Freezing my butt going to AK from TN because COVID-19 forced me to leave late

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DaCaton, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Me4speed

Me4speed Dirt/pavement=Relief

Oddometer:
    I’ve done quite a little bit of traveling in BC you will probably make better time if you travel further west in the states and then head north once your in the NW, Idaho or Washington it will also be warmer longer just a suggestion.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  2. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

I’ve looked at that route, and it’ll add around 600 miles.
  3. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    Did a little ride today to make sure all my gear fits and is stable at speed. I still have an empty side case that will probably end up having some paperwork and other things that I will have to get. I think instead of bungee cords, I will switch to a ratchet strap, or a combo of both.

Bike felt great. I’ve never messed with the front suspension preload and I think it could be a little higher. Any advice on doing that?

Attached Files:

4. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another suggestion.....get rid of the bungee cords and and ratchet straps and get a bunch of Rok Straps. I am sure there will be a lot of others seconding this suggestion. They are strong and nice and adjustable. Get extras, in case you want to rearrange things or get something else to pack along the way.

https://rokstraps.com/

From the comments of our Canadian friends, looks like you are in for an interesting trip. Enjoy the ride and looking forward to your report.
    B10Dave, BCBackRoads, mikegc and 2 others like this.
  5. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

I’ve seen them and was planning on getting them, especially after seeming a fortnine video commenting about them. Only issue is that I’ve never seen them for sale around here. Also, I live in the barracks and mail can take upwards of a month to reach me.
  6. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I assume you’re headed to Ft. Richardson. I was stationed at Elmendorf for almost five years. It was the highlight of my career! I retired three years ago. I’ve done the drive several times. Never on a motorcycle though. I did it in my truck in 2011 from Oklahoma City. I drove all day every day for six days to get there. Can you take leave and take longer? It’s worth it in my opinion. When we moved back to Oklahoma, I was allowed 11 days. I took additional leave and we took three weeks. It was a fantastic trip. I want to get back to Alaska on my bike. Well, I’d probably upgrade to something a little more road friendly than my DR650 first.
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what's in the duffle, but if it'll soak up a bunch of water in the rain, you might want to at least line it with a trash compactor bag, or use a few TC bags tied shut inside the duffle.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I rode home once from Palmer to nor cal starting Sept 1st,and I just missed the time when bridges start freezing over luckily. Once the bridges freeze it can take till noon to unfreeze them.
    Rest of road would be fine but bridges froze. I was also lucky enough to catch a solid wall of rain from Palmer AK to Weed near Mt Shasta in nor cal.
    Every day rain all day with some hydro planing involved and riding through mudslides. I thought it was fun after a while,I like a challenge.

I rode an R1150R with a sport windshield so the rain was nailing me in the chest,the BMW heated vest I picked up in Anchorage was a key factor in keeping moving,and really good BMW heated grips. By early Sept motorhomes and every other tourist is getting out of Alaska,for obvious reasons.
  9. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    My original plan was to leave in July and take 30 days around the US visiting every national park I could. Unfortunately, there was a stop move because of COVID-19 and now they’re allowing PCS’s to take place, but you’re only allowed the time to get there. Nothing extra. Otherwise I would have!

Edit: And you’re correct! I am going to JBER, though my entire family lives in Eagle River, Anchorage, and the Mat-Su Valley.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  10. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    The duffel bag is waterproof asides from the zipper, and I have an army issued wet weather bag keeping all things that must stay dry thrown in that.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  11. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang! That's a bummer. Both of my younger brothers are still in. One is in the Air Force and was stuck in Korea longer than his original tour duration. He finally made it back to the US a couple months ago. My other brother is a Navy submarine commander. He has some pretty extreme restrictions in place to keep him from getting infected. It's hard to social distance on a sub! Retirement is where it's at. I do what I want. Hang in there! HA!

Sounds like JBER is the perfect assignment then. My only regret was that I chose to live on base. I'd live in Eagle River if I had it to do over again. Wasilla/Palmer is nice but the commuting 100+ miles every day would get old quick I'd think.

As for securing luggage, have you ever seen Voile straps? They're pretty useful for strapping stuff to a bike.
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    If you post your question about suspension in one the Africa Twin threads (or Adventure Sports threads) in the Beasts section I am sure someone of similar size can suggest some suspension settings.
  13. Me4speed

Me4speed Dirt/pavement=Relief

Oddometer:
    One other thing just had a friend go there a month ago and he was not able to stop anywhere while in Canada except for fuel and food had to sleep in his truck all due to COVID not sure if it is still that way you might want to look in to that. Good luck on your ride and safe travels
    DaCaton likes this.
  14. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lived in SE Alaska for twenty years and people don't realize that August is the beginning of Fall and September can be anything from rain to ice or snow. My advice is if the day is fine ride until you can't go further. Tomorrow may be Winter.
  15. Brokenhorse

Brokenhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Western Montana to the coast is gross, thick fire smoke now. Can't see the scenery anyway so your more easterly route hopefully will have clear skies. Keep an eye on the sat maps and inciweb.com fire maps. A good storm will clear it up and improve air quality quickly though.
    Best!
    dtysdalx2 and DaCaton like this.
  16. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    I read the owners manual and figured it out! Though I didn’t feel like unpacking my duffle bag, so I’ll just do it once I stop tomorrow. Today was a busy day getting ready and doing paperwork so the army can let me leave.
  17. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    I’ve lived in a remote part of AK. Halfway point for the Iditarod, fly-in only village of 50 people just south of the arctic circle, so I know it can change quick.

My plan is ride until I can’t, and then make the call to get four wheels from a uhaul or something if I can’t make it. Though I doubt that will happen.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  18. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    My tracker is up! I will be leaving at around 5am CST on the 18th.

Click this link to follow along where I’m at!

I’ll edit the first post to show it also.
    Rapturee2, Antikid, Surcease and 3 others like this.
  19. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool! I'm starting a giant 2-3 day loop tomorrow, but I'll catch up on your progress when I'm done. Good op name, too.

Stay warm, stay safe, hang tough!
  20. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    In! :lurk

Operation sore butt! :pynd

I'm turning into a fair weather rider. :linzi Miss the WTH type of rides.