Four Days Down Baja Ways

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sandsman, May 21, 2019.

1. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Evening folks. IDK if you would call this an epic ride, but it is for me. I had open heart surgery in Oct 2018, so this is what I have been work towards for quite some time. My wife is the oldest of 7 sisters, and we got to come to sunny southern California for the wedding last weekend (May 18th). So I didn't want to waste an opportunity to ride Baja for a few days. Baja California has been a bucket list item for many years.
    So starting Monday morning (May 20th), we departed El Centro, and crossed the border at Mexicali without any issues. We rode down MX 5 to San Felipe and had lunch there. As we left from there and continued south, we were heading for Alfonsina's resort at Gonzaga Bay ( I found it on GoogleMaps). The destruction of the road down to the was widespread south of San Felipe.
    route day 1.PNG
    I have some pics from my wife's cel phone, and I'll post later. It was a challenging ride. Spent the night at Alfonsina's resort Gonzaga Bay.
    MX 5 road.jpg
    The road is pretty much totally destroyed at this point.

Mx 5 road 2.jpg
    The temp road isn't very good either.

But we eventually made it to Gonzaga Bay and Alfonsina's Resort.

Gonzaga bay.jpg

Dinner was great, steaks on a salt slab. Mouth watering good.

Attached Files:

2. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good on you for putting your health issue behind and moving forward. Baja is a wonderful place in a great many ways. I’ll be at the Baja 1000 in November and already counting days. I’m watching you from Canada. Do enjoy.
  3. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Since this is being posted real time, this is Tuesday evening ( May 21st). Let me tell you this, the farther you go down MX 5, the worse it gets. Today we left Gonzaga bay about 10:30 am. The "good " road we were on didn't last for long. I made a mistake of not topping off this morning and it almost came back to bite me, more on this later.
    The road just steadily got worse until it was only a rock road, and a poor one to boot. I won't bore you with to much, goal for the day was Coco's Corner, the on to El Rosario BC. route day 2.PNG

The road was pretty bad in spots. Here are just a few pics.

coco road 1.JPG

You can see how dry and dusty it is.

coco road 2.JPG

Wife snapped this one as I was turning back around.

coco road 3.JPG

Lots of road equipment just sitting. This road probly won't be finished before I die.

coco road 4.JPG

And it just goes on till we arrive at Coco's Corner, what a nice man. He seemed truly interested in our little trip. He is 84 years old.

coco 1.JPG

coco 2.JPG

And he wanted my wife on his knee and she did sit there.

coco 3.JPG

We spent about an hour there, we signed his book.

Then it took 7 miles before we hit pavement after CC'ss.

We encountered really high winds, it killed my gas mileage. I filled at San Filipe on Monday afternoon. I was on low fuel light for 60 miles or more. Barely made it to the Pemex in El Rosario. On fumes. (265 miles on this tank, normally can get over 300 at highway speeds)

We had supper at Mama Espinosa's, so much Baja history in this restaurant. Now we are crashing at Baja Cactus, we are worn flat out. Wife is already snoring.

mama 1.JPG

Mama 2.JPG
  4. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Day 3 will be forthcoming.
  5. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. Orangebiker

Orangebiker Doin' it Froggystyle

Oddometer:
    A Baja tip...never pass gas! The petrol kind...:rofl:imaposer
    Soft roads will lower your range quite a bit. With bad roads, reroutes are possible with gas availability being questionable. Start each day with a full tank and know where the next gas should be.
    Have a blast down there. It is a special place.
    also...no chance Coco is 84 years old. I've seen hombres 40 yrs old down there who look 40 years older than him and they don't spend half their lives at Coco's Corner!
  7. sandsman

Oddometer:
    This is so true, I made this mistake and didn't run out. Last thing that you want on your mind is to be short on fuel. I went in to fuel conserving mode for over 100 miles. Keeping the revs down helped a lot.
  8. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Ok, we are back in the US and in good shape. After we got to El Rosario, got rested up, breakfast again at Mama Espinoza's (if you get down there, you must eat here), our ride on to Ensenada was pretty much an easy ride. No more bad roads. Just a cool mid 60's day for temps and light mist to rain in spots. We were chilled as we didn't plan for this cooler weather. We met a contact (thru the Christian Motorcyclists Association), he and his wife are some very humble people, working in ministry in this area of Mexico. They took us touring some, around the older colonial part of town, close to the waterfront. baja jack side v.jpg
    So our last day started with our friends taking us to breakfast and some more good conversation. As we left the town of Ensenada, our route would take us up thru wine country on MX 3. We had planned a lunch stop, but our huge breakfast kinda stopped that. We will have to save that for another ride. The route on to Tecate was uneventful, but quite chilly. Once in town, the signage for the border crossing was vague and so we just followed a van with Cali plates on it and found the border crossing. A couple of people told us there was a motorcycle crossing for bikes only, but we never found it. Finally back in the US, we took Ca 94 east and that road is a treat, nice smooth asphalt and plenty of curves. It was fun riding this road. We found a convenience store for a warm up and coffee. My wife has all the pics on her phone, so I will have some random ones for later. I have a few pics from the bad road section that are below. Great riding, some very challenging. 2 up on a bike is even more challenging though. My wife was a trooper thru it all. This next picture is the Spot track, I would not go to Baja without some type of emergency locator device.
    baja spot route.jpg
    baja bad road washout.jpg baja bridge colapse.jpg baja road no more.jpg
    mb300 likes this.
  9. zhousir19820815

zhousir19820815 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good trips
  10. sandsman

Oddometer:
    He told us he was 84, I figure he is the best source on his age.And I agree on never pass gas......it was almost a hard lesson for me.
    Orangebiker likes this.
  11. Sparta683

Sparta683 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report!
  12. matthewg123

matthewg123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the words and pics. I am planning a few weeks in Baja on my DR440 this coming fall. your story is much appreciated reading!
  13. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip! Nice to see you bounce back from your health issues.

Baja is on my bucket list. However, it looks like at this point it's going to be on a street bike.
  14. sandsman

Oddometer:
    You will want to stick to MX-1 mainly. But you can take MX-3 from Tecate to Ensenada that way you can miss the Tijuana madness. MX-3 goes thru the wine country, it's known as Ruta de vino.
    danh600 likes this.