Free camping along the trans canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CruisnGrrl, May 24, 2011.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer:
    Sorry - maybe not every GPS has that feature built-in. I made sure that the one I use has it so that I know when I can start hunting each day and when I need to quit for the night (legally).

The biggest thing is that the time might be the same on both sides of the province, but, the sun will "set" about 1/2hr earlier on the east-side than the west side - the GPS compensates for that difference based on your current location (ya, I am a bit geeky to know that kinda stuff).
  2. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    You can build a campfire anywhere you stop, as long as you don't leave it unattended.

Once again, it's a diifferent world than southern Ontario. Population density is very low, and from SSM northeast, you can pretty much camp anywhere the bike stops.
  3. zokalr13

zokalr13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] DAMN HIPPIES!!!!
  4. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Two wheels, woot!

Oddometer:
    my gps is designed primarily for on road use, could be why it flips to night mode but won't say when

will have to make another trip up when i'm not burning miles
  5. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Be bear smart when you camp. I saw plenty of bear on my recent trip to the EOAR rally at Keene.

Not sure how bad the ticks will be this year, just another little item to be mindful of.

Have a good trip.
  6. CruisnGrrl

Oddometer:
    if i'm planning on eating in restaurants along the way and not eating/having food at the campsite will i still have to worry about bears?
  7. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Everything should be fine, just don't camp on a game trail. I carry bear spray when I am camping, never had to use it yet. (It will work on two legged creatures if need be...LOL)

(PS: take some bounce fabric sheets....place one outside of the tent door, it keeps the bugs away)
  8. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    Your tent actually comes off your bike Greg :D I thought you just used a tent bag to disguise bottles of tequila and Jack :freaky

CruisnGrrl The thing with bears is you never know what they are going to do. Chances are they won't come around but all it takes is one asshole with an attitude. If you want a place to set up around Wawa let me know and you can set up camp at my shop.
  9. isplat2

isplat2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bears?

You have more to fear with the Radar Gun totin' Bears than the 4 legged kind...as Finndian said...you have to watch out for the one a--hole with an attitude.
    This applies to both kinds.
    However...when camping, always park the bike facing in the direction you want go...just in case you decide to leave camp...in a hurry.
  10. CruisnGrrl

Oddometer:
    One week to ride off... dates changed, I'm leaving on the 18th instead of the 20th...

Looked at taking the route through manitoulin island, according to google it's 2km shorter but 2 hours longer... i think i'll take the sudbury route out and the manitoulin island on the way back... thought about going through the usa but i understand north dakota is flooded.