Free camping along the trans canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CruisnGrrl, May 24, 2011.

1. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Two wheels, woot!

Oddometer:
    This summer I'm planning on visiting relatives in saskatchewan, planning on riding out along the transcanada and wondering if there's any free camping around wawa and kenora (my expected overnights)...

coming back I may go through the usa but haven't decided yet.
  2. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine drives a truck dragging a camper out from Alberta through to the London area. parks in the rest area's for free. not sure if tenting would be allowed there or whether the other users would bother you or not.
    Check the tentspace thread and see if you can find someone willing to let you park in their backyards. Hopefully someone will chime in.
  3. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my advice for any (camping) travellers ...
    pull off the hwy and try side gravel or small dirt roads that seem to lead no where and camp in a grass meadow. dead end roads are best but not always available.
    being from the prairies we call 'drive ways' that lead from a road to a 'field' or pasture(or meadow) an 'approach'....find a grassy approach off the gravel or dirt road and and just pitch your tent. chances are you would be camping later in the day when no farmers or locals would be still milling about so likely you would be totally uninterupted.
    you will bother no one for just one night...and worst case you may have to wake up a bit earlier than planned to let a farmer get to his field work.
    also you can try to set up camp near old rundown grain bins and homesteads....no one would ever be bothered as long as you dont have to open any gates to get in.
    watch for creeks and rivers along the hwy then turn off the hwy near them and with luck you may end up along a stream for the night.

this is basically my strategy for free lance camping everywhere i go. it is MUCH quieter than being right along a hwy and i would say much safer from weird ppl or drunks seeing a lone tenter and bike along the main road. you will also feel much more back to nature when you see and hear birds and animals you didnt know where around. it is just so down right quaint! most of all, leave no clues that you were there except the flattened spot where your tent was. remove all trash.

have a grand trip!
  4. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Kenora.. We have a tent trailer set up on the lawn. Give me a few days notice and you're welcome to use if on the way through. We're on a lake. Fire pit in front of trailer. Beer in fridge. Or white wine.
    Lyle
  5. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:

There are signs in the Ontario ones saying "no camping". If you were showing up late and just setting up a tent and leaving first thing in the morning, you may get away with it. But i wouldn't set up a campsite at one of these places.

I have slept in them in my car over night and never had a problem. There are some that are a little more off the road and not as visible by people driving by.
  6. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ontario would rather see you drive/ride fatigued to the point of being a hazard to yourself and others before they would allow you to pull over and camp. It's Okay for truckers to pull over wherever they want......just not motorists.
    Lots of spots to "stealth" camp along the north shore of Lake Superior.
  7. RickyBilly

RickyBilly Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    I used to live outside Wawa in White River. You can camp anywhere. Its mostly crown land. Lots of lakes...and bugs if you go in June.
  8. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you turn right immediately after the White River Bridge as you head toward Marathon,
    you'll find a gravel road that you could camp along. I did it a few years back.
  9. CruisnGrrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks, plan is ride til near dusk, set up camp and get going first thing in the morning. while i'm not afraid of night riding around here i've heard the moose and deer up north tend to be lethal.

Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that, will be passing through about 3rd week of july

good to know, hopefully i dodge the bugs in july. they make me scream.
  10. NaeKid

NaeKid Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer:
    Bring a GPS along as well.

When I pulled a tent-trailer across Canada I used my GPS to find all kinds of backroads that I was able to drive down (in my Jeep) and find cool little spots to hide-away. I also found some great little campgrounds that even had free internet (if you paid the low camping fees, many times under $15) - cheap showers ( :clap ) and a lake to toss a fishin' rod into.

I also hid out behind a couple of churches in their parking lot - never hassled.

Good luck!
  11. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    The big problem with the rest areas is that often vehicles pull in and out at all hours of the night, making a restful sleep somewhat a challenge. Best bet is to find somewhere off the main road.

Have a safe trip.

DW
  12. CruisnGrrl

Oddometer:
    thanks, hadn't really thought much about internet other than my phone, had not planned on bringing a computer. i do have a garmin 765 gps wired into the bike, it will be my music as well. back up will be my cell phone

rest is what i am after, i don't want to doze off while riding and i plan on decent km each day. (getting to sudbury is going to be the mind numbing part).

what is the average sunset time in north ontario in july? i'm mostly concerned about moose, guy i know hit one that summer
  13. NaeKid

NaeKid Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer:
    Your GPS should have that information built into it, updated daily.
  14. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    9:30-10:00 on the north side of Superior.
  15. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    sun should set a little before 10pm by mid july, but it ussually takes a long time to get dark.
    Driving west sucks at sunset though.
  16. RickyBilly

RickyBilly Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    Moose are definately worth watching out for, as well a log trucks. If you see Bullwinkle ...SLOW DOWN. They can run and jump like a deer. You will encounter lots of bugs. Deep ,Woods Off, No perfume and light coloured clothing help. Always top up the fuel too as not to many stations are open 24/7. Have Fun:freaky
  17. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I was out dirt riding yesterday. The blackflies are pretty bad. Go to Canadian Tire and get one of those cheap head nets in the camping section.

As far as camping, just ride a few hundred meters up any dirt road, and pitch your tent. It's pretty much all Crown Land. If you camp near Lake Superior the bugs aren't as bad. (I've never seen a mosquito or blackfly in my yard, I live near the big lake)
  18. CruisnGrrl

Oddometer:
    While it flips to night mode on it's own I don't seem to be able to find the data on it telling me when it's going to do it... Could be buried, but i just wanted a general idea for planning.

Thanks, plan is to be setting up camp before night fall.
  19. CruisnGrrl

Oddometer:
    The idea of a big moose as agile as a deer is kind of amusing, I always figured them to be more like a freight train, something you don't wanna hit when it's standing still and something you don't want to hit you.

Good reminder, I have one of those somewhere.

What about campfires? limited to designated camp sites?
  20. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    Detour to BC where you can camp free in a different spot for 365 days of the year. :wave

Ps, we did this as teens, stopped early before dusk, asked farmers for there permission on the rural route through the prairies and Ontario, and it was always ok. Plus there was the odd meal thrown in, thou no farmers daughters.