Freedom51; a journey of life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by goodcat, May 27, 2016.

1. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    OK I made it to Kamloops where all my stuff is in storage

This photo is so damn special to me that it get's a special post all on it's own

2 yrs later and finally reunited.... No words to explain this

DSC00648.jpg
  2. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    I have to admit that really is a great pleasure for me to see my book on the living room shelf...

[​IMG]
    goodcat and ScotsFire like this.
  3. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Thats awesome
    twinie likes this.
  4. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gato Bueno I went back and re read the first 80 or so pages of your RR...for me that was such a pivotal part of your trip. Love this RR thank you for taking us along!
  6. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Thanks Romero for coming along.
    We'll have to meet up when I get back.
    I'm not done with Mexico by a long shot and the ruins around MX city and everywhere else

Looks like much more work is being done with Lidar detection in the Maya lowlands (lower Yucatan and upper Guatemala) and showing huge unknown cities.
    And there's still Belize and Honduras.
    So many breakthroughs are yet to be found
    Romero likes this.
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    goodcat and michnus like this.
  9. goodcat

Oddometer:
    YA MAAN it's impressive isn't it !!!!

It's what I've been saying for quite some time. There are literally thousands of unknown, unmapped and untouched ruins by archaeologists. What we know now will be nothing like what our future knowledge will hold.

The biggest problem is funding and danger. LIDAR is very very expensive to do. But it is the new wave that allows us to see computer print outs. But getting on the ground for hands on research is another big problem. Not only because of the jungle thickness and scarey monsters in there, but these jungles are still ruled by the Narco's. Over half of Honduras remains untouched because of the Narco activities and it's not safe to explore in there. I know of one famous archaeologist (Arthur Demarest who's book I'm currently reading) who has to bribe the Narco's to do research. Sometimes and most times they only get 3-4 days in there. Well what the hell can ya do in that little time? Maya (mesoamerica) research is plagued with problems. And it's really sad because most people still don't comprehend how important it is to our world history. And even sadder still is that so many people believe in fairy tales of the ancient Maya and those stupid stories keep spreading. I can't tell you how frustrating it was for me to be on a site and hear what people talked about. HEADY EXPLODY !!!!! :baldy

Anyway.... I'll find a way to get my foot in the door of researching somehow someway someday.... and spread the good word haha

It's been exciting reporting here and seeing the interest level grow. It all took me by surprise and something I still remain fascinated in.

Thanks for posting this Michnus :wave

Maya food production was far more advanced and different than what we do today. The jungle crops were not just slash and burn, but small and separate gardens throughout the city. A lot of specialized irrigation systems and raised platforms with little destructive effects on the jungle like we see today.
    Most of the heiroglyphic language can be read but anything from pre Maya (Olmec) is completely not known. We don't even know who or where this tribe came from outside of educated guesswork.
    And still to this day, the Ballcourt and it's game remains nothing more than speculation based on paintings and assorted heiroglyphs/petroglyphs
    And of course no one knows how this civilization collapsed to this day
    michnus likes this.
  10. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    "And there's still Belize and Honduras"

aaaand El Salvador... I'll try to give y'all some teasers in February...:eyes
  11. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Yes man I'll be looking forward to seeing what you find
    roadcapDen likes this.
  12. goodcat

Oddometer:
    The mods cleaned up the posts here, but ya I didn't and don't like it

Baldy pm'd me and said he'll have a talk w/ the solicitor in question. Obviously many folks know who the perp was :mulie
  13. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Enough drama so I'll continue where I left off in this homecoming

While in Kamloops I decided to camp and see how it felt.
    Well it felt really weird and uncomfortable. I'm used to being in a house or hotel in my old home town. Now I felt like a stranger. It's the strangest feeling I've had since being back.
    But this RV park is nicely located by the river and I could hear Music in the Park event going on. Every Summer, Kamloops puts on live music in the park every weekend. It's really pretty cool.
    So I stayed here a few nights and waited for long time friend to return from his week long Harley trip with his wife. Boy did he have a trip as he said almost everyday of riding was through rainstorms in the mountains. And you know how Harley folks dress don't ya? Ya they got soaked haha. Then I stayed with them for a few more days where I started having starting problems. We thought it was the battery because it's so old, but later found out it wasn't. It was probably the stator or regulator, but I decided not to fix it since I was so close to my final destination of Vancouver Island where work awaits. That turned into a separate adventure to be told a teeny bit later haha

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00654.jpg
    Rain threatened and the news said thunder showers so I tarped up. But the rains never came thankfully.

DSC00664.jpg

DSC00655_1.jpg

there's only a few more posts left and boy am I dragging out the finish :bmwrider

maybe because if I'm still doing my report, it feels like it's not over :zilla
    WJW, Cal, crashkorolyk and 3 others like this.
  14. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The third pic in your post........ Bike under roof and you under a tarp....thats true love!! Still lovin your report!!
    DunkingBird and goodcat like this.
  15. goodcat

Oddometer:
    thanks buddy

Me moto deserves the luxury suite haha

nice to still have folks following

cheers
    DunkingBird likes this.
  16. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good job buddy!
    goodcat likes this.
  17. goodcat

Oddometer:
    While I was at the campground I witnessed this moose in the water while having my morning coffee
    It was struggling in the current and seemed to be trying to cross the river opposite of me, which is odd because I saw no sign of it on my side.

I went back to my campsite which is about 30 seconds walk to get my phone and call Wildlife services.....
    But when I cam back to the same spot the moose was gone
    What happened?
    Did it get carried down river? I don't think so because I wasn't gone long enough for it to travel out of site
    I met a guy walking his dog who was going down river and asked him to look for the moose. But he told me later that he didn't see it.

Seems this young moose went under is the conclusion...

DSC00658.jpg
    crashkorolyk and DunkingBird like this.
  18. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    calm down @goodcat, the homepage is a new feature taking this site in a new direction.

Personally I like it. The promotional area is now formalised and separated from the forum.

You set up your url to take you directly to forum and bypass the homepage if you never want to see it.

The have bike reviews now too. Not my favourite thing but the site is morphing into more than just a report forum
  19. goodcat

Oddometer:
    NOPE

Sorry bro, but I know things you obviously don't

I'll handle it my own way

Ban me... I couldn't give a shit

Great... Now we have an advertising/solicitation homepage. Watch where this leads to :baldy
  20. goodcat

Oddometer:
    was cool while it lasted... enjoy

I don't kiss anyone's azzz... you should know this by now
    Smidty likes this.