Fresh off TAT how I did it.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Thinwater, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You hear all kind of things on what to take, master link, ect. One thing I never read but was told by an experienced rider (ahem Klaviator), was ….... Left 8/15/2019, returned 9/11/2019 spending for two people; eats, stays, gas, a rear tire, luggage top rack welding repair. $3500. We could have camped more, done it cheaper as was. Spare tubes for each tire on each bike, never used them, never used the air up gear thankfully but I would take them again.
    Changed the oil in bikes twice, did 5700 ish miles, took oil filter for both so I didn't have to find them, especially the RE Himalayan.
    Made beef jerkey before we left by Traeger's recipe, it was fantastic. Also for eats; a small coleman mess kit with two cups a spoon and a pot that we used to make coffee, green tea, and oatmeal, rarely used the propane bottle mostly over campfire but did use it twice when no wood was available. Granola bars were kept stocked as we ran out (there is plenty of Dollar Stores scattered about) and we wore each a 1.5L hydropack (highly recommended). One sit down eat large meal was had most each day, it seemed to cost near $30 each time the two of us ate.
    We had three under clothes like the "cooler" wear and each a summer breathable safety over suit and each a winter over safety suit with liner. The plan was three days of underclothes and a Sunday set of clothes for Church, every third day we'd stay at a hotel and do laundry then camp two to three nights for economy. We didn't quite stick to that. Several times we did as planned, sometimes we stayed back to back hotel/motel it was just according to conditions and weariness of the day.
    We had spare rotopax 1gal gas and 1 gal water. Used the gas once, but never tapped into the water, but did empty the hydropaks twice.
    Check chain tension and lube chain every afternoon, if only using spray on dry lube, recommend lubing every morning, and again when you stop to eat lunch.
    We had a 4person cheap tent and self inflating 1" thick sleeping pads.
    Experienced 40 degree day to night swings, you need both warm and cold clothes.
    Didn't take the Oregon Leg but had it, didn't do the Shadow of the Rockies loop but had it, we were open to pick the route as we went. Skipped Oklahoma on the advice of Paul a rider from Belgium we met in the Ozarks, we skipped the Mountains from Delta UT up to Bonneville Salt Flats only because we heard it was bike week in Salt Flats and wanted to see it so skipped trail for hwy for speed not to miss the event. Bailed off trail at the end of UT and beginning of ID to go through Tetons and spend 3 days in Yellowstone, then went on following the trail through the black hills, then skipped to Worland WY for a tire, then skipped to Newcastle WY to re-pick up trail on to the end East side of South Dakota, then three full days ride back to The Heart of Dixie.
    Royal Enfield Himalayan 2018 4yrs experience 20 yrs ago, 1yr recent experience
    Honda CRF 250L 2014 Wife rider learned to ride 9/18
    Haven't waded through the pics and vids yet.
    OV10, Xchemie, mode12 and 13 others like this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    :clap

@klaviator

I see your moto wisdom is still alive and well man. :beer
    Thinwater and Amphib like this.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that my advice came in handy! I am really looking forward to hearing about your trip. Are you going to post a ride report?
  4. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't thought about a ride report, I had 4 micro SD cards worth of pics and vid that took forever to load onto my computer. I almost dread putting it together and editing it even for a self recap adventure video. It may be a while before I get through all that stuff to even be able to use it for a ride report. I've tried a lot smaller ride reports and the pics got removed I guess because they weren't linked in from somewhere like photobucket. I need educated on how to do ride reports I guess, you are well experienced in that also.
    When that cable broke I was going down a winding hill, there was that "oh something just happened bad, what was it" immediately followed by "that's the clutch cable!" immediately followed by "oh good, I got one of those". Klaviator saves the day.
    nk14zp likes this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    A ride report is a great way to save the memories of the trip, not just for others but also yourself. You will find that as time goes by your memories of the trip will get hazy. Doing a ride report will not only organize your pics and videos but will help preserve your memories of the trip.

I'll be glad to help you with it. I have done plenty of ride reports but I don't have any experience with editing or posting videos.
    Grinnin likes this.
  6. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What method do you use to get your pictures in posts?
    klaviator likes this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I use SmugMug but ADV allows direct posting. I think there is a limit for direct posting if you are not a supporter but don't know the details.

SmugMug costs around $45 per year but it's worth it to me. Of course I post thousands of pictures. For you direct posting might be good enough.
  8. vstrom316

vstrom316 n00b

Oddometer:
    looking on doing a tat loop next year and just started putting info together. we will hit tat from Ky. and follow west to CO. follow shadow on the Rockies and follow the northern part of the tat back east. this sounds like what you guys did. did you used sams routes and how was the northern sections? not a whole lot of info about that area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  9. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We did use Sams Maps, but didn't follow them in Wyoming where we were cutting straight across from Yellowstone to get a tire in Worland, then onto Newcastle where Sams tracks enters South Dakota ran the track in South Dakota. I appreciate the work Sam did, in some areas where it is open farm land the roads are laid out in square grid with the State Highways angling to connect big cities. I found that some places the route would follow along the State Highway running zig zag on the grid just burning up time to say you weren't on pavement. So zoom out on the map and get an idea of where you are going before blasting off each leg, sometimes there is no good reason to be off the pavement, because there is nothing there to see or experience. Save time to spend in the good stuff. This isn't a constant issue, but between SD badlands and Sioux Falls SD there was some of that for a while, AR and OK also. I found a Gem while off Sam's tracks in Wyoming 33mile rd and Wild Horse Rd off of it traveling East to Worland Wy. One of my favorite parts of the entire trip.
  10. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got all the pics and vids renamed this past weekend with the date and trip leg in the file name. The camera default naming convention had stuff ALL jumbled up, and one of the cameras picked a random reset date every time the battery was replaced. Tons of work!
    nk14zp likes this.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    What trip of Sam's were you following that took you to South Dakota and Wyoming?

That does not sound like the TAT to me. But I haven't checked out all his rides for several years.
  12. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The TAT, Oregon was an optional leg, the main route as when I got it hooked around.
    wbbnm likes this.
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I still didn't understand so I got off my butt and checked Sam's site. I was pretty shocked at what the TAT has morphed into since we rode it in 2008 and 2009.

That's really interesting that Oregon is now optional and the TAT loops back east to Sioux Falls SD.

How were the dirt roads thru the Badlands. It has looked to be mainly pavement to me from maps.

I agree about feeling foolish doing a lot of jinking around just to say you were on dirt roads. We cut out a lot of those sections back when.
  14. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The dirt roads through the Badlands were well maintained gravel.
  15. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ride report started, it wont measure up to the professionalism of yours but here is a link to it. There is more to come.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/tat-2019-couple-trip.1418566/