1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Free turn-by-turn navigation android app (alternative to MyRide)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by undingen, May 2, 2020.

1. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi inmates,

I have created a small free Android App (also without advertisement) which displays turn-by-turn navigation directions on your KTM MyRide navigation compatible bike display. I did announce it in a reply in a 790 thread but now that I have fixed a few bugs and it should be more useful now so I thought it's probably time to get a few more eyes on it :).

It works by reading your Android notification bar and sending the info over to the KTMs display unit.
    Right now it only works with google maps but I may add support for more apps in the future.

The advantage is that you don't have to install or get used to a new navigation app. Just start the navigation with google maps, start my app and it should display the directions on your paired KTM.

Hope you folks find this useful and I'm looking forward to your feedback.
    I created it for my own usage but thought it's useful so I decided to release it to the public. Also I only tested it on my 790 Adventure R but it should work on any MyRide compatible bike. But keep in mind this is a 3rd party app created by me for fun by reverse engineering the Bluetooth communication. So there are likely bugs...

Link to the App

promo.png
    equ, Jorugburn, andyw and 16 others like this.
  2. oeggo

oeggo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just downloaded, will try to ride at noon to give it a try, will post after used and will let you know how it feels
    gilligandavis and undingen like this.
  3. soso2565

soso2565 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can tell you
    It work like a charm on my super adventure 1290 s 2020 with Google map
    Fast response too
    Wooww I'm impressed

Good work
    Barekat and undingen like this.
  4. soso2565

Oddometer:
    My display is not totally the same as the previous pictures

Is there a way to select what show on the display? JPEG_20200502_113402_798977510850310301.jpg
  5. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After submitting the thread I noticed I accidentally posted this thread into the "Hard core (1090/1190/1290)" forum - while I was thinking about asking for feedback on the 1290 I decided to post in the Parallel World but must have screwed up...

Thanks for posting an image of how it looks like on the 1290!
    It seems like it's not 100% correct :-(. E.g I don't see any ETA and indication of in how many meters you should turn :-(.
    Are they never getting display with my app?
    Could you please send me a screenshot of the green google maps notification on your android phone and I will try to figure out whats going wrong.

Also right now its unfortunately not customizable.
  6. soso2565

Oddometer:
    It's all good for the customized screen
    As for the info show up
    I'm going out this afternoon so I will take other pictures
    But so far it's very good

6mb for you app is much lighter and also much easier then the ktm app itself
    Again Good work
    gilligandavis likes this.
  7. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is really cool and yet another reason I’m pissed I switched from android to apple lol, nice work
    gilligandavis and The Island like this.
  8. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    very cool. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Any thought about porting waze on 'er so I can see warnings about cops or road debris?

Anyway thanks!
  9. IndyTiger800

IndyTiger800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question I can not get the "connection State " page to turn on the received nav... ect.
    Under settings I can turn on Left-hand traffic.
    I have tried this with the bike connected, not connected, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled.
    Thanks
    Phil
  10. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry the user interface is confusing :-(
    The 4 radio boxes under "CONNECTION STATE" should show if everything is working correctly - they are not clickable.
    The first one "Received navigation notification" is the most important one without it the other ones will also not show up (and for it to show up there is no need to be connected to the motorcycle or have Bluetooth on etc).
    It shows if my app has found the green google maps notification.

Screenshot_1587934353.png

Do you see this notification in your notification bar after starting a navigation in google maps?
    if not, you have to check in your android settings if you have disabled the navigation notification for google maps.

If you do see the green thing but my app does not see it:
    did you give my app the permission to access notifications? a dialog should have shown up the first time you started it where you could enable it.

Hope this resolves the issue you are seeing.
  11. IndyTiger800

Oddometer:
    I got it. Thanks
  12. IndyTiger800

Oddometer:
    I just tried it on the bike. It connected right up.
    Thanks again
    Phil
    undingen likes this.
  13. bropane

bropane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey this looks really cool and I can't wait to try it out. I was just talking with my riding partner about doing something similar last weekend. I used to be an Android developer and I ride a 2018 SAS. If you need help developing or debugging for the bike I'd be happy to help.
  14. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. danielbak

danielbak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would there be an iOS version in the pipeline?
    comradecasey and cbrxxcess like this.
  16. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Thanks @undingen I sent you a few Shekels for your good work. :clap
  17. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback and support guys, happy to hear that it seems to mostly work and you seem to find it useful :)

I took a quick look at waze: unfurtunately it looks like it does not use android notifications to display information (just displays them at the top inside the app) so it's not possible to support it with my existing code :-(

Thanks for the offer :). This is the first time I'm developing anything for android. Maybe I will open source the code at some point (but not right now) than I would definitely let you know.

Unfortunately I don't have an iOS device so nothing planned :-( also the Bluetooth protocol which gets used on iOS and Android to talk with the KTM seem to be different so it needs more reverse engineering...
    gilligandavis and danielbak like this.
  18. oeggo

oeggo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I tried your software today, it connected to my bike right away. The first 2 turns where displayed correctly then the turn by turn kept frozen on my second indication, and even though I could hear Google maps direction correctly, and my phone displayed the navigation correctly also the screen never changed until I turned off the bike, let me be clear my ktm screen was not frozen, only the turn by turn indications. On my second try it displayed the first indication correctly and stayed frozen on recalculating dialog screen.

My bike is a 2018 1290 SAR, I am Willing to help any way I can... great software, hope you can make it work for the 1290.

Attached Files:

19. bropane

bropane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problem man. Let me know if you want any help . I paired to my bike in the driveway and everything looks great. I'll try it on a ride later today. Great job!
  20. TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow. This is amazing, almost makes me wish I had a 1290. I guess it'll have to wait until february :')

I wonder if this same source code can be applied to other apps (e.g. incoming text messages, speed cam apps like waze, etc)