Freedom51; a journey of life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by goodcat, May 27, 2016.

1. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Have you forsaken me?
    Or the other way round?
    :jack

Ah whatever, it's time to pay the piper

Getting back to Canada was not just crossing the border and gong back to work. Getting settled took several weeks.
    After seeing my Mom's side of the family it was time to say Hi to my immediate family (what's left of it).
    And seeing my Brother and Dad after almost 3 years was a moment of men and composing feelings and sprinkled with alcohol fairy dust.

It's a long personal story and something I will not share on here, but it remains a very special moment

DSC00589.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00590.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

more to come when I feel inspired...
    The Gnome, MrKiwi, michnus and 5 others like this.
  2. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Is home where the heart is?

Well i guess that depends on what one considers home

For myself and most world travelers, home is planet Earth

And wherever we are... that is home

Some believe that just being born gives us the right to this planet.
    It's much more than being a citizen of a country or small town.
    We are all children of Earth and we all deserve to be here and travel freely.
    A true traveler see's life without borders, and the greedy see only pieces of a pie.
    And some of those greedy/arrogant people think they are some kind of travel god. But the real traveler knows they are full of shit. It reminds me of a small man dooshbag named Paul I know about. And I've met a lot of Paul or Mary type losers in my life. These types don't have a clue and only seek attention.

Just enjoy your trip and travels for yourself.
    If you are doing things in life to impress people, then you will NEVER pass the test and the real people will always see through the BS !!!!!

There is more to come and I will write some collective thoughts .... but for now I am dealing with fitting back into Canadian society of which will only be a passing fancy
    MrKiwi, michnus, DirtSquirt and 7 others like this.
  3. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I’m on a few days ride with a buddy right now. A couple days ago he said that every time he travels, he finds new places he would like to live.
    After thinking about what he said, yesterday I told him that I can’t find a place I want to stay at. Lots of wonderful places, just always another one beckoning.
  4. goodcat

Oddometer:
    I completely understand that thinking.
    It's great to see you out n about on a trip Scot.
    Only "one" person I met on my trip shared the same mentality as myself.... and that is.... I look at places as if I would settle down and live there. That's really the key to making places feel more homey and special. Always search for that little slice of heaven, because they absolutely DO exist.

I used to get bored quickly and feel the urge of what's next and new to explore.
    It's a bit difficult to explain my 180 degree flip to become a slooow traveler, but the process started within a few months of my trip as the reader's may remember.
    My explanation of the "Art of Slow" was for me a slow process of baby steps. After rushing and riding all day and getting up the next day and repeating the process over and over, one gets tired. So we take a day off to recuperate. Then maybe add another day next time. And add another day because relaxing starts to feel pretty darn good and the smell of roses becomes much more enhanced and the morning coffee which once took 10-15mins, now turns into 2 freakn awesome hours of bliss. Then repeat and repeat and life becomes a slow and relaxing turning wheel and stress and time are no longer serious factors of living an enjoyable life.
    It took me 50 years to discover this blissful method of travel and I'm sure pleased that I found it.
    And in time I met more and more "slow" type of travelers and this formed a better experience of hanging out and formed a better understanding of our surroundings and getting to know each other much better. And today I have a tight group of special friends that I still stay in touch with.

In the beginning I had the money and time to travel the whole world and I still wonder how that path would have played out. But as we all know, we must make decisions and choose which forks in the road we take.
    But the Art of Slow opened so many more doors than I ever could have imagined.

GO PACKERS !!!!!! :clap
    1Man2Wheels, MrKiwi, michnus and 5 others like this.
  5. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    I aspire to the slow path. When I say there’s nowhere I want to stay, it’s more like for a long while. I can totally see staying somewhere cool and/or interesting for a few months even.

But I’m probably staying in Seattle (where my kids are) through the fall and winter before kicking off my own “big ride” in the spring. I find myself thinking that eight months is a really long time to stay there. Fortunately I’ll go to Baja for a couple weeks in February.
    ONandOFF, 95Monster and goodcat like this.
  6. goodcat

Oddometer:
    I'll look forward to following your big ride.
    Can you tell us what it is (from where to where?)

I might be in Seattle for the Packers game in November... maybe have a beer if your around?
  7. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    North to south, all the way in both directions, with one minor twist. I would love to meet and buy that beer I promised you, and pick your brain about MX.

If we can’t make it work in Seattle, it’s just a short ferry ride to Vancouver Island.
    ONandOFF and goodcat like this.
  8. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan.
    It's great riding Vancouver Island if you have never done it. Unfortunately the rains are here and progressively going to get worse just like you are experiencing
  9. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    I can say I've been to Bainbridge island... And Vancouver... But not Vancouver island.
    ;)

I know that guy, I mean type.
    :fpalm

I had never considered there was any other way. But you bringing that up got me thinking. So putting two and two together I see from other reports that there really is a different kind of mindset out there. One I find confusing and challenging to make sense of but you've helped me to see it at least. And heaven forbid a question gets asked the wrong way for them or a compliment doesn't live up to their standard or anything rubs them wrong, it's intervention time. Seems all about publicity, which must leave little for an actual experience. Then there's skills mediocre at best which receive great accolades out of ignorance, brown-nosing, or both. Really weird. But when I'm traveling I don't interact with other travelers much. Maybe at the airport or something but not while someplace because I'm seeking to interact with the inhabitants. In the end I come to grips with not being free to travel long term by feeling blessed that I'm 'trapped'. Different strokes. Best to ya man, and thanks for the thought provoking!
    goodcat likes this.
  10. goodcat

Oddometer:
    I understand your comments but would like to focus on one in particular.
    And that is and I quote you... "But when I'm traveling I don't interact with other travelers much."
    I never did much before this either. But long distance and long term travel is a completely different animal than travel for a week or a month. Meeting fellow travelers is just something that happens. Sometime we look for it and sometimes it's a matter of coincidence's. It's really a strange phenomenon. And meeting fellow travelers does indeed usually become a very special circumstance. For me, it just kept happening all along my trip and I very much enjoyed it. I'm nowhere near a social animal at home as I was on my trip. It was a very surprising occurrence and one I had no idea was coming. And it really changed my mindset now, then and forever.
    Things happened to me that I cannot explain. And to this day (now at home), I have had VERY few in depth conversations about my trip because I know people cannot mentally relate to what I'm saying. Most people understand short term holidays but the ONLY way to understand long term travel is to actually do it.

And YES... several folks are mainly into publicity and self promotion. Sad for them IMO
    michnus, Cmnthead, ONandOFF and 3 others like this.
  11. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Even when riding by my lonesome, in remote areas, the people I meet make the trip so much more enjoyable. Which is weird as I do like my solitude.
    goodcat likes this.
  12. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Ah you understand this strange phenomenon too

I think it might just be a traveler's heart kinda thing.... I dunno

But I do know it's very special when it happens

And to be more honest.... It's this attachment that keeps me interested in following the people I've met to this day.
    It was special then and remains special now.

And for this reason, I am an advocate of Facebook.
    I've learned to block the unsavory people to protect peace of mind
    ONandOFF and DunkingBird like this.
  13. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    You know, I gotta be honest. You're honest, I like that, now let's see how you reciprocate. That sounds a little elitist to me. Okay, more than just a little. That doesn't mean I totally disagree. It's based on reality. The only way to know what anything is really like is to do it. But... even then, does everybody doing it get the same experience and learn the same things? So it extends to the only way to understand what paul or mary does is to BE paul or mary. Right? But wait, you're saying. I can understand what jumping from a plane is even if I haven't felt it. I understood driving a car before I got behind a wheel. I understand dying from cancer. So maybe it is possible for someone to understand something about long term travel without actually doing it. It's not the same, just like any two people who experience the "same" thing, but each has his/her understanding, at some level. Then ya gotta define long term. Does three years qualify? To whom? Is 'majority rule' sufficient to settle it or is it all relative? Does it even matter what anyone else thinks? As I pan my head over the IRL crowd, I don't see many hands raised to the question, "have you ever flown to a foreign country with nothing more than an airline ticket and a carry-on bag and wandered around for a month staying and eating in places you seek out?" There's a couple in the far back; I guess the other thousands just don't understand it. Even the long term motorcycle travelers, because why, it's not the same thing after all. I mean, could they? :hmmmmm

Let's be fair, too. An elitist take - it's all about putting up walls (PF style not DJT) and dividing people up. They say We've done this and you haven't so nanner nanner boo boo. Okay. So you're special. That's cool. Enjoy. But it's like me saying it must be an extremely limited experience traveling to another country and not be fluent in the language. How can they learn the nuances of people's triumphs and tribulations in their culture and share their own if they can't participate in normal everyday conversation? Answer: they can't. And they don't. Other than what they glean from hand gestures and a vocabulary of a couple dozen phrases, which gets 'em by but doesn't provide much window into their lives either way, if we're going to be fair. But would we go so far as to disqualify them for this, as some might disqualify month-long journeys over years-long? We could try, but it's really apples and oranges. Which brings up another comparison, does the guy on a Honda really get the same experience as the guy on a KTM? :hmmmmm

As to interaction with other travelers - yes it would be a different perspective being away from ones culture for extended periods and moreso being away from regular conversation. I would gladly welcome interaction with any Moto travelers in any country whether mine or one I'm visiting. But to approach other gringos on the streets in other countries, it just isn't my style, I don't need the conversation, nor the typical view on things. Frankly, on a couple of occasions it's actually been frustrating to put up with so I've defaulted to avoiding it. Time is short and precious, particularly when a return flight awaits. I know you understand, even if you haven't done exactly that.
  14. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    And that. It's not about the past, it's about comparing styles and noting how different individuals can experience and interpret the very same things two different ways. It can extend to how different individuals respond to the differing experiences and interpretations of others.
  15. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

SLOOOOOOOOW!!
    goodcat likes this.
  16. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Ongoing interviewing thoughts here, I like it!

Meanwhile back in Mexico at the Bamboo farm...they make straws now, just saying...reusable, recycle etc.

"Living on a lighted stage
    Approaches the unreal
    For those who think and feel
    In touch with some reality
    Beyond the gilded cage"
    goodcat likes this.
  17. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    :scratch
    BTDT already. Try to keep up. :lol2
  18. goodcat

Oddometer:
    OnO

You can call it or me whatever you want
    But the fact remains that I have been on both sides of the fence as far as travel goes.
    And when I say people don't understand... I mean it. It's not elitist. It's just a fact.
    I didn't understand before I left and I studied adventure riding for 6 months before I left.
    In the end it turned out to be nothing like I had thought...
    Ya other's will be affected differently, that's obvious.
    I can't change what happened and I can't change what others interpret.

And no one can say they understand if they have never done it. Adventure riding is all about doing it. Otherwise ... WTF is the point of spending loads of money and time to experience it? We could just stay home and read for free.
    Of course that's ridiculous.
    I've read Mick n Tan's adventures in Africa and I know damn well that I cannot fathom what they experienced. It's only a surface and distant knowledge. And I will only be able to know about Africa by riding it for myself.... period !!

I write my thoughts as honest as I can. Maybe in the future my thoughts will change.

I'm really not interested in debating this.
    I am me and you are you.... The end
  19. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Right on, Shawn. Appreciate the response and your position. I hope you didn't think I was implying you're wrong or anything, just that there's three sides to a coin. It's just a discussion about views, not a debate to be won or lost. You have an interesting and encouraging story and I like you which is why I take my time to tune in and contribute. I think you'd be a blast to spend time with. You're not a yes man or bend over to please people, you're your own person. I find that refreshing. Hope you have a great time with your dad and brother and others, enjoy working, and your dreams come to fruition.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    howdy Shawn I see you are wraping up your ride report,I pop inevery now and then. I left home last friday in plus 2 and snow flurries,it took until Nevada before I warmed up! haha The strom is running good and the plan is 4 or 5 weeks of Mexico wandering and then storage for a few months then repeat. lots of talk on different ways of traveling. I like travelling and just happen to do it on a moto.If I was not a luddite I would do a ride report but you know me and that is not going to happen at least until I get a cell phone hahaha
    ONandOFF and goodcat like this.