found some plastic bits in my oil

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by sky44, Jun 17, 2019.

1. elmontanero

elmontanero Practicing...

Oddometer:
    Good to know I'm not the only one that's like that. :lol3
    sky44 likes this.
  2. Runaway Train

Runaway Train The Left-Right Tourer

Oddometer:
    I always love to see Airhead neuroses unfold. Wiring the pick up bolts that's a new one for me in 20 years of airhead ownership.
    I'm going to lose sleep now. What if mine fall out??
    ozmoses likes this.
  3. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    O ring bits from the bean can O ring?
    bmwrench likes this.
  4. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just Loctite the pickup bolts, remembering that the threads have to be truly clean for Loctite to work. I don't use a gasket at the pickup surface; I use Loctite 518.
    sky44 likes this.
  5. sky44

sky44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok so i've set aside all airhead neurosis. Also whoever first said dipstick gasket gets a gold star. it fits in the groove where there used to be a dipstick o ring perfectly.
    left the oil pan on, not jumping down that rabbit hole today.
    so yeah, popped in the new filter (measured can depth, did the math, ok some neurosis) 2.5 quarts of vr1, and went to the gas station.

also traced my last leak down to the oil pressure sender itself, not the crush washer around it.
  6. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Job done I’d say, nice
    sky44 likes this.
  7. sky44

sky44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He's not wrong, but I feel like in any other community that would be considered a crazy thing to do.

the bolts have been in place for 25 years and 56000 miles. something tells me they were torqued appropriately and are not backing out.
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I'd just use blue thread locker.

If you are not set up for or have ever done safety wiring it would be pretty involved. It is the most guaranteed way to be sure that things don't come apart but thread locker will do the job well enough I could sleep at night.
    sky44 likes this.
  9. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    there was a mention here of the bolts coming out on a race bike and the rider loosing the motor. after investigating locktight i will never again use it in critical high temp applications.

safety wiring is dead simple and the kits inexpensive. if you have never done it may seem esoteric.
  10. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the ersatz Snobum schtick which gives me a chuckle.
  11. Runaway Train

Runaway Train The Left-Right Tourer

Oddometer:
    Its our neuroses that bond us.
    I hosted a tech day a number of years ago and the various snobum warnings was by and large the conversation fodder.
    I believe that'll be snobums greatest contribution, his neon ramblings fueled our pre dispositions.
    K, enuff said I have to go check the grease on my splines, yes I'll block the crank and remove the negative on the battery before I do.
    JimX and mrclubike like this.
  12. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did BMW ever safety wire pick up bolts? NO. The correct torque and temp rated loctite are used for a reason. But I have no problem with people thinking they know better. Any pick ups that ever came loose were installed incorrectly ie not torqued and either none or incorrect loctite used. Some seem to want to re-invent the wheel here!
  13. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of Snowbum’s warnings are given because he knew that Joe Bloggs who was given a socket set for Xmas now thinks because he’s read a few internet articles is a GP mechanic.
    Reading books and internet articles, getting advise on forums should be used as a supplement to good mechanical experience or training. People are not born good at wrenching, they are taught, learn and gain practical experience.
    Many of the so called mechanics of today should be called replacers as they lack basic mechanical diagnostic experience. imho.
    WRC51, bmwrench, sky44 and 2 others like this.
  14. sky44

sky44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Snowbum has some good info. these bikes by and large were assembled correctly, especially those still on the road.

I try to keep the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mantra" on low boil right next to the torque wrench, 4 kinds of grease and 6 bottles of oil that add up to a car payment.
  15. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:

"Many of the so called mechanics of today should be called replacers as they lack basic mechanical diagnostic experience."

It is like the custom bike builders that are "thinking outside the box" when they don't even understand what is inside the box.
    bpeckm, bmwrench and Steve W. like this.
  16. Plaka

Oddometer:
    if youo have to blocfk the crank to grease the splines something is sorely missing in your education.

Snowbums site used to be a disaster of HTML. But I noticed no one ripped him off. I wrote a plain text page and posted a link and another inmate ripped it off in short order.
  17. Plaka

Oddometer:
    my bolts ain't like that and they do get removed, most often to change pickups.
  18. sky44

sky44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    do you run a pickup with larger holes in it for winter temperatures?
  19. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  20. Plaka

Oddometer:
    that would be the screen and it is retained with a wire bail.
    sky44 likes this.