Freezing my butt going to AK from TN because COVID-19 forced me to leave late

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DaCaton, Sep 15, 2020.

1. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the marge of Lake LeBarge (LaBerge)? BTDT
  2. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take a few chemical hand warmer packets to tuck in your gloves.
    They might become very important.
    DaCaton likes this.
  4. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

Jack London is by far one of my favorite authors.

I got a box of hand warmers and foot warmers!
    ZoomerP likes this.
  5. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
  6. drphysics

drphysics n00b

Oddometer:
    I ride year around in Colorado and these save me on the really cold days: Oxford Super Handlebar Muffs. Just Google them.

For heated gear, check out Cycle Gear. You get military discount. If you like what they have, call the Bridgeton store because it's on your way through St Louis.

Cycle Gear Bridgeton
    10897 Saint Charles Rock Road
    Bridgeton, Missouri

Tel.: 314-298-7222

Best to you on your ride and thank you for serving our great country! Screenshot_20200915-235217.jpg
    Rapturee2, hobnobber and dtysdalx2 like this.
  7. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    In. This sounds like it’s going to be a good one!
  8. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    Our son came south from Homer to Texas two weeks ago and sent some pictures of about 6" of snow from the vicinity of Muncho Lake. I believe the pictures were taken about September 1st.
  9. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Muncho Lake surrounded by snow must be quite beautiful.

Unless you're riding cross-continent on a motorcycle.
    Rapturee2, Hogges and Antikid like this.
  10. colddog

colddog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This morning was frosty in Grande Prairie but forecast is for warmer weather, perfect for your trip north!
  11. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW the (very cool) campground in Tok is Thompson's Eagle Claw...and they show as having closed for the season yesterday.
    Good luck with your ride, I'll be watching as to my knowledge you're one of the only Inmates that will have been able to cross the border this year.
    :beer
    ScotsFire likes this.
  12. Sidney

Sidney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you need anything on your way through Bloomington, IL ping me. I'm on Tent space. (Actually I'll just PM you my cell.) Thanks for your service.

Sidney
    DaCaton likes this.
  13. wanderlost

wanderlost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great ride. However as someone who has been riding since the late 60's, I can tell you that cold weather riding was transformed when I got heated gear. Even if you just got a heated vest it would be a huge difference, but since you'll be in Anchorage for a while, go for the full jacket. It is well worth the cash and you should be able to find one at most cycle gear stores or most dealers. It is both a comfort and safety issue, and the ride will be much more enjoyable. Ride safe.
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  14. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    I managed to snag a heated jacket liner from the flea market today! I didn’t have enough time for it to be shipped, so I’m picking it up at a friends place in Minnesota.

I also got a Garmin in-reach in case I need to send out an SOS call, and it’ll allow me to text my parents and give my mother piece of mind being able to track me. I’ll get it setup today and see about sharing a tracker once I get started.

Additionally, my insurance said they offer roadside assistance all the way up through to AK, so I made my parents authorized users and can text them through my inreach in case of a breakdown to call for roadside help if I’m stranded in Canada or AK.

I’m super excited to leave. I’ve spent three years (asides from a 9 month deployment) here at Fort Campbell and I’m ready to be back home.
    Rapturee2, mikegc, DukeMButu and 7 others like this.
  15. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    You'll like the inReach. Carry it on your person, if possible. Have Mom get comfortable using the tracking map, and have her send a text message or two. Unless your plan allows for a high number of texts, be sure to explain that it can get expensive, so no lengthy conversations.
    dtysdalx2 and Project Mayhem like this.
  16. 2wheellifer

2wheellifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wear the heated layer as 2nd layer next to the skin and the rest of the layers over to keep the heat in.
  17. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to read you got the heated gear. The heated jacket and bar mitts are a game changer for cold weather riding. Will be following along on your adventure!
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Edmonton if you need a place to crash, do laundry, etc. Mostly sunny and 60-70F days. As mentioned, overnights and early mornings are getting cooler but no frost here yet. No US smoke in the sky. Covid free building.
  19. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

Yeah, it sucks that all texts sent and received count toward the 40 messages I’m allotted with my plan. Luckily, I can set the preset messages to whatever I want and send an unlimited amount of those, as long as she knows I’m okay and where I’m at, she’ll be fine. She knows she can text, but I’ve told to not to reply unless she has vital info regarding road conditions, weather, or some other emergency.

I also fly Bush planes, and go into pretty remote places year round in Alaska, so it’s worth it to have the inreach explorer+
    Rapturee2, mikegc, dtysdalx2 and 2 others like this.
  20. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    I have an Explorer+ , too. I usually just send a canned message about starting the day, and another once I'm done moving for the day. The messages include location data, so it shows my campsites, too.

The Explorer+ is a poor navigation tool, but I've used its base map in a pinch. I'd have a mini, but the model wasn't available at the time.

If you don't mind letting us follow along, I'm sure several of us would like to watch your progress, but I understand if you'd rather not.
    Amphib likes this.