Four guys in search of beer take lots of pictures- and CRASH!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by livetosail, Sep 1, 2018.

1. livetosail

livetosail Wayward Traveler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

You know the story all too well. Four guys get together once a year for two weeks of riding, telling lies about fishing stories and girls, all in search of the perfect plate of nachos and some decent craft beer. We are based out of Colorado, and have been doing this long enough that we decided to head further west than we have ever ventured before on bikes. So we trailered bikes to Corvallis, Oregon over two days, which was an uneventful trip not worth talking about.
    [​IMG]
    Once everyone was situated in Corvallis, we started our trip by heading west on state road 34, connecting Corvallis with Waldport. It was the perfect road to start things off- just the right mix of technical twists and turns, plus scenery that was right out of a movie. Rivers, mountains, mossy trees, cedar-covered cabins... I could not have asked for a better example of western Oregon beauty.

It being Labor Day weekend, we expected to find the roads packed with RVs, but surprisingly we had clear sailing the entire way to the coast. At this point I would ordinarily insert several nice looking pictures of our ride, but I was apparently a little out of practice and unable to actually get the camera to work while riding. So I guess you will just have to trust me that it was a beautiful first day of riding.

We stopped for the day in the little coastal town of Yachats (pronounced 'ya-hats').
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    True to our purpose, we stopped here to check out the Yachats Brewery, which did not disappoint.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Caught a nice sunset on the beach, too![​IMG][​IMG]
    I love Oregon!
    [​IMG]
    Once the beer had been tasted, we walked a short distance to Luna Sea Fish House. This place literally looks like a small fish store with a few tables shoved into a corner. But there was something definitely happening at this place when we walked in, so we decided to give it a try... and man are we glad we did.

Almost immediately after sitting down we overheard a customer asking someone behind the counter about the fish under glass in the display case. The man answered, "this here was caught around 4am today, and these were a bit later, maybe around 5:30am." The man behind the counter then proceeded to explain that he was the owner of the store, and personally fished these waters for the past 30 years- and even pointed out pictures of his various fishing vessles on the wall.

In short- this was a very legitimate seafood restaurant. We all ordered our various meals, and were tremendously impressed by all of it. I personally ordered a three piece fish and chips meal with Halibut, Wild King Salmon, and Albacore Tuna.
    [​IMG]
    The Halibut and Salmon were delicious, but the flavor of the tuna was out of this world. Truly, it was the best fresh fish I have ever tasted (and I grew up in New England).[​IMG]
    We had a great first day. Tomorrow will be our first serious day of riding. Stay tuned for more to come!
    [​IMG]
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    livetosail likes this.
  3. livetosail

Oddometer:
    Meet the inmates for our trip:

[​IMG]
    Name: Jeff
    Bike: Yamaha V-Strom
    [​IMG]
    Favorite Beer: Some sort of cider

[​IMG]
    Name: Cap
    Bike: BMW R1200 RT
    [​IMG]
    Favorite Beer: Cezanne... also known as Saison.

[​IMG]
    Name: Bill
    Bike: Yamaha FJR
    [​IMG]
    Favorite Beer: Anything with lots of hops

[​IMG]
    Name: Eric
    Bike: Suzuki B-King (I don't own it)
    [​IMG]
    Favorite Beer: Anything dark (stout, porter)
    AZQKR, B10Dave and rauchman like this.
  4. livetosail

Oddometer:
    We started the day in Yachats, and promptly headed south. It was a beautiful town, and we wished we could stay there longer.

[​IMG]

Our goal was to hit as many of the little squiggly roads between Yachats and our evening destination of Brookings, OR (just a few miles from the California Border on the coast).

[​IMG]

Things started out pretty well, and we found several excellent roads. Unfortunately, however, we soon found ourselves lost in the vast forestry system of western Oregon.
    [​IMG]
    Signs like this were occasionally found, though they bore no resemblance to the names of roads on the maps, and many of them were buried in the underbrush.

[​IMG]
    "Which way to the beer?"

[​IMG]
    While the rest of the guys worried about where to go next, I munched on these yummy black berries!

[​IMG]
    The trees are hairy in the PNW!

[​IMG]
    We made our way through the interior of western Oregon. The only problem was that these roads tended to suddenly go from "yeah!" to "crap" very quickly.
    [​IMG]
    Perfunctory dirt road pic to please the ADV moderators.

[​IMG]
    On the whole, however, we had some really good riding along some absolutely beautiful landscapes.

[​IMG]
    After we had had our fill of the twisties, we made our way to the 101 on the coast, and headed to our destination for the night in Brookings, OR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some beautiful riding in Western Oregon.

[​IMG]

The beautiful left coast!

[​IMG]
    We eventually made our way into town, and headed to the local brewery, Chetco. The beer was decent, but the real show stopper was the dinner we ate at the Vista Pub. We all had excellent food and service there, and would very gladly return!

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately, our plans to explore further south are being affected by the wildfires in northern California.
    [​IMG]
    Stay tuned for more tomorrow!
  5. cap

cap Vice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Ahem. I enjoy viewing paintings by Cezanne, but prefer drinking Saison. And last night, we all learned about grisette. WTF, its all beer!
    livetosail likes this.
  6. cap

cap Vice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Rant mode on: we stopped in Boise with the bikes on the trailer, and somebody stole the antenna from my BMW. Then yesterday morning, we found that somebody had used a key to gouge the paint on my tailcase. Seriously? What is going on in this country? Oh well, I'll cover it with a brewery sticker.
  7. cap

cap Vice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Best part of the ride today was the western-most 2 or 3 miles of Hwy 199 from the coast towards Grants Pass. We slogged along with holiday traffic to Bend, where tonight we will start at Crux.

My new-to-me 2017 R1200RTW has been an eye opener. After giving up on BMW when my 1150GS stripped the transmission spline, I tuned out on their design evolution. I spent the last many years on a succession of Suzukis. But this latest RT is fantastic. The ergos are close to perfect out of the box... only a new seat and some peg lowering required for me. Handling, brakes, power are all good. The buzzing and surging of the early oilhead is gone. I have tentatively forgiven BMW for their former nonsense.

And, who knew? Cruise control on a moto turns out to be awesome, ...

Ok, time for beer.
    B10Dave and livetosail like this.
  8. livetosail

Oddometer:
    Started the day off in Brookings this morning, just over the border with California. The wildfires are close by, which was evident when we went to get on our bikes this morning. They were covered with ash that had fallen over night.
    [​IMG]

Before leaving town, we stopped at a local Mexican restaurant for some breakfast burritos. This place came highly recommended, so we decided to check it out. We were a bit surprised to discover that it was a former gas station converted into a short-order kitchen (and still mostly gas station). The burritos were good, so I'll leave it at that.
    [​IMG]
    Fresh made burritos in a converted gas station. Breakfast of champions.

We headed down south on the 101 until we crossed over into California, then we headed back northeast on 199 back towards Oregon. The roads were great. Scenery was top notch, and the early morning breeze was chilly and refreshing. This part of the country is truly one of the hidden gems, and we were so fortunate to have the opportunity to ride through here today.
    [​IMG]
    Oregon... you are amazing.

[​IMG]
    Some good leans today.

[​IMG]
    Time warp!

We wound our way northeast until we reached Bend- a favorite stopping point for us.
    [​IMG]

We visited Crux Fermentation Project, which is an excellent brewery with truly unique style and flavor.
    [​IMG]

Great beer, great atmosphere, great weather... this place has it all.
    [​IMG]

Good night, Oregon. Until tomorrow...
    [​IMG]
  9. livetosail

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    A little fan art to spice things up.
  10. livetosail

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    shuckinator likes this.
  11. livetosail

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Only the best accommodations for MOTOMAN. this shower rivals the best RV-sized showers anywhere.

[​IMG]
    I call this the “double duty” setup, for those times when you need to let it out both ends. Never sat on a toilet with your knees underneath a sink before? You gotta try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JustAnotherDude2 likes this.
  12. livetosail

Oddometer:
    Hazards of riding motorcycles are abundant, but I would never guess that carpal tunnel syndrome was one of them.

Apparently riding 7+ hours leaning on a bent wrist is not good for one’s joints. When I woke up this morning I could barely move it. Gonna have to fix the ergos on this bike before going any further... and also fix myself.

[​IMG]

13. livetosail

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Mt Hood, Oregon

B10Dave likes this.
  14. livetosail

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We stopped by Hood River, Oregon to grab some late season fruit. It was AMAZING! Draper Girls is the place to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hung out here for a little while, enjoying the early afternoon weather and beautiful scenery. Mt. Hood is in the background, but the smoke was getting strong at the upper elevations late in the afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Plums... sooooo good!
    shuckinator, B10Dave and black 8 like this.
  15. livetosail

Oddometer:
    Riding was pretty good today as we headed north into Washington!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crossing the Columbia River Gorge

[​IMG]

popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  16. livetosail

Oddometer:
    We stopped for the night in the beautiful town of Camas, Washington. Even though it is just 25 minutes outside of Portland, this little town feels like something straight out of a 1950's movie. It is quaint, clean, and full of charm. Our hotel is right off of main street.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The town of Camas, Washington.

[​IMG]

We visited both breweries in this town, then came to the A Beer at a Time taphouse for dinner. The breweries were not the best, but we more than made up for it with yummy food and good laughs after a long day of beautiful riding.

[​IMG]
    Kids riding bikes together, and families hanging out at dairy queen. This town is a postcard for the Pacific Northwest. It was a good day on the bikes, and a great evening in a beautiful town. We explored much of Oregon, and are now looking forward to what Washington has to offer. More to come!
    popscycle, B10Dave and SunshineTom like this.
  17. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    In, love the RR!
    One "nit" - VStrom is a Suzuki...
    9Realms and livetosail like this.
  18. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW!! Great report and pixs. What were you looking at? the paper thing with all the squiggly lines on it !!!!
    I hate to carry my lid around, I use a 22" dog choker chain collar and a small Master lock ((brass key type)
  19. livetosail

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Our approach to planning involves mostly winging it. Each day starts with a convening of the “routing committee” where we look at squiggly black and red lines on a map and try to make them take us to someplace that looks decent.

Our rules are simple: ride for most of the day, find a hotel/motel nearby a brewery where we can walk (we never get back on bikes once beer is involved... sorry for the PSA, but it just seems intelligent).

Today we are looking for tall mountains and winding roads. Luckily, we’re in Washington state, which has ample amounts of both!

B10Dave likes this.
  20. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice report and camera work!

What's your camera set-up? if you don't mind me asking...

or did you do post editing with a program?