Free turn-by-turn navigation android app (alternative to MyRide)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by undingen, May 2, 2020.

1. soso2565

soso2565 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super adventure 1290 s 2020
    Galaxy S8
    As some did experience the screen freeze when there is a recalculation in Google map.

If I stay on the google map route it seem to work all the time.

Overall I so appreciate that app itself
    I know it might take lots of work and time again great work
  2. airald

airald Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will try this afternoon on my 1290. I will post results and also phone model and ktm firmware.

Very interesting!
  3. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok this screen freezing issue sounds annoying to debug :-(
    The motorcycle is not replying anything to me so how should I know it froze when it's still receiving my screen updates.
    I think I will have to add some debug view to the app so you folks can give me more infos and we can track it down.

I never had this issue on the 790 but from your reports it seems it's common on the 1290 with my app...
    I think the implementation of the dash is completely different between our machines.
    1290s have the display made by Bosch while the 390 and 790 is made by JNS Instruments India.

One thing which could be a problem:
    Right now the app only sends incremental updates to the screen (only sends the values which changed but not the ones which are the same). I added this because I thought it maybe makes screen refreshes faster/less power consumption. But maybe the 1290 does not like it? I think KTMs MyRide is always sending the whole thing.
    I will add an option to disable it in the next update so you folks can check if it helps things..

Another thing: I noticed that my 790 can't display non latin alphabet characters (e.g. I tried greek and I have seen many <?> symbols...).
    KTM MyRide FAQ says:
    This makes me think that they really did not install non latin fonts which would be a shame :-(.
    But maybe some one of you guys knows if say Greek, Russian, Hindi,.. letters show up on there 1290 (with KTM or mine)?
  4. airald

airald Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First test, just connect, see first instruction, but no movement (we are in lockdown).

All seems ok, connection is fast, and reconnects if restart motorcycle.

I will try in "real mode" when possible.

1290 SAR 2017
    firmware 139.40

Samsung A40 (SM-A405FN)
    Android 10
    undingen likes this.
  5. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just a released a new version (2.0).
    Hopefully this release fixes most bugs / more bugs than it introduces ;)

Most important changes:
    • fix connection problem for (the lucky) people with more than one (paired) KTM
    • made the Bluetooth communication more stable.
      • I hope this fixes the issues on the 1290s.
      • If you still have problems please try disabling "Incremental Updates" in the settings - maybe this helps even more. (If this fixes the issues please let me know and I will change the default)
    • experimental support for OsmAnd. No support for turn icons yet
      • only the text infos (and not yet tested while driving so likely buggy...).
      • I got asked about adding GPX support I hope I can solve this with the OsmAnd integration...
    cwk, Barekat and comradecasey like this.
  6. soso2565

Oddometer:
    Greatly appreciated
    Thanksnfornthe hard work behind the scenes

Just throwing it out there
    Any luck with sygic app?

I have a 1290 s 2020 /Samsung galaxy s8
    I will try the 2.0 tomorrow
  7. DaBit

DaBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found this through Google, while searching for KTM myride connection issues. Amazing! I will do a testdrive soon with the 790R.
    Is the bike<->phone protocol described somewhere?

OSMAnd support would be wonderful, even more so if it can do GPX.

Keep up the good work!
  8. le_bigmac

le_bigmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1290 SAS 2018 with SW 139.40
    Samsung A50
    All four toggle buttons on the app are "ON"

No visual instructions on the dash but I do hear the instructions from the headset. GPS icon is visible on the dash. Any ideas?
  9. soso2565

Oddometer:
    Just to let you know
    SAS 2020
    GALAXY S8
    Turn by turn what not showing on the TFT
    Screenshot_20200509-132404_Turn-by-turn%20navigation%20for%20KTM%20motorcycles.jpg
  10. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi folks.
    @le_bigmac and @soso2565
    Sorry to hear you guys are still encountering problems :-(. Are you using v2.2 (released yesterday I think)?
    Because I spend this week fixing several bugs with the help of a friendly 1290 owner and since yesterday it seemed to work now okay on his bike.
    In 2.1 for example was unfortunately an issue where it would freeze on some special characters...
    If I remember correctly it did show up on the dash of your bikes in an previous releases? Could you please check what version you are using which regressed.. I really hope it's not v2.2...

>Any luck with sygic app?
    I did not hear of this app before but sounds very popular. Unfortunately no plans for now to support but maybe later (but when only text support because adding all the symbols is a a lot of work)

In general I'm surprised how much more picky the 1290 seems to be. I'm now quite sure they don't share the same code behind the scenes.
  11. le_bigmac

le_bigmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sir I'm sorry to let you know that I do have the latest sw from yesterday 2.2... BUT I also tested it yesterday so after reading your comment I went to give it a try and it works! Sir it's a major thing to get rid of the KTM nav, I can't thank you enough!
    undingen likes this.
  12. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    @undingen and others. I checked yesterday and the app couldn't connect for some reason so I rebooted my phone which did the trick... connected right away.

Anyway, I use a Huawei P20 pro and firmware 139.40 on my '19 SAR for reference.
    undingen likes this.
  13. Solktm

Solktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Used the app today on my 2018 SAS.Works great!!!!Rated the app and also donated.I love KTM but it's the worst company when it comes to this stuff.
    undingen likes this.
  14. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so after exhausting testing I reckon phones are the problem, with me anyway. Ive got a Galaxy J5 and a J6 (Corporate Galaxys). J5 works a treat, J6 doesnt.
    J6 was a replacement for the J5 as it has a cracked screen but still works ok. Other benefit of the J5 is it fits in the phone box holder, J6 is too big. Who says upgrades are best.
  15. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Funny I have and old S5 which works great still and as you stated fits in the phone box holder. If support happens for Osmand it'll make a great way to load road trips in advance.
    Saltboxlad likes this.
  16. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds annoying :(.
    The restarting your phone thing is good hint - I'm wondering if maybe the battery saving measures are interfering with my app?!? I think many manufacturers add there own measures which would explain why I'm not seeing this issue. So maybe worth trying to disable it for my app. (the app is actually two things the crappy user interface and a service which does all the things (reading notifications, Bluetooth comm...) and maybe the service gets stopped?!?)
  17. oeggo

oeggo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried the latest version today on my 1290 Sar, it worked perfectly. I had no frozen screen and all indications displayed correctly, although they had like a second of lag or maybe 1/2 a second, between hearing the voice on the comm. and seeing the instruction on the display, but all displayed correctly and did not freeze
    undingen likes this.
  18. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which phone mate?
  19. oeggo

oeggo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a Samsung Galaxy S9+ latest android update
  20. GC265

GC265 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!! Thank you!! I'm tech illiterate and managed to get this up and running after re-reading your first few posts.

18 1290 SAR
    S10e
    And yep I'm all over those stars
    undingen likes this.