Found a new 790R sitting on a showroom floor

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by DirtyDaveMO, Oct 18, 2019.

1. DirtyDaveMO

DirtyDaveMO Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was down in Florida for work and stopped by a small ktm dealer and he had a 790r for sale. I couldn't believe it. I asked the price and it was msrp plus shipping and setup. I bought it and I am riding it 1200 miles home to KC Missouri. Getting the 600 mile service on it in the morning. Put the 600 miles on it in less than 24 hours. I love the bike. I had to buy a helmet to ride home after i canceled my flight. 20191018_073840.jpg
  2. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good for you. Enjoy.
  3. macaw1us

macaw1us Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good Deal
    Have a safe trip home and let us know your thoughts after the seat time.
  4. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your style :rayof
    BigBikeMike and Jack90210 like this.
  5. Sfcootz

Sfcootz fap:hoon Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap

Way to do it.
  6. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    I just popped into the dealer to have a look at the Africa twin and like you they had the last 790R in the window...deposit down and i am picking it up in 2wks.
    Enjoy your new bike mate
    20191015_142832.jpg 20191015_142847.jpg
    Pipeman, Sfcootz, braaap! and 5 others like this.
  7. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great story! You will love the bike. Got mine last spring and have really enjoyed it. Fingers crossed no issues so far.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Jesus, this thread is like a serotonin free base! :)

It shares that same awesome excitement that early adopters felt this winter/spring/summer when we were slamming down deposits on our own 790's!

Best move I ever made by a HUGGGGE margin. This bike is great on trips, and man, you get one in the woods, and what a hoot. The best of us can make theirs seem like a 350, while the rest of us can probably shrink ours down to a 500.

To anyone out there still pondering .. take the leap!!
  9. joelee

joelee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool post. Been researching this bike for a while. Rented the S for 3 days and had fun, and I assume the R will be great off road. Put a deposit down and pondering if I should. But after reading all these great posts can’t wait to get mine!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    That’s commitment. :thumb
  11. DirtyDaveMO

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I had a chance early this year to put 25 miles on the S model but I felt like it was too short for me. I am glad I waited for the R.
    I had my 600 mile service done on it this morning. I was just south of Birmingham Alabama last night and I was at 601 miles in less than 24 hours. I spent the night in Pelham Alabama and had a KTM shop there do the service. The shop is named "Max Motorsports". They were very nice and had a great shop. They had a good stock of KTM and Husqvarna with plenty of parts for them. They even had a skid plate from Enduro Engineering for my 790. I passed on the plate but I bought a rain suit to ride in the rain for about 100 miles with 59°. I stayed comfortable.
    oic, Fabricator, Sfcootz and 3 others like this.
  12. yumdumpster

yumdumpster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Put a deposit down on one yesterday. Was considering keeping my xr 650 r as an adventure rig but after a 4 day trip out to the Nevada desert and back decided I needed something a bit more capable on road that can also tackle off road. Its been 2 days since I got back and my hands are still numb from the 8 hours of riding at highway speeds on that thing.

My local dealer said I am the first one to put a deposit down for the 2020 model and he said he is hoping to have them end of November beginning of December. Planning on a trip to SoCal once I get it! So Stoked!
    CaseyB, scfrank and TrailTrauma like this.
  13. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Find, enjoy!
  14. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m curious if you got any discount off MSRP? There is a dealer in Florida advertising a brand new 2019 regular adventure model at $10,999 (Which as we all know represents $1500 off ) but so far they refuse to send me an out the door price in writing.
  15. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a dealer in NC pull the same thing on a dirtbike last year. I told them I wasn't going to make a 7 hour long round trip without knowing how large of a check I would be writing. They finally got back to me and yep... their add on fees were huge so I took a pass.

Those types of outfits want you to have a vested interest (your time and travel expenses) before they give you a real figure.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  16. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s what I expected. And their failure to quote me a price in writing cost them a deal anyways. I don’t support business who can’t be upfront with true costs. I’d rather spend a few hundred more to support my local dealer who has a great customer attitude and service, and ongoing discounts on service accessories for customers who purchase from them. Was just curious.
  17. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the luggage... newest offering from Mosko?
    DirtyDaveMO likes this.
  18. DirtyDaveMO

Oddometer:
    Funny motokeith.
    That luggage was not waterproof but was free.
    I have some new Wolfman I might use on it. I need the racks but haven't decided what to get yet. Looking for ideas for a tank bag. I'm thinking of the kind that connect to the gas cap.
    Bought some oxford heated grips tonight. I want to hide the controller some how.

The shop where I bought it has a standard 790. They also had a collection of 1090's and 1290's he said he would sell at cost. I paid msrp plus freight and setup. About 15K out the door.