Free turn-by-turn navigation android app (alternative to MyRide)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by undingen, May 2, 2020.

1. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to disappoint but the icon will stay the same (this arrow forward with the lines through it is internally called "undefined" or similar). I tried not displaying any turn symbol at first but this seems to trigger a bug on my 790 which will also stop displaying some of the text. So now I'm just permanently displaying the "undefined" icon for OsmAnd so that at least the text gets shown.

Wish you good trip and have fun!
  2. paulk690

paulk690 PaulSeven9T

Oddometer:
    hi, thanks for developing the app, I'm having an issue with the display, start google maps, start TbyT screen shows a boat? and finish flag. any ideas? start riding no update to this display.
  3. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it a boat, or a GS? :imaposer Sorry, couldnt resist
  4. paulk690

paulk690 PaulSeven9T

Oddometer:
    ha ha, I often referred to my fully loaded 690 as a land barge, so it might have been that.
  5. andyw

andyw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi and thanks again for your efforts developing this app @undingen
    Can you please update us on what changes/updates/fixes if any that you're working on....thnx.

OsmAnd....just downloaded the free version to my tablet to get to know the app.
    Being new to the app I will be grateful for any tips and tricks from log times users to give me a headstart....thnx.
  6. airald

airald Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've tried osmand, but when using GPX, osmand talks at each curve, so talks all the time on curvy routes. It does nit happens when route is created on osmand.

I mailed osmand creator a couple years ago and told me It was normal.

I use kurviger but is not compatible with @undingen app.
    Gemel likes this.
  7. gilligandavis

gilligandavis Gilligan on the Road Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very cool! I mistakenly downloaded KTMs navigation before reading more on it and realized it was SO basic. Your app looks to hit the spot. To bad about Waze - looks like it will need to be quite a bit different since they do not use the notifications bar.

Many thanks for putting this "out"!
    Sky_Eye likes this.
  8. Paolol

Paolol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi I'm not able to have the app working, I installed few times but is not working.
    I have a Huawei Mate 10 with android 10, and my 790 adv is just updated to the latest firmware version, I will like to help as with COVID I have some free time :(
    Thanks for any help.
  9. gilligandavis

gilligandavis Gilligan on the Road Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me neither - I have connected to both MyRide (bluetooth paired) plus KTM's horrible Navigation...
    I am using a Note 9 and bummed.
  10. Paolol

Paolol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I try to contact him using the email on the playstore but email is not valid :(
  11. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry folks I did not see that there have been new replies to the thread.

Here are the reasons I can think of why the app is not working:
    • there is a known issue that unfortunately the app does not work on Android 11 :( because they changed the notifications system again but I'm investigating how to fix it.
    • It's extremely important that you have in your android settings -> apps -> (google)maps -> notifications -> navigation activated (this is if you are using google maps - for osmand it's not required).
    • Some phones require that my app has power safe mode disabled
    • On Xiaomi devices one also needs to:
    1. open the security app
    2. go to permissions
    3. go to auto start
    4. enable the applications that you want to keep running in the background! (=my app)​
    • If you are using an older android phone: check in google play store that google maps updates are is installed
    • There is a website called https://dontkillmyapp.com/ which may provide additional instructions for your specific device in case it still does not work. But please carefully decide if the instructions makes sense and you want to follow them because I did not read all the instructions.
  12. Paolol

Paolol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks no problem,
    I have Huawei Mate 10 with Android 10 and your app is not going after the first screen, also what is suppose to do the button connect ?
    when I push it don't show any info or feedback.
    I check your suggestion on the phone and tomorrow I will try with the bike connected, but as now I don't see any change.
    Let me know if I can help, I have Android Studio on main PC.
  13. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is actually nothing to press inside my app. You navigate somewhere in google maps or OsmAnd and start my app it should automatically connect to the motorcycle (if you previously paired and have bluetooth enabled). The 1 or 4 switches under connections state are just indicating whats going on / where the error is. Until it found the android navigation notification it will not do anything and "Received navigation notification" will be turned of.

Hope this makes things less confusing.
  14. Paolol

Paolol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just finish to try ,
    I connected the phone to the bike, start maps, start you app ... still nothing no switch on the screen
    2 try
    Removed the app, install app, connect phone to bike, open maps select travel route, start navigation, start app ... same as before no switch only connect button :(
  15. XArmy

XArmy uhhhhh......

Oddometer:
    App works great once I enabled the notifications in the google maps app. One question, Is the destination flag covering the arrival time? I think that's what that is.

20210117_121721.jpg
  16. airald

airald Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maybe it happens because time is not using 24h format and it's too long.
  17. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @airald is right it seems like it's too long for the field :(. Unfortunately everything is fixed / I can't change the position of the fields on the display.
    Do you know how the official KTM app is displaying 12h time to make it fit the arrival time field? Should I just skip displaying AM/PM because it should be clear because of the distance to go - what do you prefer?
  18. XArmy

XArmy uhhhhh......

Oddometer:
    Personally, I don't see the need for am/pm. Whatever destination I put in, I pretty much know if it will be am or pm. BTW, that is on my 2021 890R. So it is the latest tft software for reference.
  19. XArmy

XArmy uhhhhh......

Oddometer:
    So I just figured out how to change the clock to 24hr format. I changed the language to EnUK. I see no differences in anything else so far. It didn't change the units or anything other than the clock that I have found yet. The manual says EnUS will be 12hr format.

clock.PNG
  20. OKcarburetor

OKcarburetor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just "upgraded" to android 11... I haven't tried the app since, as it's -5 F at the moment, but it sounds like the app may not function anymore?