Free online route building programs

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Kingsized, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    As mentioned on the previous page by red_rooster, I use Rally Navigator. It's not going to be for everyone, but it has some great features. It's very fast and easy to create routes whether on or off-road. Export GPX is easy. It also calculates fuel range when you drop-in the fuel stop icon... very valuable when spending a day or days in remote areas. As noted, $50/yr.

Clearly, Rally Nav is intended to output a 'Roadbook'. I love riding by Roadbook as you can include icons and notes. I wish there was a Roadbook reader app (iphone or android) that had an 'outside of competition' feature set. This could allow the Roadbook to advance automatically based on GPS position along the route... making it hands-free. The screen could even flash red when you get off track, etc. etc.
    Davethestick likes this.
  2. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    For whatever reason, Caltopo has started working again... I'd abandoned it bc it would hang with basically any track editing, but the last few times I've used it it's been great. It has returned to the top spot in my mapping world.
    jojojones likes this.
  3. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    caltopo
    gpsvisualizer
    kurviger
    locus maps pro
    waze/google maps
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been a looong time user of Rever. I know, not a 'free' program as the op stated but thought I'd throw my $0.02 in.
    Rever USED TO BE a pretty decent router for off-road. It would find many of the smaller trails in Satellite view and track them and was easy to switch between tracking a trail and just point to point over a trail. They "upgraded" it a little while back and turned it in to a real POS. I'd like to bitch slap the idiot who messed it up... and called it an upgrade. It hardly ever finds the off-road trail anymore. It has so many quirky flaws in it, you might as well get fed up with basecamp that's free, than get fed up with a program that costs $60/yr.
    I could go on for days with all the crap that is wrong with Rever... but until they pay me consulting fees, I'll let them bury themselves with they "new and improved" program.

Anyone need a slightly used soap box now?
    eakins and Davethestick like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback, I will pass that along!
  6. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Ditto!
    eakins likes this.
  7. jojojones

Oddometer:
    I believe rever is still the only way to get Butler maps on a data layer but it would be great if Butler Maps could licence also to Locus map Pro. They have a robust store within the app with many 3rd party products. I'd pay for Butler maps within locus but not for rever.
    eakins likes this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm going to pass along this whole page to Justin Bradshaw.

Court Butler and Justin Bradshaw started Butler Maps together, they are friends.

Years later we tried to integrate Butler rated roads into Garmin...no go.

Then the idea of an app came up to do this and Justin built up a new company Rever.
    Since then he has sought to increase the features of Rever.

He very so would love to here this feedback!
    Anyone else???
  9. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    If he is really interested in ironing out the flaws, have him drop me a line. I'll make a list. So far, every time I send in a response, it kinda falls on deaf ears. I started right after the new release came out, then got frustrated and quit.
  10. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Man, I wish Garmin would take Butler up on that. There are times I want to stomp my freaking Garmin.
  11. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Looking at the options.. Furkot would "almost" make it but no Satellite view anymore because of Google's mad dash for cash (API keys). Plotaroute.com comes the closest for off-road trail mapping.. to me anyway.
    leighwgold likes this.
  12. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    GPSies is listed a few times on this thread for gpx track building etc... here is a not so good update...

The Satellite imagery key in joining abandoned road sections to new unmapped logging roads etc..checking map tracks for large water crossings missing bridges etc etc... .. The GPSies site has shut down the imagery access {as of this week } to users unless a yearly "donation "is made ... {called financial supporters on the front page}

[​IMG]what next by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

If the program user digs deeper...The "donation" to use google map imagery is 25 eur a year {minimum} .
  13. jojojones

Oddometer:
    try https://caltopo.com/ it has everything and is still the only thing that can "snap" to USFS roads and you can even download tiles to use offline in locus maps pro.
    climberevan and Snake Oiler like this.
  14. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Thanks i'll have a look .. i was just following up on plotaroute .com ... in the user feedback section they explained making map type/ availability / use /changes clearly linked to the new google costs { paid membership is 18 eur/$22 usd /yr}
  15. jojojones

Oddometer:
    caltopo has all the google stuff and even "Daily" satellite...but on an android you can even download many sources of sat imagery that only runs along your track say 5 miles wide on each side and you can zoom up and over mountains to see what is on the other side...on your phone offline in the middle of nowhere. Locus Maps Pro
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  16. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Hope this is allowed...but here is a thread I started before seeing this one on 'Free Route Building'..any help is appreciated..thanks..Phil

"New to GPS's...old fart that is 'map and compass' oriented; now Garmin 680T user...recently used RideGPS to lay out dirt routes in Idaho and Montana...no problems this summer...exported from RGPS to my PC...copied that route file in "Downloads"...pasted into it into the Garmin Mass Storage "Garmin" "GPX" folder....then just 'followed the Magenta Line' on our routes...
    Now the problem...I went back to these routes recently and any over about four hundred miles are now truncated....only about 70% of the Magenta route is showing on the 680T...Yup, "Tracking Points" @ 10,000 maximum allowed by Garmin...tried creating new routes over 400 miles and all are now truncated at about 70% of the route created in RideGPS..

#1 How and where are the Tracking Points created?

#2 What exactly does the 10K tracking point limit mean?

#3 How can I restore, work around a route showing 10K and truncated?

#4 Are Tracking Points an accumulative total from all GPX routes in my Garmin?

Sorry for long post...but I have tried deleting all created routes from GPX file and Track Manager on the 680T...no joy...still can't get long routes to once again show on my 680T.

Thanks..Phil "
  17. jojojones

Oddometer:
    Not to be snarky but this is a great example why NOT to use Garmin hardware. I use locus maps pro on an Android and do not have these issues.

I suspect your gpx original files are still fine and the Garmin did the changes.

I'm pretty sure you can open them in Garmin Basecamp software and probably export them to limit to the amount of points that the Garmin hardware supports and this would allow you to have an entire GPX track not truncated.

1. In the original gpx creationrogeamor recorded by another gpx device.

2. The limit of total points within a single GPX file.

3. Do as I wrote above and re-export to a file that has a limitation of total points with the entire track or you can break up the track into pieces and just number them and load them as you go.

4. I'm not totally sure because I don't use Garmin hardware but I believe it is the total points within a single GPX which is being displayed.
  18. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Contacted Garmin...person was patient and helpful...

#1 Tracking Points are how often the satellite contacts my 680T to establish location. Currently set at 1 sec; but I have options to adjust that and reduce Tracking Points which in turn will reduce accuracy details on the route.

#2 The 10K maximum Tracking Points is per [in my case] GPX file.

My solution will be to break the longer routes into shorter connected routes to maximize the details displayed on my routes yet not cause a route display to truncate due to reach the 10K limit.

I still don't have a clue why the same route when displayed on 680T last July was not truncated but is now truncated. Mystery of the universe I guess. :brow

Phil
  19. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Been playing around with Caltopo as suggested... pretty powerful program for sure. I'm still getting caught trying to use hydro lines for my gpx files as the odd quad trail may follow the line for a way and that gets mistaken for something "usable" . Has anyone used the increased zoom level of the more expensive caltopo plans.?. If yes could u post up some image differences with a full zoom on a cheap or free caltopo plane vs zoomed in close with a more expensive up grade.... water bogs and the like are my biggest avoidance as i am building files for a loaded bike that can get dirty but not used as a submersible :eek7
  20. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Yes...10K Tracking Points is limit per GPX route file....and yes I can export the GPX route file that I had imported from RideGPS into Garmin Basecamp and then use "filter" app to change [lessen or lengthen] interval between Tracking Points and send that amended file back to my 680T to potentially stay within the 10K limit even on a long route. Problem is this...longer Tracking Point intervals will result in the route designating 'magenta line' "straight lining" curves and and not accurately following the route as established in the original GPX route file from RideGPS. Off road the routes have many and frequent direction changes; long TP intervals result in erroneous route designations.

Lastly a puzzle. It seems my 680T Tracking Interval is currently set at a default setting of "1 sec"....here is the puzzle: What speed does Garmin assume you are traveling to make a 1 sec interval useful? At high speeds in 10K secs you can cover a lot of ground, but at slow speeds [my off road average is usually 30mph or less] your route will not be very long before it is truncated at 10K limit.

Chopping up the entire route into contiguous stand-alone GPX file sections with a 1 sec or 100 foot TP intervals makes the most sense for me; even if it means more hassle. Honestly where we ride in the mountains, a 200 mile day is about all I want anyway so shorter routes are just fine!