Forum Appearance and Usability Tweaks

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by James Adams, Jul 14, 2015.

1. shwaz

shwaz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:
    Nothing specific to comment on here, but fwiw I'm a user experience designer with a Master's degree in HCI from Carnegie Mellon.

If I can be of use (get it, "use?") in terms of usability or user experience as it relates to the forum or site, hit me. But not in the face.
  2. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May i ask why the bikes subforums changed names?
    And WHY the beasts forum named "Beasts: Uge Adventure Bikes Not Made By BMW or KTM" ?
    Why this discrimination?BMW-KTM and the....others not made by them?
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because there are a significant number of people too dumb to figure it out on their own? :dunno
  4. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the ads are for support of the site , but we seem to have so many . Is there a chance of cutting them down some.
    Andrew likes this.
  5. MrKiwi

MrKiwi old enough that I should know better Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can use an ad blocker

Because I like this site and wanted to support it I paid a subscription. No more adds . .
    dunc, Rudy and DunkingBird like this.
  6. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Thoughts on ditching the Like button?

The theory initially floated was that it would decrease the quantity, while increasing the quality, of posts.

IMO,it has served to decrease quality and increase tribalism.

Nothing is more low-energy than hitting Like! rather than post a well crafted or thoughtful reply.

[​IMG]
  7. Rudy

Rudy Learnin' Administrator

Oddometer:
    interesting question, @Baldy would the best person to give some context on the introduction of it. I think most likely it's not going to leave anytime soon, i'll attach likes by month since 2013. That being said, maybe expanding or moving to more current emojis when we upgrade the forum software to xenforo 2.1 might make sense?

Post Likes by month.JPG
  8. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize the Like button had been around since 2015.

Is there any data correlating Likes! with decreased post quantity?

Has it reduced server load, as first described?
  9. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    I completely disagree with your views that the like button has decreased quality and increased tribalism
    me3 and Andrew like this.
  10. Rudy

Oddometer:
    Hard to know if the net result was reduced server load as the load has gone up fairly consistently, we just have so much media and search traffic that's going up that we can't really solve for that question.

From some conversations with Baldy and mods and pure conjecture but it feels it did help with members who wanted to give positive reinforcement without having to make a post like "love this" or "great post" etc.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Please don't remove the like function. Perhaps Xf has option to let an inmate opt-out of seeing likes on posts?
  12. Rudy

Oddometer:
    :) given the usage it's not leaving. What's your take on the use of more emojis as feedback (not just within posts)?
  13. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Emojis outside of posts? vBulletin used to let you assign one of a handful of emojis to a thread you started, that was lost in the move to xenforo. But not a hard loss, I prefer to see emojis in the body of a post, not outside.
  14. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This makes sense to me and in this respect, I would keep this option. I often do without a Like when someone has already received a lot of Likes for a post.
    A simple answer is a simple answer.
    [​IMG]

MrKiwi likes this.
  15. SpecialKev

SpecialKev IT Screwer Upper Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the newer XF version, which we'll get to some day, "Likes" are replaced with "Reactions" so you can Love a post, Hate a post, Like a post, Thumbs Up a post, and whatever else we decide to use. Then each of those reactions are represented by an emoji, similar to facebook.
    =o&o> and Rudy like this.
  16. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    And I like that range of reactions. Been using that for a little now on another site
    Rudy likes this.
  17. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Good to know.
  18. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    The graph of Like from 2015 still confuses me; was that function operational then??

Nonetheless, given all of that,I maintain that Like!, internet wide, is naught but a popularity contest and a shortcut to thinking.

Much of the discussion wrt FB and Insta has to do with 'safe spaces' and the 'mental and emotional component' of the like/dislike,approval/disapproval of user content.

Perhaps all of that is valid,perhaps not- though the inherent tribalism of social media these days seems both inherent and undeniable.

'Like' is not a way of saying- good content/contribution; rather, it's become a way of saying your thoughts/feelings/opinions align with mine and,together, we align with the group norm.

As a result, varying and opposing viewpoints are often marginalized.

See CSM,here, for ample examples; see FB for much more.

I do like the range of reaction option but continue to prefer a cogent reply to an 'Attaboy.

YMMV- and that's OK.