Freedom51; a journey of life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by goodcat, May 27, 2016.

1. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    We had quite a debate about this among the mods because she posted the other day in the vendors forum about her Indiegogo campaign. I didn't think anything of it and ordered one of her autographed books. I've been troubled about this for awhile because I'm friends with many of the people we've run off the site in years past for having funded adventures, like Lyndon, so I have to go to Instagram to follow them. And I got some flame-o-grams for letting Egle post in vendors.

What we decided is first, with regard to the forums, if you have something to sell on places like Indiegogo or Kickstarter, you should be able to post those things in the vendors forum. Not in ride reports or anywhere else on the forums, just vendors. We're not a party to the transaction and who are we to blacklist Kickstarter or the legit creators who invent cool stuff for motorcycling? People like Lyndon and Egle are in the top 0.1% of adventurers, they are some of the characters I had in mind when we built ADV and I hate flaming them away. We have to make a judgement call, as we do for all other vendors, so we don't have vendors selling stuff that has nothing to do with adventure motorcycling.

As for the new editorial home page written by a combination of inmates and writers, which is what you're referring to, I expect there will be constant questions about this. Why did you guys review a KTM but not a Husky? How did you decide to interview Cort Rand about his motorcycle tour company in Ecuador? I think on those editorial pages, the writers should be able to write about products they love, and Sid apparently loves Egle's book. I know I do. I suspect the writers will interview many other authors about their books too. Isn't that a good thing? It's not the same as inviting those writers to come into the forums and pimp their books, other than in vendors—which they're free to do because we set vendors up for that purpose.
    Nanuq and dondesmo like this.
  2. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:

I appreciate your clarification @Baldy

And I will take your comments into careful considerations based on the evolution of Advrider, which I enjoy being a member of.

I know you understand my concerns and I likewise understand your new directional attempts. Can't say I like it, but I can say I'll consider the possibility of accepting it without further conflict.

No drama mate :freaky
    chinditone likes this.
  3. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, @goodcat . To be honest, my eyebrows went up a little when I saw it, but since I know Egle well and her writing and wouldn't have known about the book if she didn't post in vendors, I was okay with it.

I give my opinions to @Pauladv , the guy in charge of content on the pages, and I wrote two of the stories, but we get a lot of things wrong every time we roll out something new. I don't really know for sure what people will like and not. All I can really say is I enjoyed writing the two stories I did and I liked the article about what it's like to run a motorcycle tour business in Ecuador.
    Rudy, DunkingBird and goodcat like this.
  4. goodcat

Oddometer:
    OK let's quickly escape any extended drama

While in Kamloops, the forest fires were still in bloom.
    So close to a trailer park (within 100 meters) and the skies went hazy. It's a serious problem almost every year here.
    Kamloops is a great little town IMO. I much prefer it to the over populated Kelowna. Damn I used to go from work to the bush in about 15 minutes drive. The hunting and fishing is excellent here and still has all the amenities of a big city but in a small package.

look dead centre and see the fire smoke.

DSC00666_1.jpg
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    I see one of my comments was also deleted. @Baldy just on the Court article as example, how will you say no to every other tour operator doing the same? Getting some one to write a similar type article and wanting to also have their article published there and not make it look like an advert or spam? The same can be said for any product review then. Must those kind of write-ups not rather be in Vendors?
    I see the value of the front page news desk, but might create issues that way.
    Just asking :D
    goodcat likes this.
  6. Baldy

Oddometer:
    It's going to be hard, @michnus . If we don't mess it up and it becomes popular, a lot of people will want to be profiled and be upset when we don't. This seems to be baked in to journalism and entertainment. Why did Jimmy Kimmel have her as a guest and not me? Companies hire entire PR teams to try and get themselves covered in the press.
    ScotsFire, goodcat and michnus like this.
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    You are going to have your job cut out for you, that's for sure. But you are an old hand and I am sure will manage it. :deal:D

Not to bugger up poor Goodcat's post. Just a quick one, I have written some review articles for products, I don't get money for it and arent affiliated with any. Would it be wrong to share those on my Trip thread or are those meant for Equipment and how to make sure the mods don't see it as some spam or promotion?
    ScotsFire and goodcat like this.
  8. goodcat

Oddometer:
    No worries about discussing this here Michnus my friend

I'd like to know more details as well

I'm not happy with personal advertising or solicitation in the new front page.
    Mostly because I don't want it to lead to more and more in the future.

Its going to be a slippery slope I can see it already
    motrhead, ScotsFire and michnus like this.
  9. goodcat

Oddometer:
    @michnus

Post whatever you wish.
    And maybe throw in some funding requests while you're at it.... it's a free for all baby :clap

The new wave has begun so ride it
    michnus likes this.
  10. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    goodcat and michnus like this.
  11. goodcat

Oddometer:
    That's very cool and thanks
    Smugmug is my source for storing pics
    But
    I want my RR in print what I posted here. Minus some of the posts but I do like and very much enjoyed people's inputs. It was a very important part of my journey and I would prefer it to be included. Some of the crap I will edit.

I have to say that being home is nothing like I expected or was told might happen.
    I have experienced no depression or sadness.
    In fact, my life has been enriched by my journey and carries me into the future of planning another trip.

So, if I could give any advice, it would be.... get off your duff and getter done folks.
    Life is for the living and it's all out there for you.
  12. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nicely said Mr. Cat!! ^^^
    goodcat likes this.
  13. goodcat

Oddometer:
    I should like to mention that I did a bit of a write up on ancient South American culture on @XR Valdeez thread... page 52

You might be surprised just how insignificant the Inca really were and further reinforces my knowledge of how much the media influences and pollutes our thinking and feeds the tourist industry

The good thing is that if I had of gone to S America, I probably would have missed many important ruins. But now if I go, I have a greater understanding.
    This is what I tell myself to feel better about my decision making :imaposer:imaposer

https://advrider.com/f/threads/one-man-one-moto-the-true-adventure.1276065/page-52
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  14. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool Goodcat! When u coming down? We can meet u at the airport!
    :photog
  15. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    :beerHappy Birthday Shawn!:dutch
    Grynch and goodcat like this.
  16. goodcat

Oddometer:
    WOW thanks buddy

I didn't expect to see this here

Cheers my friend :beer

I guess I better wrap this RR up soon eh?

There's really only a few posts and my final destination of Vancouver Island where I am currently living and working

I've been busy following friends on their travels that I forgot I had one by this time :photog:imaposer

And... I will state my dislike for the new forum direction it's taking
    That's my opinion and I'm entitled to voice it

I have to pay to remove ads?
    SERIOUSLY!!!!????

HAHAHA WTF

How bout I get paid to post my hard time consuming RR work here?
    YA
    That's sounds more fair
  17. goodcat

Oddometer:
    DSC00691.jpg SO.... It was still Summer months upon my return to Canada (here in Chilliwack). Nah I don't remember it all now or the actual dates :jack

So from Kamloops, BC I went back to my brother's in Vedder and spent time on the river

Summa time is good times here

She was really very friendly and let me inspect her tattoo's very closely that day LOL

DSC00678_1.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00688.jpg

Jeezus what a fat bastard 2yrs of doing NOTHING can do to a man :imaposer
    dano619, roadcapDen, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.
  18. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good going Shawn! Keep it up!
    goodcat likes this.
  19. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto!:freaky
    goodcat likes this.
  20. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    "I guess I better wrap this RR up soon eh?"

Noooo, say it ain't soooo...