Forum Appearance and Usability Tweaks

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by James Adams, Jul 14, 2015.

1. James Adams

James Adams Grizzly User Supporter

Oddometer:
    It might not be too bad. I think I can have it automatically expand quotes that don't have an author, so large blocks contained in plain [QUOTE] tags will always show in their entirety. But if you use a [QUOTE="wxwax, post: 27369336, member: 59"] sort of quote (like in a reply), then they would be expandable as they are now.
  2. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :thumb That would be great. Maybe make the font one size larger, too?
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm using the Black Responsive and have a request regarding user names.

The user name appears below the avatar, which is counterintuitive. I think it would be better to put the user name over the avatar.

On a related note, after many requests, Baldy moved the time stamp to the top of the post, which is much better, but now the user name is redundantly in front of the time stamp where it feels like it's in the way. My suggestion would be to remove the user name from that line and make the time stamp slightly larger.

Thanks James,

Jamie
  4. James Adams

Oddometer:
    This makes a lot of sense to me and I think we can rework that area. It looks a bit odd in the mobile view as well.

I see where you're coming from, but I'd like to get some more input on this one from other users.
  5. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I prefer the name below the avatar, it seems the intuitive place for me. I prefer it this way as it is then associated with other text about the user, rather than having text- picture - text. Better to have picture - text (When viewing the information in a vertical hierarchy)

I do tend to think that the name with the time the post is made is a little redundant.
    Eurastus and SnowMule like this.
  6. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Agree.
  7. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    We used to be able to do this in "Edit Options":

Visible Post Elements
    You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
    Show Signatures
    Show Avatars
    Show Images (including attached images and images in code)
    ============================================

It was nice to be able to leave out selected items.
    Any chance this will return?

:ricky
  8. James Adams

Oddometer:
    In your preferences, you can turn on and off signatures, but not avatars and images. I don't see any add-ons available for XenForo that will let you selectively hide avatars and images in posts, so I don't think that these features will return any time in the near future. :(
  9. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked the ability to organize my subscribed (now "watched") threads in folders. Any chance of something similar?
  10. Herr Bae M. Vae

Herr Bae M. Vae Insurgent Squirrel

Oddometer:
    Hi y'all,

I'd like to suggest a minor tweak in order to solve a problem I've noticed. The forum category Bikes>Beasts>British Beasts: Triumph Tigers is too specific. There are far more British bikes that we could be serving than just the Triumph Tiger. The other two Bikes>Beasts categories are not as specific and include one for all Japanese bikes, one for all Italian bikes, and there probably should be another for all other makes. The result is British bikes being limited to Tigers only and all of the other British makes and models having no representation or place for discussion.

One popular model, the Triumph Scrambler, had a thread started (incorrectly) under the Tiger category, but because the thread is actually inside Tigers category no other Scrambler threads are ever started. So this Scrambler thread is now about 10 years old and well over 1000 pages. In has become quite unwieldly and it is near impossible to ever find what you're looking for. People will often post that they've been reading the Scrambler thread for weeks and are almost halfway through. Then they might ask a question that has been covered many times. And because it is the only thread discussing Scramblers every imaginable topic is discussed in this thread. It amounts to thousands of Scrambler riders talking all at once about different topics, one topic constantly interrupting another. The result is most posts are ignored or never explored because the next post is someone changing the subject. This isn't helpful.

Now I don't suggest killing this impressive Scrambler thread. It has become a sort of right of passage for noobs and it's a great place for general topic kinda stuff. But I do have a suggestion that I hope can be considered.

This problem could be solved by simply deleting the mention of Triumph Tigers in the title of this category and retitling it to include all British makes and models. Then people would be free to start new threads for more specific topics for better discussions about any British Beast.

Thanks for listening. Cheers.
    Human Ills and MrKiwi like this.
  11. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    When making a post and you want to check it for clarity and check your photos and whatnot, it would be nice to have the Preview button on screen. Right now, you have to click on the options button, and then Preview. Any way to get the Preview button on the main post dialog box?

Jamie
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :scratch When I write a post and embed photos or videos, I see them as if the post were already live. It has actually fooled me a couple of times. They call it WYSIWYG? What you see is what you get?
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's kinda like that. Maybe it's just old habit. When I make a long post, especially with pics, I want to look at it how it'll appear on the forum.

Jamie
  14. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    You mean, without having to scroll inside the little message box? In VB the box was expandable, IIRC.
  15. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    what's so difficult about "Options...", "Preview"? :dunno
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Nothing is difficult about it, but if you look at the composition dialog box, there are two buttons in the space below it (in some forums there is a third button to upload a photo). Post Reply and Options. If you click on Options, you get two more buttons: Reply and Preview. From my point of view, there isn't even a need for the Options button at all. The only reason it's there is so you can access the Preview button. There is more than enough room for a Preview button on the main screen.

I'm always looking for efficiency, and if you can put a frequently used button (is it frequently used? I don't know. I know I use it frequently.) within easy reach, why not?

Jamie
  17. JerryAtrick

JerryAtrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been away for a while. Does any of this techno change explain why I no longer find the photo collage on the home page...my very most favorite thing about ADV!
  18. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

It is one of the things that Baldy is working on.

Here you go.

https://baldy.smugmug.com
    MrKiwi likes this.
  19. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    New ADV forum software is looking and working good Thanks for the update!
  20. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know this probably isnt the place for this, but i'll throw it out for the OP's attention...

It seems the 'notifications' for subscribed threads isnt consistently working.
    I've had 3 threads fail to notify me of new posts to the threads.