Fox Podium rear shock test rider needed for Beta Factory

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Vintage pro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using the "R" Racing Ohlins modified shocks on my 2014 GasGas, 2017 Sherco and now on my Beta 4T. The traction is noticeable better than the GasGas Reiger, Sherco Ohlins and The Factory Beta shock.
    My disclaimer: I ride in the Northeast with slippery tree roots, moss covered rocks and lots of rocky stream beds and lets not forget steep gullies. I feel i am a intermediate rider. Along with the improved performance, my confidence level is much higher to ride tricky obstacles.

I can't wait for the ride report on the Fox shock.

DSC00710.JPG
    Norman Foley, DyrWolf and Brewtus like this.
  2. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The answer to the question is the force to compress the shaft goes up, so if you have a shock with a 14mm shaft with a 210 PSI internally in the reservoir, the force to compress the shaft against a scale will be around 65 to 70 Lb's which is used in the calculating spring total, very important in figuring spring rate. On this shock, I used 210 psi for testing and found the shaft force to be 85 PSI with a 16mm (5/8") shaft so I changed PSI to 175 to get the 65 to 70 PSI. On Ohlins Twin shocks they are 36mm body with 12mm shafts, we typically use 210 psi inside and the shaft force is 35 to 40 psi. I have the final testing done after revising the mid-stroke rebound damping stronger and the slow to mid compression damping revised softer to let the shock stay planted longer against surfaces. I'm very pleased with the outcome, the only drawback with the Fox shock the don't have the shim selection to draw from as I ended -up modifying 6 Ohlins shims to get what I wanted.
    Zundapp the shock on your Beta 4t looks great.
  3. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Finished testing shock and now sending to Irishgb to see what he thinks compared to the Ohlins he has.
    Brewtus and jonnyc21 like this.
  4. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never could get a consistent reading with the push-on-scale method. Too much friction. Pressure-area calculations to get force negate friction but also fail in considering friction. So whatever works to get to the baseline reservoir pressure.

PMK you wrote about PDS bikes. A friend of mine had a robust modification business going lowering PDS bikes and making the suspension more compliant. When you say, "at that time anyway negative springs were popular" do you mean running negative shock spring preload? I did that on a KTM 500 EXC I borrowed for several days. High seat, high footpegs... a stinkbug bike :-0
  5. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To keep the peace and not present differing information, I deleted all my posts except this one from this topic. Sorry, just likely best.
  6. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's differing, and there's....

My reply zapped too.
  7. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Isishgb has the shock and ridden with it yesterday, I'll let the blisters on his hands speak for themself. He said it's going to take a day or two looking through a dictionary to describe the differences.
    Brewtus likes this.
  8. irishgb

irishgb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    testing blisters.jpg blisters.jpg
  9. irishgb

irishgb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So what do the Blisters have to do with testing a new rear Shock ??? I will need a little time to compose a full explanation , BUT I had intended to do a short tide, to test the Fox Podium shock, vs the Long travel remote reservoir Ohlins that I have been using for the last few years . Being somewhat out of shape and a little uncoordinated due to choosing to pause riding for a little while hoping to avoid any unnecessary trips to an urgent care !! or anywhere the virus could get me !! I anticipated a short ride and not really expecting to experience much ,if any difference from the awesome Ohlins !!!! . Well , after warming up the bike for a few minutes it became obvious that the Fox shock felt much softer , so I assumed that I should keep that in mind before I tried any decent drop off ledges , I am fortunate to have built up quite a few section bits on my property allowing me to dial my bike in to my liking for most ( except for big uphill and long rocky creeks ) So I should be able to test my" TOO soft for me theory " quite quickly , and then focus on what other differences I could feel as I rode each little challenge . as I progressively tried a few drop-offs it became apparent that I was not bottoming the Fox shock , strange , much softer but not bottoming !!!!! so now I am getting curious can I try the bigger stuff , to my surprise the bigger the drop-off the softer the landing !!!! I truly believe it is the softest landing I have experienced in all my years riding on my property ( I have for many years rode a Montesa with modified Showa suspension ) which I was convinced was the gold standard ( for me ) and when I switched to a Beta a few years ago I became aware that the standard beta rear shock did not work for me !! that led to my search for a rear shock that could give me the feeling of the Showa . The Long Travel Ohlins from R Racing was the best choice , fully adjustable & rebuildable . So I was given an option to try it and if I liked it I could buy it if I did not like it I could return it !! I never returned it !!!!!! Back to the Blisters !! when I realized that this Fox shock was so confidence inspiring , I had to keep trying more and more obstacles and the feeling was that the bike felt more "planted " and stable , the bottom line is that I kept riding much longer that I should ( I could feel my hands warming up ) but I just kept trying more and more until I ran out of gas and had to stop to refuel That's when upon removing my gloves and seeing the blood I realized I had best park it !!!! as soon as my hands feel up to it I intend on continuing to test the Fox Podium shock and I will try to explain what I feel it is doing better on some of the things we all encounter at every trials event . To say I was impressed is an understatement and I am so glad I took the opportunity to try the FOX shock .
  10. irishgb

irishgb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fox Podium vs the Ohlins continued ,,,,,, over the last few weeks I have continued to ride my Factory Beta 300 with the Fox Podium shock and this week end I was able to ride at an area with lots of variety to add to the great place I am lucky enough to have at home . The riding area has most anything we would find at most trials , and I have competed and helped promote many trials events at this venue !!
    After several hours of riding , the bottom line is that this Fox shock has promoted more confidence in my riding I was able to try lots of the tricky sections and found myself very comfortable , and I tried several things ( with success) that until this ride I was not willing to attempt.
    So what it different from this shock and the Ohlins ? from a feeling point of view , it feels softer and more "planted" . and it absorbs the drop offs without any feeling of bottoming !!!!! that translates into a feeling of stability !!
    Stability allows you to hold your line and not be concerned with what your back wheel is doing , and allows more time to pick your path and not react to the bikes movements . I found that it seems to get more traction especially crossing adverse camber tree roots !!! I also was really pleased to find that I was much more comfortable with rocky uphill climbs it seems you just bend tour knees point it and let it just drive straight up anything in front of you !!! we have a long creek much like you would see in the Scottish 6 Days ) and going up or down it is a confidence booster that makes you smile !!!
    Perhaps the biggest and most recognizable feature is its ability to "stick" on hard hits !! having a steep rock or sheer dirt embankment requiring a splatter type approach and knowing after the hard hit it stays planted and climbs like you had a ramp leading to the steep part is an awesome feeling and it works on logs just as well !!!
    I plan on continuing to really enjoy this testing experience and try to identify if there is situation where this Fox shock is not performing better than my Ohlins !! so far I cant find any !!!!!!
    I want to recognize that many of the differences are very subtle and others more pronounced but the overall feeling of a more stable confidence building ride for me is what makes it something I don't want to loose !!!!!!
    More as I figure out how to describe what I FEEL !!!
  11. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Irish Bob, I made changes to your shock yesterday and installed & tested on a Factory with a Evo link. With my 62nm spring, stiffer Ohlins bump cushion, and a softer highspeed rebound valve stack I'd have to say it's as good or better than the Fox you're testing now.
    3333cliff likes this.
  12. irishgb

irishgb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have discovered another benefit of this Fox long travel "soft "shock It has improved my static balance !! I now find I can stop and balance so much easier ( I don't seem to have to give very much input to keep stable ) still thinking about this added benefit but very happy to discover it !!!!!! not often you can have so much fun discovering little things that just make riding so much more enjoyable and the confidence level keeps improving each time I ride !! to me having that feeling of confidence is worth so much . I know from experience how practice and proper technique can allow you to gain confidence , but it is very rare when you can feel it just by a component change . Add proper technique , practice , and an awesome rear suspension and the fun level is amazing !!!!!