Free online route building programs

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Kingsized, Jun 21, 2014.

1. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I made a 600 mile run up in to the Adirondacks with Kurviger and I must say it worked very well to find curving roads!!! So well in fact after @200 miles I had to bail out to a slab fast route because I did not want to set up camp in the dark. I exported the gpx and used locus pro guidance for the whole trip...I am used to locus and only used kurviger on the desktop to create the route.

While I was going to find a small cheap pc for routing on the road I kept coming back to locus and it's ability to do most if not all what basecamp does with excellent free offline openandromaps with elevate theme. I would like to know from anyone who has used both basecamp and locus how they compare?

I think a $160 10" tablet with locus pro and a stylus to help in drawing difficult tracks using locus offline is the way to go. The ability to draw on the screen can help.

btw...anyone still punting around on montanas or any garmin hardware...here is just another killer feature for android...I ran locus pro following a kurviger gpx track and waze in split screen with a $140 motoe4 phone using Nougat.
    Skookumtim likes this.
  2. kurviger

kurviger Bloke from Kurviger.de

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I am happy to hear that. I hope you will enjoy many great rides with the Kurviger app!
  3. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a pretty successful trip this weekend using Kurviger. I plotted a specific route from St Louis to a MSTA rally in Marble Falls, AR. Then a lunch route to Catalpa. Then another back from lunch. All on my PC. I'm still struggling a bit with the export. I've ended up being able to put the file to my Google drive, then launch the App on my Pixel2 by loading the kurviger file. This did not work when I was in Catalpa, as there was no cell, or WiFi, signal. But, I was able to make due.
    The route home I let the app decided. And it did a lot of roads I would normally have done. And one that ended up being a gravel road. Oops. I was on a streetbike, so that wasn't optimal. Otherwise, not a bad product. I only had one section in MO where I had to take a right, where it wanted a left, so I could go find reliable gas. It took quite a while to re-calculate. Normally it isn't too bad. Not Garmin quick, but not bad. This might have been an anomaly.
  4. kurviger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed feedback. You can load .kurviger files without internet connection, so I recommend to choose these files when exporting to the app. Another option is the qr code in the share dialog, you would have to store the route as .kurviger on your device then. More details can be found in our documentation here and here.

Regarding the unpaved section, we have an option to avoid unpaved roads, did you use that? It could be that the surface is not properly tagged for this road though, see our documentation here, the good news is that you could improve the data yourself, whenever you find an issue, I am happy to provide some guidance to get started :).

Cheers,
    Robin
    Baroquenride and stk0308 like this.
  5. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am using the .kurvinger file format. Just to make sure all my shaping points stay in the route I want.

It's more a problem getting a route I've built on the website, on my home PC, to download into my phone. To a location in my phone that I can find later to import into the App. I haven't spent much time on the procedure. So it may just be a learning process still to come. Sending the .kurviger file to my Google Drive worked fine...when there is signal.
    Oh yes. I've made sure to avoid unpaved roads. It, and avoid tolls are my default position. Everything else can be fair game.
    Unfortunately I don't recall what road it was. So, no update, for now.
    kurviger and jojojones like this.
  6. jojojones

Oddometer:
    I just email the .gpx to myself or if no service have a phone with a microsd card.
    kurviger likes this.
  7. kurviger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Yes you could download the .kurviger file in advance to your phone and store it either on the sd card on the internal storage. Many users actually build a little route library with different folders etc. A different option would be to send it via email as mentioned by @jojojones.
    stk0308 likes this.
  8. jojojones

Oddometer:
    My purpose was to have a system that I can use during any travel to create new routes. All this can be done on a phone and it's not actually that bad but I do like to carry a small laptop on long trips. I had a win10 laptop with a decent trackpad and now use a mac with a wonderful trackpad with all the multi finger gestures. A mouse would not work for me in the tent.

When using BC and attempting to hand draw tracks I found it clunky. This is where LP excels.

I believe any map you can use online in locus can be brought offline by downloading the tiles.

Here are 2 amazing online programs for searching around for small trails.
    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw/
    https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.8,-98.4&z=5&b=mbt

good links
    http://www.neotreks.com/maps/
    https://vector.city/
    https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
    http://download.mapsforge.org/
    https://www.gps-data-team.com/gps-poi.php
    https://www.4umaps.com/mountain-bike-hiking-bicycle-outdoor-topographic-map.aspx
    sturg and kurviger like this.
  9. jojojones

Oddometer:
    this is a major step forward in my opinion...you can get anything from caltopo as a layer in locus and now hand draw if necessary anything and everything you can find. Still not having caltopo maps within locus (which many have requested) but having a workaround to moving them as needed in to locus. http://www.wolinlabs.com/blog/caltopo.kmz.html
  10. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    Apologies if it's been covered before but I'm catching up as I'm learning (and liking) Kurviger..

Is there any hardware GPS that will take a route built in Kurviger and translate its tracks/shaping points to a turn-by-turn route? I haven't found any good answer for this last time I looked (over 2 yrs ago when I was using Furkot and exporting tracks to my 590) but Kurviger's interface to make really nice curvy road routes with a couple clicks is getting very enticing - now I just need a hardware GPS I can put on the bike (not a phone) to view when riding. I hate strapping my phone to the bike, I like it in my pocket.

Thoughts?
  11. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I have done this with ITNConverter and RouteConverter. Both free for desk/laptop. ITNConv is a little slow and clunky, but you can export in almost ant format you like including .gpx and .kml. RC works very well and you can turn just a few points into a route or a track with hundreds of points. I have built tracks with ITNConv, not with RC as of yet. Just two of the many possibilities. Check them out.
    http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&itemid=3&lang=en
    https://www.routeconverter.com/home/en
  12. kurviger

Oddometer:
    You can export most common formats from Kurviger. If you export for example the GPX track or GPX route from Kurviger you can easily import this into your 590. I think only routes are converted to a turn-by-turn route though. It can help to also create additional points along the route to help your navi follow exact the same route as Kurviger did (this can be done automatically), however Garmin navis are a bit limited when it comes to the maximum number of points, so longer routes will be split into several routes, which can be a bit annoying :).

Hope this helps.
    brianpc likes this.
  13. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TomTom Go app will take a track file and turn it into turn by turn instructions. For the most part, it works well but where the TomTom maps differ from the OSM maps used by Kurviger, it will re-route the different bits using its own maps.
  14. jojojones

Oddometer:
    In locus you can turn on guidance/navigation for any track without any conversion. I have found it to be overbearing and there is 3 different levels I believe. I normally just follow the track visually and only set an audible warning when off track.
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Just get a phone, I have like 4-5 phones that have no sim and large SD cards that I use....none are my day to day phone, and since you can get second hand cell phones cheap as chips it doesn't matter if you kill one, you are only out $50. With Locus Pro, OsmAnd (which is having battery consumption issues currently) or Orux map, any GPX you can load will run, no cell service required.

One that I discovered recently was running Locus (navigating) and My Radar on loop side by side tethered to my cell, this let me watch nasty weather conditions real time and how it was going to affect my route.

Try that with a Garmin.

There are a variety of devices that you can use that will function just fine as a GPS hardware deveice.

Every Samsung Galaxy after the S5 is IP67 or better, and have native wireless support, I also have a IP68 certified wireless puck that I taped into my phone mount AND there is an inmate that makes the pucks to use with a X-grip RAM mount.
    Sony Z3s have external power and are IP67 or IP68, I have a 6" Experia Z Ultra that is the main display on my Ducati (touring bike) in a powered mount.
    The RAM GDS system is more than sufficient to run any moderately water proofed cellphone.
    Kyocera Duraforce series phones are a popular device that is nearly indestructable, AND has external power support.
    sturg and jojojones like this.
  16. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I searched and couldn't find anything. As a background, I'm new(ish) to using a GPS. I'm also, generally speaking, a barely functional idiot. Meaning I'm barely function in normal everday activities, and I'm 100% an idiot.

Here's my question/issue: I use a trail tech voyager, which does tracks and routes in GPX. Their website, rideleader.com is good(ish). You can draw routes, import and export routes, tracks, etc on it. its nice and very user friendly, so I do like it. Here's my problem(s). When using it, if I'm drawing a route, and it gets long, or has a bunch of points, the site tends to freeze up and I've lost a bunch of work at times because of it. But, that's not a huge deal, I've learned to save more often, etc. It also doesn't do a good job of loading really large files very well, but again, that's sorta the cherry on top stuff I'd like to eliminate. My real question, is this: Is there easy to use, free or not too expensive software that works offline? If I'm up in the mountains riding and touring some trails, and want to come back to my campsite at night and download tracks, make/adjust routes, edit waypoints etc, with all of the sites I've seen, you need an internet connection do do it. 99% of the time, I won't be anywhere I can get either wifi or use my cell for a mobile hotspot, because there just won't be service available.

Again, I apologize if this has been kicked around already, but if someone could just point me to some info, I'd appreciate the help.
  17. jojojones

Oddometer:
    Locus map pro can do all of that offline but its not a simple easy program.
    poondangle and climberevan like this.
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @poondangle

Not available yet... Furkot.com's work on an offline capability has been somewhat accelerated due to their shift to OSM maps but I don't have a time frame for offline edit capabilities. You can currently sync offline-maps for your Trips so you can view your Trips offline.
    poondangle likes this.
  19. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Is there pay to play software available? I'm never opposed to paying for goods and services that I'm benefiting from. I just don't want to pay for an application with 10x the features and/or capabilities that I would ever want or need.
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends upon what platform (operating system) you want to use, features you don't care about and those you must have but this is not the thread to ask in - would not be on topic.