FREE Camping along Blue Ridge Pkwy ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pfloydgad, Mar 23, 2012.

1. pfloydgad

pfloydgad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I'm a cheap ass, so, I'm looking for some free campgrounds or sites the masses on here might know about along the BRP. My first night I will be staying around Mountain Grove and Warm Springs off 39 just out of WVA and into Va.
    There are 3 State Forests but all charge upwards of $20 for a tent. I will Commando Camp if necessary, but would prefer a more secure site. I just don't want to have to prove I'm armed unless it is necessary, if you know what I mean. :eek1
    So any suggestions would be wonderful, saving a buck or two for gas is a good thing.
    Thanks for any suggestions, and please, ride safe out there.
    Greg
  2. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Since your coming in on Rt. 39, I wanted to jump in with a route hint. 39 east from Marlinton in the early morning is a beautful ride. Going through Lexington, not so much. From 39 take 252 north toward Raphine/Steeles Tavern. Then east on 606/Raphine Rd. to Rt. 56 east up to the BRP. The last couple of miles is Deals Gap tight with lot's of climbing verticle.

Green fly somebody can tell you about some free camping on the other side of the BRP off 56. The second dirt road down as I recall. But that's to close to your other stop so it's NG.

While there's 469 miles of woods and fields the Ranger's are not known for their humor and there's no legal free camping that I know of. Good luck.
  3. pfloydgad

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up B.
    I kinda figured that the Rangers might be a little touchy about Commando camping, so if i have to do the pay camping I will.
    I'm just hoping the weather cooporates with me. :deal
    Ride safe all.
    Greg
  4. Lifes2short

Lifes2short Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm curiously following :ear this thread as I'd love to do the same. Although I'm hoping to be hanging a hammock. Personally I don't mind $20 for a site as long as there's trees, beats staying at a crappy motel for $60 or more. Of course I like free too :D
  5. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    OK L84, How about a crappy motel for $31? The Country View Inn in Fancy Gap, 230 Pottery Dr. It's by I-77 about a mile from town. Around the 200mm. The two motels by the Parkway are crappy and overpriced. The Lake View Diner is cheap and good.

When I get to the southern end I stay at the Applecover Inn in Maggie Valley $35. I'm a geezer so I would rather pay the extra $15 and sleep in a bed, have a hot shower and flush toilets. When I was young and poor I slept on rocks, not any more.

Those are the two best, cheap places to stay that I have found.
  6. Lifes2short

Lifes2short Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rocks sound uncomfortable. I can tell you my Warbonnet Blackbird is ooodles more comfortable than just about any hotel I've stayed at. I did stay in a hotel in Manhattan once that had the most comfortable mattress ever but it doesn't exactly fit in with the prices we're talking about here. Last year alone I stayed in hotels/motels well over 30 nights and I would gladly trade them in for my hammock on comfort alone.

Bathrooms and showers are definitely a plus, I'll give you that but a lot of campgrounds that charge $20-30 usually include such niceties. As Fleetwood Mac sang, you can go your own way. Thanks for listing the motels though, never know when they'll come in handy.

Mark
  7. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure when you are going, but the fed campgrounds are $16 a night. No showers, but they have flush toilets. The good thing about them is that they are right on the parkway.
  8. pfloydgad

Oddometer:
    Well this is truely "weather" pending.
    My plans are to leave April 12th, 8 or 9am. Knock down Ohio on 35 into WVA and hit some of my fav. roads from rides gone by.
    I plan on looking for a campsite somewhere off of 39 in Va for that Evening.
    Fri. is a quick ride N and to the start of the BRP. Start S and get down to at least 58. Camp for the night in that region, and start Sat. morning toward Hampton along 58 E.
    So 2 nights in the tent before I get a warm bed at my sons place in Hampton.
    As stated in the opening sentence, this is weather pending, I don't mind rain once I'm deed into a ride, but to start out with no chance of clearing, it is just too early in the seson for that one. I can wait out till June or July if it goes south for these dates.
    Ride safe all,
    Greg