Free turn-by-turn navigation android app (alternative to MyRide)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by undingen, May 2, 2020.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    They absolutely will. However, if the app is running as a service it should be nearly unkillable without doing a force stop, that is the point of using a service.

How the power savers interact with the bluetooth transciver is the question if they can kill that to save power, it doesn't matter what the app does, a required function is dying.
  2. airald

airald Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First ride after lockdown, test successful. All signals appears on screen, recalculations are ok too.
  3. soso2565

soso2565 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SAS 2020
    everything is perfect with Google maps

Not sure if it's fixable but the is arrival time but no time

Just to let you know

Good work again
  4. Simon1290s

Simon1290s Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Worked perfectly for me on my SAS 2018.

Thank you!
  5. OKcarburetor

OKcarburetor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am having issues getting this app to get past the "received navigation notification". It pops up on my dash, but won't do anything past this. I followed the instruction, but still no luck. What am I doing wrong?
  6. quibble

quibble Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it was on Android, I had problems until I disabled auto power management. As soon as I did that, life was good
    OKcarburetor likes this.
  7. OKcarburetor

OKcarburetor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll give that a shot and see what happens
  8. quibble

quibble Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There were three things I did (when I initially had problems)
    1. Changed the Google Maps app to accept banner notifications (I don't think this is needed having experimented since but....)
    2. Changed the android power management on the KTM Turn-by-turn app from auto managed to manual (to prevent android putting the app to sleep)
    3. Force stopped your app
    Since doing all of the above, I've had zero problems and the app has worked great with my bike! I'm currently experimenting with OSMAnd as you can follow a track in that (so use GPX routes)
  9. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For people using Xiaomi devices and having the problem where it will suddenly stop working I recently heard that this works:
    1. open the security app
    2. go to permissions
    3. go to auto start
    4. enable the applications that you want to keep running in the background! (=my app)

Can you please also check if in your android settings -> Apps -> (Google)Maps ->Notifications -> Navigation is enabled.
    Also some people mentioned that you may need to restart your phone the first time your using it.

I drove recently a part of TET using my app and OsmAnd (with the tet gpx track) it worked quite good for me but having the turn arrows would definitely be nice improvement. Unfortunately I'm still really busy with work but it's still something I want to eventually add definitely before my next longer trip.
  10. OKcarburetor

OKcarburetor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did have to enable notifications on Google Maps. I'll give it a try again at lunch and see what happens.
  11. OKcarburetor

OKcarburetor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That did it, it works perfectly now. I wasn't really having any issues with the KTM app, but I thought I'd try this with Google Maps. It seems better for actual roads and not trails.
    undingen likes this.
  12. andyw

andyw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you @undingen kudos to you .............I've posted links back to this thread on ktmforum.co.uk and ktmforums.com
    One confirmation of the app being good so far - 2020 1290GT

I'm currently on a 2016/2017 1290GT so no 'My Ride' but hope to have my new 2020 1290SDR sometime in the next 10 days or so :D
  13. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    @undingen I tried OsmAnd and it didn't work for me only google maps. Any tricks getting OsmAnd to work?

...also, are you saying the turn arrows don't work with OsmAnd? I don't use a helmet communication device so I rely on the visuals from the TFT.
  14. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes the turn arrows are unfortunately not yet working on OsmAnd :( but you should see the text info. Like "turn right in 150m" or so. I used this to navigate the TET recently but yes icons would be much better.
    Barekat likes this.
  15. Barekat

Oddometer:
    Great, I'll give it a try again. I like the ability to create my own GPX and upload to osmand (and nice to use the offline maps to conserve data)
  16. airald

airald Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem when uploading GPX to osmand is you Will be noticed at any turn, even if there's only one way to go.

I use kurviger because of that. You can use offline maps but can not create new routes without internet connection.

You can create the GPX using furkot, the integration is so good.
  17. Barekat

Oddometer:
  18. Wrenching

Wrenching Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By any chance can this app also display a message to the TFT? My Indian Chieftain would display the first line of a text message on the screen, and at a glance you would know if it was important and you had to pull over or not. It was very convenient and I miss it! Sorry if that sounds bad with all the texting and driving issues but my daughter lives 45min away and really only texts, rarely calls so I hate to miss them
  19. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    FREESTACKS 4 is a free download emulator which will allow WIN OS to install Android Apps to work

I for using android games on Win OS but allows access to google play store android apps to work

[​IMG]
  20. Barekat

Oddometer:
    @undingen I just imported a gpx into osmand and your app looks like it'll work fine displaying both arrow and text on the 1290R screen. :clap

I've got a 500km trip tomorrow so I'll update this post after that.

Thanks again.
    BK
    nav.jpg
    undingen likes this.