great family vacation, but my 17 y/o Chloe tripped and jacked up her knee trying to save the dog. I had to carry her into the bathrooms and use wheelchairs and even a luggage cart to get her to the hotel rooms. So we just raced home instead of looking at pretty, closed National Parks.

Fyi, if you want a Cockapoo, Goldendoodle or a Cavapoo, check out Kingdom Dogs, Jason is great and quite a bit less expensivethan other breeders.
  10. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, that pad fetish.

They were so soft when he was a newborn. They're still softer than our old girl's pads, but not as nice. If you ever head down to San Diego, he would love the attention.

P.S. I'll put a picture of our black lab, Ginger in the next post.
    Wildebeest90210 likes this.
  11. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    0503160732.jpg

Her dad was a full papered black lab and Mom was a terrier. One of her brothers turned put to be a low rider black lab and another is just a muttadoodle. She was the runt.
  12. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    We recently came to the end of restoring a vintage cat, nice to see your creatures. Horace was prominent in my build threads and was familiar to some on ADV, sorely missed after 19 1/2 years.
    Tempted by a sausage dog, we across the pond so can't take up your advice on 'poo breeders, unless UPS do a very good line in ventilated packing.....
    I have to squint a bit while posting this otherwise eyes leak....

36189185_1959192997444402_997950812460154880_n.jpg
  13. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Feel I should add a UK sportster frisco pic after a massive pet threadjack :D

[​IMG]
  14. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    I'm so sorry, it's brutal to lose one of the furry children.
  15. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see it but the link is broken.
  16. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, not ready for another but it's good to live vicariously with others hence my request for a Bruce intro :beer
  17. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    I just lost my 13 yo Cocker Spaniel last week.

It sucks!

:2cry
  18. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    13 is a really good innings, have to think about the good times...of which there must have been many, concentrate on those for now and it'll get easier as he/she goes to legend status..
  19. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    The legend status is so true. When we lost our first one, we talked her up so much to our neighbors (who had a Schnauzer that they referred to as a demon because it was so mean) they referred to her as Beth the Wonderdog. Sorry for your loss Cowboy.
  20. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    So as to get the thread back on track (and distract from the depressing topic,) I somewhat regretted only referring to a Frisco in this post because I always knew that I would probably change it around a ton. Now that it's a commuter and I always seem to have a ton of stuff to take to work with me,* I feel like I should have said something to the effect of "Form, function and comfort, a Frisco... for now" or something like that.

Part of what has put me off is the ugliness of the crap that is on the underside of the top tube. I was so convinced that I wanted ABS as a little extra insurance and I know that I couldn't have hacked a rigid mount or even a solid mount due to a bad back. I'd love to have a "softail" Sportster frame but can't afford one. The actual Softail frames are too long for the propah original Frisco ascetic. By the way, DON'T LENGTHEN THE NEW SPORTSTER FRAME HARLEY!

I think the cheapest option would be to take one of the "softail" metric frames and fab new motor mounts, tranny mounts, etc but even that would be more than I would ever spend due to being frugal. I went with a Sporty bc there are a million dealerships out there for when I travel and the aftermarket is amaze-balls. Also, the Sporty is a great platform to be whatever you want.

I didn't have a commute when I was in the Santa Cruz Mountains because I was the head pastor of a church and the parsonage that we lived on was on the church grounds. Now I have a commute so I need a little more practicality. If I was just commuting and didn't need to bring anything, I would probably change it to a street tracker because I spend time on super slab and want my feet under me when I'm running fast. I mostly use the passenger pegs when I'm touring but I want immediate access to the rear brakes because of all the traffic.

Now that the Sporty plays a different role, I may eventually just buy a metric bike as my cruise around Frisco but probably not because of cost and my secondary bikes just have a tendency to sit.

All that to say... I misnamed the thread. :D
    Mr. Fixit and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.