Free online route building programs

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Kingsized, Jun 21, 2014.

1. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1 second is 1hz, typical internal gps sampling rate on a phone which seems fine with anybody using android/iphone apps. You can get a bluetooth gps reciever and get 20hz but not needed at all.

why struggle through these old tech limitations???...move on and upward...don't believe me...just read the reviews, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro&hl=en_US

the lmp feature set puts anything garmin to shame...here are just a few:
    voice prompts for "tracks" not just routes
    full route planning/editing gpx on the device
    heavy detailed maps of the world...most free...many offroad and offline
    full track recording with database integration
    NEW group realtime tracking
    ...it can even show you strava heat maps and caltopo tiles. There is nothing better on any platform.

I do not work for lmp. Good stuff here too: https://advrider.com/f/threads/locus.989332/

throw that garmin up on ebay and get an ipx8 waterproof android...
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  2. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    I guess the fact that I need a larger screen and do not want to use a phone is one reason for my use of the 680T...as for voice information? I ride with ear plugs and a helmet; a siren would not work let alone a voice...there are sound ques on the 680T but again no use for me...

I have an antiquated but great Blackberry Classic [Android] and that screen is way too small...a pad or anything larger than my 680T would soon perish on the off road routes I ride..my only use of the 680T is exploring way off road in the boonies...a very specific and narrow set of parameters...kinda like packing for these multi-week rides, you can pack too much and ruin the ride..."But, if you try, you just might find you get what you need"....

My humble opinion, but chasing the latest supposed tech advance is a never ending quest of dubious value; you can never get enough...I have and will operate using the KISS approach and RideGPS has been great on digging out and designating the routes for me..the 680T has more that sufficient features to allow my explorations off road...remember that I ALWAYS carry paper maps and truth all routes...trust with verification...before blindly following screen prompts..hell, I even stop to enjoy where I am riding! And that is anywhere that your imagination can take you and keep you un-plugged from all the electronic clutter...not 'old tech limitations', all tech has limitations.

I do appreciate you recommendations..seriously I do...but my path is uniquely mine and lastly often 'motion' is confused with 'progress' so moving on and upward may not be a good thing.

Take Care...Phil

Ps...Again 1 sec TPs may work at 60 mph [88ft] but at 15 mph [22ft] or slower you quickly will hit the max 10K and not have traveled very far on your route
    jojojones likes this.
  3. jojojones

Oddometer:
    Suit yourself but imho having to spend time and effort to manually split up a gpx might be "sufficient" but certainly not efficient. I guess your paper maps can work you around too.

I'm not familiar with RideGPS but I suggest you make a track on caltopo or gpsvisualizer and export that to your montana and see if you get the same limitations...it might be an issue with the route building program too.
  4. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    JoJo...thanks. The limiter is not RideGPS where I construct routes ['the route building program']. Garmin, at least in my 680T, imposes [has] the 10K Tracking Point limit..I assume all devices have system limitations and this one is easily worked around.
  5. jojojones

Oddometer:
    I might be wrong but I do not think there is any limitation on points with modern well designed phone gps apps. Pretty sure locus and osmand do not have any limits like you are encountering...the only limit is the phone's ram...My phone has 32 gigs and for example when displaying some databases of every campsite in the US....the 24k sites will show up and be fully functional but it does take a whopping 15 seconds to load them all.

If you get around to wanting more, lmp can also merge your broken up gpx files back in to 1 and get you going again.

To be clear...this thread is about route building programs. lmp is a full featured route building program better than basecamp and it runs on a phone/tablet and is also the gps navigational display and recording device. You could even still run RideGPS on your most wonderful new $249 waterproof android phone (when you get one) and then export the gpx to a modern guidance program within the same phone...no nonsense. Or you could do the same with half a dozen other online programs all within the phone. lmp will also allow full route planning offline in the middle of nowhere in your tent using brouter...for free.

I tried to spread the gospel but I will not push you anymore...good luck with it :)
  6. black knight

black knight Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Allen6276

Allen6276 n00b

Oddometer:
    your question give me a lot of answers no of the answer may be all answer is valuable
  8. samthorn

samthorn n00b

Oddometer:
    Try 2Gis
  9. moto_lover

moto_lover n00b

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested in different motorcycle related events while you are on your route, try the IdeasMotors application. It makes a route and shows all the motorcycle events and even some biker friendly places in and around your route. I just recently started to use it, and it is very good, if you want to attend some events as well.
  10. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner LOST

Oddometer:
    RideWithGPS is already listed here. But I've been using it for many years routing bicycle rides and have always found it the best one. I also learned that it was originally created to share motorcycle routes but it grew very popular with bicyclists. I've started using it to map a lot of my motorcycle rides am trialing the premium membership. I used it for 2 rides over the weekend that were 150 miles each. The app worked flawlessly, however, I'm still leaning towards getting a dedicated GPS device.
  11. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I just saw this and have looked at multiple crappy apps over the last couple of days and this by far, seems the best for my needs. I haven't fully tried it, but I designed a long forest route similar to the WABDR (super easy!) and now will see if I can download it onto my computer, then transfer to my phone and use it in another app. If I can make that work, it's going to be the best thing since sliced bread!
    kurviger likes this.
  12. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    When it comes to Kurviger I have a couple questions.

Is Kurviger strictly an on line route planner or are there off line maps as well ? Most of the time I am not in a cell service area.

It would be very nice if Kurviger was able to drag the route it created to a different road . It created a route for me and routed over a road I know is closed because of a washout. Or does it already do this and I just haven't found out how to do it yet ?
  13. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently, it is an online route planner. However, you can plan routes online (either on the desktop web interface or on your phone - eg in a hotel) and then use those routes offline. It won't however, recalculate once there is no signal.

It is simple to move the route anywhere you want as long as you are online. Probably the easiest way is to long press (on the phone) or click (on the desktop) where you want the route to go and then select "add via point". The route will then be recalculated to pass through that point.

Offline routing is high on users wishes ( see the forum) and I have little doubt that it will be available in due course - although I won't guess at a time frame. (As I understand it, the OSM offline routers Brouter and GraphHopper, do not or cannot use Kurviger's curvy algorithms).
    kurviger likes this.
  14. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. I will play around with it a bit but the fact that it does not work off line makes it a bit useless for me. Not much cell coverage in the middle of the Mojave desert. ;-) I don't do much route planning anyway but it would be cool to play around with.
    Thanks again for pointing out how to move the route around. I prolly would have found it on my own, in the next year or two. hahaha