Forum newbie with a trip report (New Zealand)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GSL, May 13, 2002.

1. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Here was the most important rule of the road for the entire trip. It was odd at first and took about a day to get used to riding on the wrong, er, I mean, left ;) side of the road. I'm just really glad I didn't have to do it in a car!

[​IMG]

So, we fly into Aukland International Airport and are greeted by someone that we had only previously met on the internet. She picks us up and do we go straight to her house for some much needed rest after the grueling 14hour flight? No! Straight out to the woods to go riding! :D Her husband is out there waiting for us and has a KTM 380 for me to ride and a trials bike for my wife. We proceeded to spend the rest of the day riding through the woods with our new friends.

Ok, first impressions? Damn! Motorcycles have a LOT more power at sea level. (I had never previously ridden below 5,000 feet)

Anyway, here's a pic of our new Kiwi friends and the loaner bikes. Yes, that's the Pacific Ocean in the background. More of that later...
    [​IMG]
  2. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Lunch break. Yep, that's about 300 people who showed up for a casual trail ride! :D

[​IMG]

After lunch, we had a minor traffic jam at the stream crossing that gets you onto the beach...
    [​IMG]

And then we arrived...
    [​IMG]

And there was much rejoicing... Actually, there's no sicker feeling than being wide open in top gear, racing down the beach and hitting a patch of soft sand and wondering what your body looks like doing repetitive cartwheels... :p
    [​IMG]
  3. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Not bad for the first 2 days of a 17 day vacation! :D

Then it was time to move on. We thanked our Kiwi friends for the use of their bikes and went on to pic up our trusty steed for the remainder of the trip. Since it was just me and Jen touring 2-up on a beemer I don't have any action shots. Lots of twisty roads, mountains, glaciers, twisty roads, waterfalls, ocean, beaches, did I mention twisty roads...

[​IMG]

Incredibly blue waterfalls...
    [​IMG]

More blue water, beach and coastline...
    [​IMG]

A very choice 2-up bike...
    [​IMG]
  4. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    The only pull-off that I could find for a pic...
    [​IMG]

The "Remarkables" mountain range in Queenstown...
    [​IMG]

The only real proof that it was us on the trip...
    [​IMG]
  5. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Pancake Rocks, a coastal geologic formation that was really cool.
    [​IMG]

And finally, did I mention twisties? This "straight" section of road ended in what was more typical, a 25-35 kph posted corner (that's 15-20 mph to you and me)...
    [​IMG]
  6. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's trip...

I'm trying, Chaplain, I'm trying. It's not working....
  7. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Well, well, well.... Lookie who's house I stumbled into. Toad, thank you for showing me the light, well, ok, not-so-light GS. :huh It has positioned itself somewhere in the top 3 spots of my possible next ride, after I sell the R12C (reportedly soon). I plan to take a long test ride this coming weekend and will let you know how it goes!

Until then... :rofl

[​IMG]
  8. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures. Sounds like you had a blast. I was there in February for 12 days on a rented GS. I believe some of the best scenery, best roads and best people in the world are to be found in NZ.

Definitely going back some day

-BS
  9. elemental

elemental Tainted Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I agree, NZ rocks!
    Nice pics csl
  10. Dutchman

Dutchman Diskussionsleiter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum, CSL......fantastic pictures.....I'll wager some will find their way in to Baldy's Hall of Fame......heh, Herr Baldmeister..................?:):

Roll on 2004............NZ & OZ!!:1drink
  11. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Uh, no, Razorbak, that is actually called a "trials" bike (note the tread pattern on the tire). Although, I use the word "trials" loosely so as to not start a debate.... :rofl :rofl

Yes, that is CJ's backside, and since she has invaded two other forums where I post, I have not invited her here. Truth is, she wants an F650 so bad she can taste it. But alas, BMW offers no bikes for the insanely vertically challenged. She sat on an F650GSL (factory lowered) last weekend and it had some potential (although heavy). We shall see. It still needs to come down another inch or two. In the meantime, she's quite happy on her Duc Monster, and has a DR200 for dual-sporting (again, a term I use loosely :huh ). :1drink

For anyone who's thinking that a trip to NZ is in their future, I have nothing but good things to say about it!! I WILL be going back. The US$ is trading so good that the only expensive part of the trip was the plane ticket over, and even that was only slightly more than a ticket to Europe. We had the rental bike for 11 days for $1200 US, a little less than renting a BMW in the states.

For accomodations, we stayed at a couple homestays and B&B's. $30-40/night USD. Next time, I will skip all hotels and do nothing but homestays. Kiwis are quite possibly the friendliest people in the world and spending a night in someone's house, really getting a chance to have good, warm conversation with the locals, was a treat.

Thanks for the comments on the pics. I finally gave in to the digital world for this trip. I have resisted for a long time due to image quality, but these actually turned ok (thank you Nikon!). Not as good as the 35mm slides we took, but good enough for the Inet.

Cheers, :1drink
  12. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Fuck you CSL, here I am sticking up for you on the other threads and you did not even invite me on this trip. :rofl

Geeeeeze, the nerve of some

Love the pics. That little Island is on my list of must do's

Glad you had a great time.
  13. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy CSL,

I enjoyed your trip report and pictures, thanks for sharing.:super