Four Corners of Canada Ride

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Stromrider 1583, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Stromrider 1583

Stromrider 1583 Republican Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What would be considered the Four Corners of Canada for a ride?

Victoria or Vancouver, British Columbia; South West
    Inuvik, Northwest Territories; North West
    Clarkes Harbour, Nova Scotia; South East

St Johns Newfoundland is farther East, but only accessable by boat.

Anyone know how far North East you can ride on existing roads?
  2. RedRyder

RedRyder Jose Adventurista

Oddometer:
    Maybe "Happy Valley-Goose Bay" in Labrador. It's a one way trip unless you plan on catching the ferry out of there tho.
  3. Stromrider 1583

Oddometer:
    Okay, we add ferries ...

Victoria <Ferry> Tsawwassen - Calgary - Thunder Bay - Edmunston -Halifax - Sydney <Ferry> Argentia - St Johns - Lewisporte <Ferry> Goose Bay - Inuvik - Prince Rupert <Ferry> Port Hardy - Victoria

11,300 miles - 18,200 km in 21 Days?
  4. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great ride. I'd once hoped to do a "all provinces, all territories" ride, but the creation of Nunavut makes it kinda hard--although there may be some winter routes available. :1drink
  5. Stromrider 1583

Oddometer:
    You're right, at this point I don't think there are any all weather routes to Nunavut. The idea of trying it in the winter seems pretty foolish and the expense of flying bikes in to where there are roads would be high.

If they ever finish this:

Road to Nunavut

the "All Province All Territories" becomes a new goal.

For now the N-S-E-W limits is a big enough challenge! The Ferry service to Goose Bay has a short season and has to be booked in advance, as does the Sydney-Argentia Ferry. I'm thinking that the Ferry rides on both coasts would add charm to the ride and allow the riders to catch up on rest if you tried to do it at a IBA pace.

8)
  6. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the license plates up there....
  7. Kaumajet

Kaumajet H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer:
    The ferry from North Sydney to Argentia can be an 18 hour affair, depending on the time of year. The one from N. Sydney to port aux Basques is only 4 - 6 hours and sets you up for the west coast of Newfoundland, which is not to be missed.

Cape Spear is actually the easternmost point in North America, and is only a short run from St. Johns.

Happy Valley - Goose Bay, or more precisely, North West River, which is about 45 km from there, will be the furthest north east point that is reachable by vehicle.

Ever thought of James Bay? The road to Jimmy's is a popular destination, and the only way in the east to touch the Arctic Ocean by road. I plan to do that next summer to complete my coast to coast to coast tour on this GS.

What's your rush? You'll be doing yourself a grave disservice to go all the way to Newfoundland and blow through it like a storm. If your goal is mileage, just run back and forth the Prairies where you won't miss much...:): Remember the story of the two bulls, one old and one young. They are standing on a hill and spot a herd of nice looking cows below. The young one says "I think I'm going to run down there and do me one of those cows." To which the old one replies, "Why don't you walk down and do them all?":evil
  8. VespaFitz

VespaFitz No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. Stromrider 1583

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the local knowledge! My other self is a sailor, so I chose the longer ferry ride subconsciuosly. :)

As it stands now, for 2004, I'm planning to take Wench on a scouting ride eastbound, two weeks from Vancouver to Halifax and PEI. Putting her on a plane and doing a Trans-Canada IBA ride Halifax-Vancouver on the way back. I'll probably scout the Inuvik, Alaska border ride here in BC also.

If I still haven't come to my senses, I'll shoot for the corners ride in 2005 at a pace that will let me take Wench along for two weeks then finish the ride on my own. Probably starting in Victoria going north and leaving her in Edmonton to fly home, then doing the Northeast run solo.

PLanning it at a rally pace is more a mental excersize than a real goal, unless there is some interest in a semi-oragnized event.

:smoke
  10. Kaumajet

Kaumajet H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer:
    Sounds like some nice rides. If you pass through the nation's capital, be sure to let me know.

Hey Fitz...(edited with string bikini to sty within site guidelines....)

:):
  11. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    That has to be at the absolute limits of the regs. More please!
  12. CroMag

CroMag Gelande Sauté It

Oddometer:
    Careful, y'all! When I was at Fitz' place last weekend, he showed me some pics that'll fry your hard drive and burn your monitor. And these are real women holding real signs!

Just wish they'd hold me.:evil
  13. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    weeks from Vancouver to Halifax and PEI. Putting her on a plane and doing a Trans-Canada IBA ride Halifax-Vancouver on the way back.

Why don't you come do the IBA ride with us?

http://www.bsu.edu/web/00amleduc/mtf/TC/TC04.htm

I am the west coast ride co-ordinator

P5
  14. Stromrider 1583

Oddometer:
    I wish I could. Wench teaches school, so we are looking at July and August for the ride. Even if I could meet the requirement to join your ride in June, I'm not sure that I want to do 4 in one summer! That would make it too much like work!

I did the equvilent of a BB1500 back in '73 before I had any idea poeple actuallt document such things, and did a SS1000 in 2002 but did not submit the documentation for personal reasons (I didn't do it safely). Trying to snag a SS2000 or BBG before June 1 then doing 4 trans Canada's is more that I want on my plate for next summer.

I'd like to meet the riders and hear war stories of the ride as background for my adventure.

:smoke