Fried my GPS.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Trevor S, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Trevor S

Trevor S Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer:
    On a recent 3 day ride, it looks like I fried my GPS. In particular the last day was VERY hot (when it happened) The GPS screen simpily went off. After gtting it examined by a local rider who is an electronics tech. he seems to think I have "cooked" something.

I have the GPS (Etrex Summit) mounted in a RAM holder on the bar behind the windscreen, (about where the fuel gauge is) on the BMW 1150 GS-A. I did have my IPAQ 3970 hooked up to the GPS and laying in the bar pack but it was so hot I could not touch the metal of the PDA, so I disconnected the PDA and put it in the panniers.

The GPS is a couple years old and well out of warranty. I think I will have it repaced (GME the local Garmin Importer swap them for a few $100) There is no use updating to a mapping Garmin as there is no decent mapping for Aus availble for Garmin. The other option is a Magellan Meridian, as the local mapping with them is superb.

I will try mounting it in the wind next time (up near the headlight switch maybe), to allow it to get some "air cooling" When I took it out of it's mount it was very hot to the touch. Or maybe stop riding when it is so damn hot...

I still want to try a RAM Mount and my PDA (which has been successfully tried in my bar pack) but not when it is as hot as it is now. I might have to try to shield it some how with a housing but it still needs to get a signal and does not have the option for an external antenna.
  2. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the problem. It's interesting that the Etrex apparently can't handle the heat, given that it's intended for outdoor hiking use. Do the instructions come with any cautions?
  3. Tugrik

Tugrik Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure heat is what killed it? Sounds like it could have also been vibration. If you do a lot of the 'rough stuff' I thought there were ways/companies that would 'harden' a Garmin for you to avoid that problem?
  4. Trevor S

Trevor S Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer:
    I would normally have agreed with you guys except for:

1. It was 40 degrees (Celcius), or so when it happened

2. The tech that had a quick look said there was nothing wrong with the circut board that he could see, nothing had come loose etc. He seemed to think it was the interface between the screen and the board that had been "fried" or the screen itself.

3. It was on a bitumen section that it happened.

4. Rough is subjective. This thing has been mounted on my Husky 610 E and used in severe off road conditions and not batted an eyelid.

5. The thing was so hot I could barely hold it without gloves, I figured the blazing sun was what did it. Being behind the screen and not getting any cooling from a direct airflow did not help.

6. I could be wrong of course, as this is all guess work :) We had a backup Etrex loaded with all the tracks and waypoints we needed, so we just plugged that in the next day and headed off :)
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I agree with Trevor. It could have been heat, since the LCD display is what failed. Shock? Unlikely, as it's designed to handle 6g's. The Etrex isn't designed to be cooked, I betcha. What are the temp specs?

Temperature range: 5°F to 158°F (-15°C to 70°C)

Hmmm. :scratch

The good news is that Garmins don't fail very often, regardless of root cause.

Sounds like a nice ride, tho! :1drink