1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Fox Podium rear shock test rider needed for Beta Factory

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Vintage pro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for a test rider for a prototype Fox Podium shock I'm going to build in the next month. I will do the initial testing and will want a test rider from the age of 18 to 35 years of age and at rider level of Advanced to Expert level, that ride at the top of there class. The shock will be built for Beta Factory model bikes from 2017, 18,19 & 2020 factory t2 models. Rider weight between 140 to 190 Lbs. The std. EVO uses a different shock and linkage.

Attached Files:

DyrWolf likes this.
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm the perfect candidate for providing high-level feedback. I'm a mechanical engineer with a design and build career supplemented by decades of trials competition and off road riding (Beta 390). I win most of the local events. Older and crusty, so there's that.
    Huzband likes this.
  3. heffergm

heffergm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can mention it if you don't sign up 'bene (although why you wouldn't is beyond me ;) ). We have one expert on a factory Beta. Our champ who rides Beta rides a modded standard model.
  4. heffergm

heffergm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know who you're responding to, but let me re-write my response so as to lessen doubt regarding my reading comprehension:

I can mention it [to our local Beta riders] if you don't sign up 'bene (although why you wouldn't is beyond me ;) [my assumption being Bene has a Beta kicking around. Since he replied, I made that assumption). We have one expert on a factory Beta. [I'd ask] Our champ who rides Beta [, but unfortunately he] rides a modded standard model.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  5. motobene

Oddometer:
    The Beta I have is not a trials bike :-0
    Norman Foley likes this.
  6. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Will be starting cutting apart and modifying shock after taking data. 102_0341.JPG
    MATTY, Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it!
  8. motobene

Oddometer:
    Nice looking shock. Sounds like you're going to cut it off and remote mount it like you do with your long-travel steel-body Ohlins shocks. Is the shock shaft oversize? Maybe it just looks like it.
  9. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    The shaft is 5/8" or 15.7mm, body I.D. is 37mm. The valve shims have a 12.5 mm I.D. where the Ohlins have a 12mm. I have most of the machine work done and may be able to test by the end of the week if I don't race Sat. at Glen Helen Raceway.
    motobene likes this.
  10. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Getting close to putting together, body shorten 4mm, 4AN fittings installed to shock body hat & remote reservoir in the correct position fully cured. Using a Ohlins bump-cushion and simular valve stack. 102_0345.JPG
    wheelieman14, Navin, Brewtus and 2 others like this.
  11. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Shock ready to test. 102_0347.JPG
    carknocker, Buschog, Zuendapp and 5 others like this.
  12. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    I installed on my son's 2018 Factory with the Factory link to do initial testing to see the differences over the Ohlins I build. May be stiffer in some of the areas I will need to adjust out internally, later I'll install with the STD. EVO link because that link has more leverage at the first 1/3 of the movement.

Attached Files:

GTC, jonnyc21, carknocker and 2 others like this.
  13. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    The shock has been fully tested and I am extremely satisfied with the outcome. Shock was internally changed 4 times to get my approval on performance, little things like reservoir pressure-volume from 210 psi to 180 psi to help keep rear planted against hard slick surfaces for better traction. This was set-up for the STD. EVO link as I don't like progression in the Factory link. I'm still looking for a rider to test in Advanced to Expert level. 102_0359.JPG
    Brewtus likes this.
  14. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Your chain is too loose.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, his bike is in gear.
    Huzband and jonnyc21 like this.
  16. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    That's right, perched on a 4ft log it needed to be in gear to keep it in place. The question 102_0360.JPG ' what happens when a shock shaft diameter goes from 14mm to 16mm? ( efect on shock )
  17. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Nice work! Turning an old TLR200 into a lightweight trailbike, adapting CRF swingarm, running a Fox evol air shock off a snowmobile, in a single-sided twin shock configuration. Haven't even begun to think about timing, but this is motivating.
  18. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Never liked air shocks because of the heating of the air inside the chambers. Send a picture of the shock and the eye to eye length.
  19. irishgb

irishgb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to be considered for the test , I would be able to compare it to my Ohlins long travel "R'' Racing shock that I have been using on my Beta Factory 300 for almost 2 years , with fantastic results !!!! I will provide my impression and compare it to the Ohlins If this is of interest to you please PM me for more details Cheers irishgb
    Zuendapp likes this.
  20. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you accepted the challenge, will be sending to you in the next two weeks. I'm sure you have some perspective to post here.