Friday Funday Morning Rides Around Georgia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by fastring, Aug 24, 2018.

1. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is where I'll document my "Friday Funday" rides around Georgia.

Why the ride(s): With life changes, the "routine" for where, how and frequency of motorcycle rides also changes. Rather than be frumpy and not ride, I am embracing the change and riding when I can given what I've been presented at the moment. Right now, I have very little "free" time to do grand adventures, its not a priority, so I am going to thrive with these short rides.

What: Instead of working out on Friday mornings, I am going riding. Leaving my house outside rural suburban Atlanta area at 5:30am, instead of heading to gym and then work, I head for a ride and then to work!

Types of rides: Mostly road rides but hoping to get a dual sport again in the near future (life changes...) and do some light trail riding. Roadsideamerica.com and Georgia state parks is my current idea generator tools!
    black 8 likes this.
  2. fastring

Oddometer:
    Friday Funday Ride #1: 17AUG18

Blessed with some good weather so that I dont have to postpone the first ride! The trigger for todays ride was getting the bike back together. A 1999 K1200RS, that had a failed front coilover shock. Not knowing if I was going to keep the bike longterm and not having much disposable $ for moto projects, I ebayed a used $19 shock. Usually, I would have gone new given the labor to install, but as part of the life changes lets roll with it mentality, I went forward with the fix.

Two hours to tear down and get old shock out and another hour to get it back together and its "good".

20180805_133547 (Large).jpg

For the ride, destination is "Watson Mill Bridge State Park". Leveraging my annual GA State parks pass, I did a quick packing list and was ready to go. 5:30, rolled out for my "adventure" with crisp air, good tunes in the helmet and complete darkness on the road. Using google maps "avoid highways" mode, I learned new sideroads in this relatively new to me area.

The bridge is one of a few (20ish) remaining covered bridges in GA and the longest of those.

20180817_065804 (Large).jpg

Parked and setup my stove to cook some oatmeal and drink my small thermos of coffee. My cooking and thermos tools are the same that I've used on longer trips and provide some good memories. Drinking from that thermos makes me feel I'm on day 1 of a multi-day adventure and not just "about to go to work". Works for me, made for a very pleasant breakfast.

20180817_065602_resized.jpg

The side cases have fallen apart, they have wear areas where the tire rubbed through, the plastic that holds them in the front is gone and last trip..one lock broke and wont open. Leveraging "the dog coffin" instead which isnt the best looking case for this bike but it holds lots of stuff (52l?) and required no additional farkel budget.

20180817_070423 (Large).jpg

On departure, went through downtown Athens on the way to work. School must have started, the streets were busy with college kids walking to class and the town had a "happy vibe" to it.

My spirits were high throughout the day, I'm thinking this is a good idea.
  3. fastring

Oddometer:
    Friday Funday Ride #2: 24AUG18

Woah! Two Fridays in a row where its not 100+ deg and not raining! Yeah! Using roadsideamerica, I learned "Georgia Guideposts" was within my range for this sort of ride. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Departing at 5:30am again, google somehow rerouted me off the sideroads but still provided an interesting ride. Most of the ride north east of Athens, GA was new for me and was a good snapshot of rural America.

20180824_071351 - Copy.jpg

One of the many things I enjoy of this new ride idea is sunrise. Mon-Thurs I exercise, either swimming at an indoor pool or a walk near my office. When I walk, I enjoy a nice sunrise view, usually as I walk over a bridge crossing a major freeway. Despite the urban setting, the feeling of being outdoors, exercising and viewing the sunrise is very...resetting for me. I have faith in God and despite the usual troubles of faith in anything, the Creation has been a solid reminder for me that there is a Creator and He is good. Sunrise and sunset are part of my internal clock that when I take the time to do nothing but view them, reset my internal clock to back on focus.

The sun was already up when I arrived at the guidestones but the light on the stone was in a great spot. Enjoyed my coffee, fresh grind Sams brand organic Sumatra, sans oatmeal at the location. The stones are in a field that is part of a privately owned farm right off the road. The place smelled like urine, there are lights and cameras for all angles of the stones but I got the idea this was a popular pee stop?

20180824_071530 (Large).jpg

As for the stones, I'll let you read up on them and come up with a conclusion. I was underwhelmed with the implementation and given $50k in 1980 dollars to do something, I would have done it differently but was appreciative of the weird destination with lovely motorcycle roads on the way.

Returning to work, I decided on I-85. While I enjoy the sideroads, I also enjoy slabbing at speed on the freeway. A full day of I-20 for 1000 miles is a fantastic day in my book, but I understand that it wouldnt be for everybody. The K1200RS is at home at 80mph on the freeway, that is what it does well and we both seemed pleased on the ride back to the office.
    edgeoftheworld likes this.
  4. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. ADK

ADK .........................

Oddometer:
  6. fastring

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the resources @ADK and @Fireman1000 , I will check those out!

Friday Funday Ride #3: 31AUG18

Destination: Victoria Bryant State Park by way of Watson Mill State Park

Left at 5:30, had to clean up some unfinished project debris on/near the bike from last weekend. I had a goal of getting some sidecase solution moving forward but didnt get time to get very far.

Great weather, closed the vents in my riding suit and went through the back way to Watson Mill SP via Good Hope. When I first moved out there, around 2 years ago, I stayed for my first month in Good Hope. Randomly, there was an old 1800s cabin that was fixed up with a detached, fenced dog run that I was able to rent for a month. This allowed me time to figure out the area and a place for my dogs when I was at work. Finding a place for animals that dont do well locked inside for 10hrs a day is a problem and this Air BnB cabin was perfect. Good memories of my time at the cabin.

Didnt stop at Watson Mill SP, just rode on through the bridge and kept moving. Furthest I've been in that direction so kept on through the unknown.
    20180831_070345.jpg
    Stopped to take a look at the train loading/unloading area. My grandfather was a train engineer for ... oh boy I forgot... but one of the train companies (not CSX) and I grew up listening to his stories passed down through my mom's interpretation. At that time, I received the stories as his trips sounded very adventurous and have always stopped to look at trains when given the opportunity.

20180831_070354.jpg

Here's the bike bike in a picture, which is just "ahead" of the last picture with the trains. Nice time of morning, I was really wanting to stop longer and drink my thermos of coffee but decided to enjoy that at the new (to me) state park instead.

20180831_075300.jpg

No one at the front gate but I stopped and put my annual friends of GA state parks parking pass in the map portion of my tank bag anyhow. Explored the park on the moto for a few minutes and decided to stop here. This was a day use sort of area for picnicking near Rice Creek. I keep a standard clothing zip bag of supplies that includes stove, lighter, fuel, old oatmeal, and dry coffee in case I need to make more..oh and half of a spork.

Enjoyed some hot oatmeal and the coffee that I had made this morning at home in the thermos.

20180831_075328.jpg

Nice park! Much more to explore and some nice road to get there, will keep it on my list of options. On the way to work, I filled up for fuel, got just over 40mpg and headed south for a little over an hour on I-85 at appropriate speeds.

Enjoyed the bike, I have a long trip coming up and that usually gets my look at bikes juices flowing as this was supposed to be a temporary solution but its been working nicely. Now to work on some pannier repair/customization before the longer trip next month.
  7. fastring

Oddometer:
    Friday Funday Ride #4: 7SEP18

Destination: Center of the world monument
    REF: https://www.exploregeorgia.org/hart...tes-trails-tours/center-of-the-world-monument

Normal early start and headed towards the "Center of the World" monument. On the way, I had two interesting stops.

Stop 1. Headed out of my small town, I was more or less cut off by two HVAC contractor vans that were in a hurry and entered the road in front of me at a high rate of speed. The first was fine, it was his buddy that wanted to keep up that cut me off. In doing so, he lost a milwaulkee cordless impact wrench that flew more or less at me. It was pre-sunrise, so I had a vision of something approaching and then bouncing in front of me that I was able to swerve around. A bit shaken, I pulled over and decided to go back and take a look. The tool works, so I put it in my top case and its on ebay! Yeah!

Stop 2. Riding through Royston, I noticed a Ty Cobb statue in front of the library and decided to stop for a photo. The director of the Ty Cobb museum was getting coffee across the street and walked over to chat while I was taking the photo. Ended up opening my thermos and drinking coffee while getting a personal history of Ty Cobb and Royston from the subject matter expert! What a cool encounter that was. Due to the time, I didnt keep going to the monument but headed to work feeling a bit more connected with the local area. 20180907_071410.jpg

The short history is that this was made in the 1970s by <a famous dude> and was setup where the Braves use to play, then moved to where the braves use to play but then to here after the braves didnt want it at the new stadium. Lots more info, but I recommend you stop at the museum for the details!
  8. rascalman

rascalman GhostRider, the clock is ticking

Oddometer:
    Following. You are riding the area where my ancestors are from. Looking forward to your future adventures.
  9. fastring

Oddometer:
    Friday Funday Ride #5: 8NOV19

Destination: Paul Anderson Memorial Park in Toccoa, GA

Story between the story: It has been a year between "fun" rides and a change in bikes. The 'temporary' solution that the K1200RS represented went longer than originally planned but I've since purchase a 2014 Super Tenere...and a year has gone by. The "build thread" is here, its more of a bolt on thread, but you get the idea. I am not exactly sure what made me lose momentum on these Friday rides but I'm excited to get these back into the plan.

I was up early and departed the greater Monroe, GA area at 5:30am and headed to Toccoa, GA which is in the lovely northern GA mountains. The destination was the Paul Anderson Memorial Park and I encourage everyone to read more about Paul here. What an inspiration he is at many levels, to think I hadnt heard of this man until yesterday when picking somewhat random Roadside America destinations for the ride is a bummer. I wonder how many other outstanding lives have lived that I havent even heard a peep about but despite having no interest at all, I've heard of the Kardashians...

motopark.jpg

Here's the S10 in its daily driver, winter version. Just did the "winter" change last week which consists of raising the stock windscreen from low to high and adding the hand muffs and windblocks. This is my daily commuter and currently, only motorcycle, so it needs to be versatile and carry stuff and me efficiently and in some level of comfort for all 4 seasons.

statue.jpg

This is the status in the small park for Paul. I didnt take a photo of the plaque that is located near the park entrance where I parked. This plaque summarized how this somewhat recent park came to be, it was from kids researching local heroes. Paul was known for his weightlifting but his love for God and children is his legacy, which the park did a great job sharing. The political correctness movement has moved the spiritual out of the story in the name of "separation of Church and State". I could go on about this topic at length, but at least one result is removing facts from actual history. Having recently (3.5 years) relocated out of California to Georgia, I've come to enjoy actual history again. History that includes topics that "PC" folks have come to remove in other parts of the "free" land. Paul's devotion to God was in full display in the park, from words around the base of the fountain to the Christian flag and mention of his devotion in many plaques located in the park.
  10. fastring

Oddometer:
    These plaques dont appear in quick google searches, so if you want to know more about this park:
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg summary.jpg
    MarkVeeMarkADV, B10Dave and rascalman like this.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I found it very interesting.
    fastring likes this.