Found! - Missing Friend IN Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by oscar95, Feb 6, 2015.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Looking at the FB posts, I wonder just how much he needs help, and how much of the post is hysteria from Canada.

If he's checking into a hospital, what does that mean? Is he at the ER for dehydration, is he injured, or does he need to be admitted for something worse...

$.02 says there's more to the story...

Travel Insurance! This is why I carry it.

I do hope he's ok and that checking into a hospital is more for authenticating his excuse for being disappeared than for real.
  2. bananaman

Oddometer:
    True Story:

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I went for a motorcycle ride.

Back home in Wisconsin I had been casually dating a young woman. Casually, as in about 6 or 8 dates in about 6 weeks.

It took me a couple of weeks to get to San Cristobal de las Casas. I had just started my ride report, and I updated it by saying where I was.

Now this girl back in Wisconsin- she was fluent in Spanish and had traveled extensively in Chiapas.

So there I was, sleeping, in San Cristobal de las Casas. Not quite... alone.

The hotel was small. The kind of place where if the front desk phone rang, you could hear it from your room. The phone rang. We could hear a confused conversation. Me? I had a horrible premonition.

We could hear the desk clerk trying to explain something. Then he was knocking at our door.

Did I mention that I wasn't alone? Do you wear clothes to bed? It took me a minute to get decent and get to the front desk phone. Then I had to make shit up.

Read "Love in the Time of Cholera." There's a great line, something like, "Why could you not be a man, and lie?" I was a man. I had been conducting myself as a man all night. I conducted myself as a man that morning. "Sorry babe. I was sleeping. I was exhausted. How did you find me? Cuz that's great! I miss you too!"

After that, I was much more... discrete... when I updated my ride report.
  3. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Don't know the man but from looking at the pix on FB he's clearly emaciated from some kind of health issue. Lost 40lbs in two weeks, they said.
    Needs some lab work done and an IV to re-hydrate, IMO. Likely not thinking clearly in that condition.
  4. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can guess that he might be suffering from something we've all had: El Revenge de Montezuma.

Dehydration will be fixed by lots of water and Imodium (The magical farmacia words: Imodio, por favor).
  5. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    No, Dan, he needs lab work done to rule out parasites, dengue, etc. Re-hydrating alone is not enough after losing 40 lbs
    in two weeks and Immodium can cause extreme complications by preventing the body from flushing out infection.

We must take care with such health issues as they can become life-threatening very quickly.
  6. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dr. S has spoken...
  7. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Sure, but do you need to post a world wide emergency for a bad case of the shits?
  8. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Keith's family had no way of knowing why he had failed to contact them for an unusually long period. I think they acted reasonably given the information they had at the time.
  9. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    More like Patient S.

From time to time a medical professional will ask me about my training, assuming I've had some. None, I say, just experience.
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    REI sells various medical kits. Carry a wilderness one for 4-6 people. Know how to use it. Take a first responder course, or even a Basic EMT class. Get CPR certified. Talk to your travel doctor about contagious diseases. Get vaccinated for everything. Get booster shots. Get a prescription for cypro. Zithro. Doxycyclene. Oxycodone. Use DEET liberally. Wash your clothing and your mosquito net and your sleeping bag in permethryn. Only drink bottled or treated or filtered water. Don't eat salads. Don't use ice. Only eat Hot food. Take 200mg cypro at the first sign of stomach distress. Carry hydration salts or powdered Gatorade.

In Ensenada in November I had two tacos from a street vendor. Barely room temperature. I knew my chances of getting sick were very high, but the tacos were amazing. The next morning... it was bad. 200mg cypro and half a liter of water. Later, some crackers and more water. Mid afternoon, another 200 mg cypro. Symptoms gone.

The longer you wait, the worse it gets and the longer it takes to get better.

Mexico pharmacies sell antibiotics without requiring a prescription. You can get brand name or generic.

Companies like Travelguard and Medjetassist will help you find a local doctor or hospital. Not just any doctor or hospital, but ones that meet or exceed very high standards. If no good medical facilities are available locally, they will evacuate you to the closest, best ones, and/or get you (or your corpse) home.
  11. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    I don't do face book, but Mrs. south has been on (F.B.On the road in Mexico) IM'ing with a good friend of Keith's in canada and getting very cryptic messages, "he is 200 miles North of PV... asking about Hospitals in Mazatlan" so the wife sent info to the friend and our Phone #'s not hearing from him I went to the 3 hospitals I know of, and 4 hotels that ADV riders frequent looking for this guy on Tuesday, no luck... now FB is saying he's in a big hurry to get home and spent last night 110Kilometers north of Maz without ever stoping here...supposedly heading to Navajoa this morning...

This is all we have been able to figure out.... will post more when more is known....
  12. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    And it gets curiouser and curiouser.

I'm guessing it's the Hershey squirts.:eek1
  13. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I thought of reaching out to you on this one but lacked the solid info that could provide direction on your end.

Last FB post I read had Keith in a hospital (MZT?) getting an IV and meds
    then back on the road able to hold down solid food.

Bit of a strange story but hopefully a good ending. We'll see.
  14. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    If you can think of anything I can do on this end, please feel free to send it my way....
  15. Vanishing Point

Vanishing Point Lengthy Member

Oddometer:
    Yep. Just like live TV or Radio has a 7 second delay to save yourself from things you might say I think the astute person doing a ride report would do well to post a day behind where they actually are to prevent being caught with dew on the lily as it were.
  16. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Amigo. I think this event has likely run its course.
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting comment

Tags to public posting of electronic bread crumb trails from SPOT and inReach devices. Whether or not it would dissuade one from public linking of such information might make an interesting discussion.

Especially if I were serving some of my amazing Carnitas and two of my home made salsas.
  18. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    Sounds like she may have had a premonition, too. :lol3
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Isn't this guy a member here. I can't wait for the ride report. Working title, "From the grid to the shitter...."

Seriously, hope the guy is ok.
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    He hasn't posted anything here since 07.2011.

Maybe he'll show up and tell his story. Could make
    for a good one.