Freezing my butt going to AK from TN because COVID-19 forced me to leave late

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DaCaton, Sep 15, 2020.

1. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    EDIT: Click this link to follow my progress! https://share.garmin.com/DaCaton

Hey all,

I’m a longtime lurker, and not really a big poster here, but I’m going on my first multi-day adventure.

Here’s a little bit of back story on this adventure:

I’m currently stationed in TN in the army and I am getting stationed back near my home in Anchorage, AK. I was supposed to leave in mid August and had all my stuff other than what would be needed for the trip shipped up there early.

Then one of my soldiers directly under me tested positive for the ‘rona. This forced me to be quarantined for 14 days. Except 14 days turned into 25 days because my unit doesn’t know how to do paperwork. This caused me to miss my report date and request new amended orders to AK. I finally got these orders last Friday and hopefully will be leaving this Friday, September 18th.

This is much later than I was planning on leaving, and I have been living out of a duffle bag for the past while.

Anyways, as for the trip, the Army is giving me twelve days to make it to Anchorage. Canada is giving me 24hrs to go through the Yukon Territory, and I’m planning on saving as much per diem as possible by staying in a tent. Route will be the most direct route, and I will be going through ND into Canada.

My bike is a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. I regret getting the automatic bike, but it was such a good deal I couldn’t pass it up. I have Bumot hard luggage, outback mototek crash bars, bark buster hand guards, and a touratech seat. That’s most of the mods, asides from new mirrors, and an expanded foot stand base.

For gear, I have a full Klim Carlsbad suit, TCX GTX Baja boots, klim adventure GTX short gloves and an Arai XD-4. I wasn’t planning on needing heated gear, but now I wish I had gotten some. I’ve been searching Facebook marketplace and hopefully can get a set within the few days before I move. I guess I’ll just have to layer up and hope for the best.

It’s almost 4,000 miles there. Luckily I won’t have to make a return trip, otherwise I would definitely be seeing snow.

That’s all I got for now. If anybody has info regarding current road conditions in the worst parts of Canada, that would be appreciated. If I have to, I’ll just get a Uhaul and drive there if it gets too bad. But that’s probably not going to happen.

I’ll update later as I load up the bike and prepare.

Attached Files:

Mrstig, Dan Diego, talcon and 10 others like this.
  2. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That stretch of Canada is going to take longer than you think. should not be that cold yet, but plan out your stops and be prepared for anything!
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  3. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Well good luck and have a safe trip.
    As far as heated gear, a cheaper and easier option that isn’t as good but still very helpful, is get a decent 1 piece close fitting rain suit and rain over gloves with a long gauntlet cuff.

Riding along the top of Lake Superior getting chilled to where I was shaking / shivering and then became quite comfortable after donning the gear and cinching up so no air getting in.
    Rusty J and dtysdalx2 like this.
  4. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

I got heated grips, so as far as gloves go, if I have to, I’ll just wear some conventional winter gloves.

and all my gear has GoreTex baked in, and I have like 4 layers I can wear under it. I’ve ridden down to 20*f in it, and it wasn’t comfortable, but it was bearable. The only issue is that comfort equals safety on these long rides.
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  5. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

I’m giving myself 10 days to do it with two days extra as a backup. It’s going to be long days, but I’ve been on plenty of convoys that were 20+hrs and I think I can do it if I just shoot for 400-500miles a day.
    talcon and Rapturee2 like this.
  6. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be safe and thank you for your service!

Sammy
  7. Bender2

Bender2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's at least a 6 day ride if you want to do it safely and reduce the danger of fatigue. You will be getting fatigued much faster in cold weather.
    ATV mitts are the best non-electric cold weather hand protection. https://www.amazon.com/atv-handlebar-mitts/s?k=atv+handlebar+mitts
    Tok, Alaska has a motorcycle-only campground if you plan on resting in the area.
    Rapturee2 and DaCaton like this.
  8. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

That sounds perfect. I’ll have to look into it.
  9. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard of someone doing this, but Milwaukee & DeWalt both make battery powered, heated jackets. As long as you could find an outlet for charging, and could fit the jacket under your Carlsbad, that could be a quick way to add heat to your set up.

That's beautiful country. I hope you have good weather.
    minisoda likes this.
  10. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Rooting for you on this. Watching with interest. Good luck and safe riding!
    ZoomerP likes this.
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    wish you a great ride all the way from another AT rider.

:ricky
    ZoomerP likes this.
  12. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    one thing i will add is google all the honda dealers along the way and keep them on your phone.
    dtysdalx2, DaCaton and ZoomerP like this.
  13. Bender2

Bender2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If the Robert Service campground in Whitehorse is open, I would recommend staying there.
    Foot dragger, akadvntr and ZoomerP like this.
  14. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stop at a Cycle Gear and get their heated pants and jacket. Reasonable price and they work well, especially the new design. The controller is built in, so that saves a bit. Only need to route the power cable from your battery to the front of the seat. This will make your trip much more comfortable.
    quackPOT, Rapturee2, DougA and 4 others like this.
  15. Gerald_G

Gerald_G mostly still a noob.

Oddometer:
    I have a Milwaukee heated jacket - it won't last long enough on a charge. You could plug it into the bike maybe, but I think a purpose specific heated bike layer would be a better option.

We are experiencing frost warnings at night in Alberta already.
    It would not be at all out of the usual for there to be a snowstorm north of Dawson Creek B.C. at this time of year.
    Take care, watch the weather forecasts etc. I hope the trip goes well for you.

I can't really tell from the map you posted, what part of Alberta will you be passing through?
    ZoomerP likes this.
  16. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another thing I would strongly recommend are bar mitts. Here is the company I bought from some years ago: https://obradvgear.com/moto-grip-mitts/

With grip heaters and these, I usually can ride with light gloves and have better feel and comfort than riding with gauntlet gloves. Having cold and wet hands suck.
    drphysics and dtysdalx2 like this.
  17. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

I’ve double checked with my insurance and have coverage for roadside assistance all the way there. I have spare inner tubes and a pump in case of a flat also. I will be double checking Honda dealers on the way too.
    NSFW likes this.
  18. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

I want those, but at this point, I would rather spend my limited funds on a heated jacket and just wear snow machine gloves that I have.
  19. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    I will be passing through Edmonton to Grand Prairie and then onwards to Dawson Creek.
  20. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    Oof! Stay Warm! :vardy

I was up in the Fargo Moorhead area a week or so ago and it got down to 34 deg F!

Not so nice up here starting Thursday. Get yer warm gear on! Edmonton doesn't look too bad this weekend.

[​IMG]