1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Forza vs Burgman 200

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cbolling, Feb 12, 2015.

1. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little better than the motorcycle.com articles but what about a comfortable cruising speed for the bike?

You have two bikes that are supposed to be adept at running the highway yet we know nothing about it from the article.

Range?

Most articles say the Burgman is very well suspended and the Forza is a jackhammer.

Justgottascoot does the best reviews by far. You would think somewhat instrumented testing would take place but that apparently requires effort.
  3. AMAC1680

AMAC1680 Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
    That said it was a strange combo.

Be Big,
    AMAC
  4. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't ride either but looked at and sat on both a couple hours apart, intending to buy one or the other.

To my eye, the Burgman was nicer finished as well as more comfortable, and the storage looked very useful.

The Forza seat was awful (can be fixed for $), the dash cubby doors wobbly & cheap, and the underseat storage limited by its shape. It would hold a lot of ping pong balls, but in terms of being useful for riding gear or groceries, it does not compare to the Burg. The Burg felt a lot lighter, which of course it is.

The Honda was around $400 more expensive, and had I bought either one, I would have chosen the Burgman.

As it was, playing with the PCX after messing with the Burgman and the Forza convinced me both the larger scooters just feel too large; I loved the lightness of the 150 (and as it has a roomier cockpit). So I saved almost $2,000 and bought a new leftover '13 PCX.
  5. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    This is of course the challenge that each scooter rider has to confront sooner or later. To get the 'good stuff' (storage, speed, features, two up capability) you have to trade off the nimble, light, efficient nature of the smaller scooters.

Finding the right mix per individual is tough, and almost impossible for any one vehicle to achieve, which is why so many folks have multiple scooters or scooters + motorcycles. The best option will always be a bit of a compromise.
  6. JoshM

JoshM 2011 HD FLHTK

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly.

When I was looking for a scoot, all i could ever find was the top speed. I don't care about the top speed, to a point. Yes, the PCX150 has a top speed of ~62mph. However, expecting to get over 50-55mph on most rural hwys is foolish from my experience. Yes, it could be my fat@ss, but I only saw 60+ when going down a long hill.

When asking folks about the Forza on the PCX/Forza forum, they all pretty much agreed that 65mph is a sweet spot for comfortable cruising.
  7. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wisdom here.

My decision would have been different if I didn't have a motorcycle.

Wifey's scoot is much more capable than the PCX, but it is (or will soon be) her only 2 wheeler (once her Super Sherpa is sold).
  8. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    She has good taste. :)
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a gorgeous machine. I hope it is as fun as it looks.

[​IMG]

Photo from the original owner (winter here)

We've not previously ventured away from the big 4 Japanese, and I'm hoping for reliability as well as beauty.
  10. syncro87

syncro87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder what kind of deal you can get on a Burg 200 in the real world? If you shop around and are willing to travel a bit, you can find some big discounts on the Forza. My dad got one for $4300 out the door including sales tax and dealer fee. Pre-fees price $3800. Brand new off the showroom floor. Non-ABS.
  11. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    The deals I had on the table were '14 Burg 200 ABS for $4550, '14 Forza ABS for $4,850, both plus only sales tax. Bikes in Canada are typically 10-15% higher.
  12. Pilgrim21784

Pilgrim21784 Pilgrim21784

Oddometer:
    My $0.02: That review is highly inaccurate - IMNHO. They are two fairly different rides. I looked seriously at the Forza, test rode it and couldn't find an ABS model in my area so I bought the Burgman 200 - glad I did. The weight difference was important to me and ABS a must - the valve service interval is the only downer I am aware of so far. Fit/finish between Honda (have owned 3 and am a Honda fan) and Suzuki in my experience are on par.

The article states the B200 MPG at 60 MPG. Well I guess mine is extra super special - my average MPG at over a 1500 miles is north of 75 MPG. It also states the Forza clocked 52 MPG - well darn - I could hit that on my previous '12 SilverWing.

The 2 Forza owners I know personally report MPGs in the mid/upper 60s. I don't know what the author(s) of the article were riding but they sure as hell weren't riding a B200 or a Forza in the real world.

The B200 is modestly highway capable for short jaunts - GPS verified top end on mine is 82 MPH. It takes a while to get there, though it is stable at the top end. Why anyone would want to push it to its top end is a mystery to me.

It is okay cruising at low to upper 60s but its not a super slab cruiser by any means. The B200 is an ideal around town (with ABS & dual disk brakes - unlike the popular PCX) or as a great back roader that allows you to get there via a short Interstate run to do so.

The Forza is a better choice for slab environments but not optimum. It is faster, has a higher top end and more torque to get out of the way at highway speeds but weighs enough more that you notice the difference moving it around the barn. (Actually if you're doing super slabs - get a SilverWing - way better choice IMO.)

I confess I get annoyed when I read an article supposedly written by someone who gets paid for it that is CRAP factually. Likes/dislikes are opinions - but facts are immutable.
  13. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents: that extra 79 cc's is a selling point. I'm a big dude at 250 lbs and I've been looking hard at the Forza for the extra h.p. I originally wanted a 150 cc Vespa, but the Forza at not too much more money offers so much more useability, I think I'm convinced. And the extra power, for those times I need to get on the freeway, would be helpful. Heck, seems like a scooter I could actually ride from Long Beach to San Diego!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with 40% more c.c.'s and more h.p. on the Forza, are these scoots even in the same class?
  14. AMAC1680

Oddometer:
    Yepper.
    I thought the displacement difference made for an odd test right out of the box.
    Odd choices.

Be Big,
    AMAC
  15. FizzyRascal

FizzyRascal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I concur. Different bikes really.
  16. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Burg and Forza may not be direct equivalents, but they were the 2 finalists from my on-line research.

Both fast-enough without being true Maxi-scoots, both with ABS, both likely very reliable, and prices close.

In the end, the light-weight, spacious cockpit, and much cheaper PCX won over both the larger machines, but I do see the comparison as valid.
  17. JoshM

JoshM 2011 HD FLHTK

Oddometer:
    Yes and no.

There's a a lot of gray area in scooters.
    ~50cc class
    ~150cc class
    500cc+ class
    and everything else.

There's really not enough 125, 200, 300, etc (in America) for them to have their own class.

These are both "mini maxis" with similar specs. Perhaps the B200 could have been compared to the PCX. But, then we'd be in the same "class" issue we're in now. Forza vs Kymco's 300s... pretty similar, but the Kymco's aren't a "big" name at this time. Forza vs BV350? Pfff... they don't want Honda to look that bad.
  18. AMAC1680

Oddometer:
    All geography my friend. I'm in scooter country and see at least 50 other riders a day. Most on 125/150 class scoots. In that group the leader has to be the Buddy they are everywhere in theses parts.Of course you see some china drop ships but not as many as I would expect.

I also see plenty of Kymco300s, DT and GTI, plus a chunk on SYM HD/RV200. After that it's the Burgmans. I have never seen a Forza "in the wild", never.
    Of course we have choices here. Real stores that only sell and STOCK scoots. To give an idea the local Kymco dealer sold more that 25 300cc Kymcos last year.

That's where japan wins in this minor US market. Most folks have no choice but go to a cycle store for scooters and that will always suck.

Back on topic I'll stand with my original thoughts. Bad choice to compare.

Be Big,
    AMAC
  19. JoshM

JoshM 2011 HD FLHTK

Oddometer:
    Oh, I agree. I'm just speaking in general.

If the internet didn't exist, and I went to Nashville (closest big city), I'd think the only scooters produced were Buddys(ies?), Chinese junk, and old Vespas... only because those are the types of dealers in Nashville.

You have to travel out to the other parts to find Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.

I really, really wish a true Kymco dealer was local. We have 2, but they're both 99% motorcycles and 1% scooters of 10 different brands. I would love to have a "super" store that carries only scoots.
  20. Pilgrim21784

Pilgrim21784 Pilgrim21784

Oddometer:

Hey Fizzy - correct me if I'm wrong - but haven't you owned both rides? I know you were kind enough to answer some questions on your B200 for me awhile back and I seem to remember you had a Forza as well.

I expect you might be one of the few inmates with real miles experience on both of them if my aging memory is correct.