French Toast, bacon and $100 bucks

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Esteban, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    I have been threatening to have a DS bfast at my Golden Gate Canyon cabin for awhile now.

How does Sunday October 30th sound ?

I'll make my almond french toast and bacon on the campfire. Of course coffee too. Maybe somebody can bring some Tropicana OJ ??

I'm thinking like 9 AM to 11AM for the fixins.

Then I was wondering if anybody would feel like trying to make a fire without matches or lighters or magnesium or anything available after say 1850. You know... the old fashioned way. Maybe a knife, string, wood, strip of leather or... ? Rules to be arranged here by those in the running.

All in the contention would throw in $10 bucks and the first to make a fire keeps the pot.

I have never done it, but would love to see it done and $10 would be worth it. Any takers ??

Then around noon go for a DS ride in the area if weather allows or just kick back, which ever way the wind blows.

Who's in ?
  2. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    BTW, if you do not want to do the fire thing no problem, but tell me who is in so I know whether to do this or not and how much food to buy. The cabin is 15 minutes from Golden as most of you know.
  3. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    So, either you are all out riding (doubtful as the wx sux),
    you do not like french toast & bacon (hard to believe),
    I have finally pissed you all off for good (could be),
    my fire making challenge has scared you all off (spoilsports) ,
    or I am too impatient (most likely).

Anybody up for this ?
    Lemme know cause I am anxious to practice the fire thing and it I think it would be some good fun with some good folks.
  4. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    I'm in for the french toast.

No fire, no bacon.

Thanks.
  5. GS Spirit

GS Spirit Downsizing

Oddometer:
    I am on the fence dependant on the weather due to my location. As it gets closer I will know more. I would like to hear more about the fire rules.
  6. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    I'm in if I can make the time, and I won't know that untill thursday or friday. And yes, it was wonderfull riding up above central city today.....
  7. Dysco

Dysco Vaccinated nurse

Oddometer:
    I'd be game for the fire thing but Sunday morning is a no-go for me. I'd definitely up for the chalenge some other time, though.
  8. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    A lot of definite maybes here.

Rules:

Common sense if there is such a thing. Make fire with the bare minimum like a person in the year 1000 AD living in North America would.

NO magnifying glasses, Bic lighters, matches, magnesium, steel wool, refined chemicals, etc.

I think a steel knife, leather, string, flint, wood shavings, wood, natural rock, etc would be the name of the game. But hey, these are only my suggestions, we all make the rules.

Practice at home and come prepared if you like. I would like to be in and plan to be, but I will be at a disadvantage as host and main cook.
  9. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
  10. grofmon

grofmon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We used to have a competition with the old Black Power Rifle club. It was a team of 2 (usually husband and wife). One had to start a fire using flint and steel while the other mixed up pancake batter from scratch. The pancake had to be cooked over the fire, flipped at least one time. Then the one who lit the fire had to eat it. I have seen some times under one minute...

I need to check with the other half, but so far I'm in for fire and chow.
  11. BudLight

BudLight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve, this sounds like a good time. Throw on a few extra pieces of bacon and a couple pieces of French Toast for me. I'll think about how to make fire. I usually just use a 1/2 pint of gasoline and a pile of wood.

-Bud
  12. Ridin' Fool

Ridin' Fool Temporary Slacker

Oddometer:
    Count me in. If it doesn't snow I was just going to ride somewhere anyway, might as well ride north and see what you're all up to. Let me know what I can bring, Steve, and thanks. Mark A
  13. Wayneski

Wayneski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would love to make it, Steve, but I'll be in San Diego. Do you want me to drop off my last 1844 can of spray ether before I go?
  14. ColoradoV-Strom

ColoradoV-Strom HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

Oddometer:
    I'm in Steve.
    Is a Duraflame out of the question??

Mark
  15. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:

What is a duraflame ? Did they have them in North America 1000 years ago ?
  16. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    I'll try to come. I'll bring my kid if it aint too cold. :vardy

I am in for french toast coffee and bacon. I can bring some OJ. :deal

I'll be in on the fire thingy if I can use gas. Either way, somebody better get the damn thing started cuz it will be chilly...
  17. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    There will be a fire in the wood burning stove in the cabin and a big campfire burning out doors.

These fires do not depend on the "Fire Making Challenge" I proposed.

Come on you guys, who thinks they are smart enough to start a fire without modern conveniences ? Or are you all going to shiver in a dark corner when the world as we know it comes to an end ???!!!!!!!!
  18. Wings

Wings RockiesToSandbox

Oddometer:
    I'd love to join you for the gathering if I can find a ride :D
  19. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang, I'm not snowed in down here -- except with work, at the office, sure, but mostly at our brand new 1941-vintage home. So I can't come.

But it sure sounds great. And I've never done it, but I'd be in for the fire-making challenge. From the sounds of the competition, I'd be certain to walk away with my own ten dollars. :lol3 Sheesh, you guys, step up!! I can think of no better way to spend a Sunday morning. Well, maybe one way... :evil
  20. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:

As much shit as I give Texans, there are some very cool ones.

Just don't tell Arch I said that.