Forma Terra Evo - failed ankle brace...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sniper1rfa, Nov 14, 2018.

1. sniper1rfa

sniper1rfa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought these would be the first ever waterproof-liner boots with decent hard ankle support. Sadly, not the case; the stitching on the ankle support failed almost immediately - within a couple days. Probably will happen again if they repair/replace them. Two thumbs down.

Somebody needs to make a boot with a gore liner and real ankle support. The sidi adventures were pretty close, but the ankle support is only rigid in one lateral direction. :-/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tigra82 likes this.
  2. clogan

clogan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's shoddy work. You deserve your $ back!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    DesertDonor and Tigra82 like this.
  3. Biddles

Biddles Suck it easy!

Oddometer:
    Those moon walkers shouldn't fall apart so easily.
  4. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Alpinestars Toucan.
    Spam16v likes this.
  5. sniper1rfa

sniper1rfa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The alpinestars only have a hard ankle pivot on one side, which means they'll only have lateral support in one direction (can't push on a rope). My Adventure 2's had the same problem - one of the ankle supports was only supported by the leather at the lower part of the boot, so they were very flexible in one direction.
  6. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    sniper1rfa, did you buy those from us? If so please PM me.

As long as they were bought from a US supplier, and not gray marketed from Europe, you should be able to warranty them. I will add that is not typical.

Hope that helps.

BP
  7. sniper1rfa

sniper1rfa Adventurer

Oddometer:

They were not "gray marketed" from europe. They were bought from europe. Legally and legitimately. :fpalm

Anyway, I did warranty them, they were replaced, and the new ones have started to fail in the same place almost immediately. I'd post pictures, but it's pointless because it's identical to the old pictures.

There is zero chance that this is not typical; no product fails that quickly or consistently because of an irregular flaw. The hinge design is garbage, and it puts unmanageable stress on a seam that's stitched with very slippery synthetic thread.

I'm not a fan of putting manufacturers on blast, but come on. I bought these because they have a hinge on both sides - turns out it's junk.
    DesertDonor and Tigra82 like this.
  8. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bump,

Anyone have experience with these Forma Terra Evo's?

Im trying to find a boot with good ankle support/protection but not a full MX boot and not the sidi Adventure 2 because they use fake leather and have a fake stitched on sole along with their $500 price tag
    DesertDonor likes this.
  9. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everything I've had from Fox over the last few years has fallen apart after 1-3 rides. Their stuff is garbage nowdays imo. Used to be really good, but seems those days are gone.
  10. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thread is refering to the brand "Forma" boots "Terra Evo" not fox
  11. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I had a pair of Fox Forma boots and thought that this is what the thread referred to. Is Forma not owned by fox?
  12. Dons1911

Dons1911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Forma Terra Evo's that'll be one year old tomorrow, bought from Forma USA. I've worn them for over 10k miles, lotta road and lotta forest. The first week I had them one of the ankle supports came apart at the hinge. Certainly made me doubt them. I contacted Forma USA in Nevada and they assured me this is not normal. He sent a replacement pair out without seeing the bad pair since I was leaving in a few days for a cross country trip. This pair has been great. Super comfy and stays dry. Except for riding thru St Louis in a torrential downpour, my left foot got wet. I was really bummed out until that night setting up camp. It was the I realized that when I put them on that morning, I failed to tuck in the rain gaiter, and it was hanging out. Since I needed a tall pair of paints and didn't have one, the paint leg rode up and funneled the water right into my boot. Lesson learned, riding on. Been in lots of rain here in the Pacific NorthWet, and still dry. I really like mine. I just went to check them over for the same problem the OP has described, and thankfully mine are fine. Apparently YMMV...
  13. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How would you describe the lateral ankle protection and overal movement when compared to something like the sidi adventures, or another commonly available boot
  14. Dons1911

Dons1911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Close to, but just not quite as good as the Sidi's I looked at. I went with the Terra Evo's over the Sidi based on price, special promotion and all..
    kevinA likes this.
  15. ghostrider990

ghostrider990 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the Sidi Adventure for this very reason; the most protection, and reputation of quality.
    Replaced a set of TCX that were replaced for a missing shin-plate in the manf. process.

Only complaint with the Sidi's is the squeakniness.....but fair trade for protection.

gr
  16. unit3890

unit3890 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't they are owned by Fox. I think they are an independent boot company from Italy but a little googling will give you the answers you seek...
  17. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same place, pretty much.

Not thrilled about the Sidi Adventure 2 either. Too pricey to have a fake stitched-on sole and fake leather. The squeaking probably wouldn't bother me though - I always ride with earplugs, so I typically won't hear it! :)

Where does the squeaking come from though? Friction between layers that's likely to fade with time & breaking-in? Or is it from the ankle joints? I would think the latter could be remedied with a lubricant.

Tried on a couple of MX boots at a Cycle Gear last week. Wayyyyy too heavy and clunky; I'd like to be able to walk around when off the bike. I was also a bit shocked to find that even the really expensive MX boots (like the Sidi Crossfire 3 and Alpinestars Tech 10) aren't really waterproof. WTF, do MX folks only ride in perfectly dry conditions?

What I'm seeing above about the Forma Terra Evos failing, repeatedly and in the same way, does not inspire confidence.

I was looking at the Forma Adventure, but was thinking of something with more ankle support, just in case.

I can't find info on what CE levels the Terra Evos meet. Are they 2 2 2? EN 13634:2015? Guess I'll have to call/chat Revzilla.
  18. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    You can often find used, like new, Sidis for low dollars. I got a pair for $150, almost brand new!
  19. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The forma adventures basically have no ankle support to prevent rolling an ankle despite their looks. They are basically a touring boot that looks pretty rugged and with traction for walking in dirt. I personally would not wear them if I was riding off-road at any speed other than slow on a pretty well maintained dirt road
    Spam16v likes this.
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they're CE 2 all around - which honestly most adv boots should be meeting since it's not testing ankle torsion.
    DesertDonor likes this.