"Friendly" bike for a new (female) DS rider

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by smm, Apr 6, 2011.

1. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife has an '09 XT 250 which she's ridden to and across Death Valley....we're leaving again next Friday. The last trip to DV resulted in nearly 900 miles on a weekend....including highway miles.

70+ mpg and 60 + mph on I-10 and US 395.

It's light, nimble and non threatening. She likes it and can handle it with ease.
  2. aim2kill

aim2kill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    her height?
    mine has an 08 xt250, she's 5'7"
  3. ADVBedouin

ADVBedouin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also strongly suggest the Yamaha XT250 ('09-'11), or Kawi KLX250sf as it's they're a perfect beginner bike that will go anywhere. With some minor carb jetting, & perhaps a slip-on exhaust (if necessary), they'd cruise 70mph no problem. I wouldn't recommend the Yamaha XT225 as I found it to be pretty slow, & could barely power it through a stiff headwind.

[​IMG]

If/when she grows out of this, or consider it as a first bike, I'd then say '97-'11 Suzuki DR650 with some easy mods; Factory lowering of the fork & shock, Sargent 'low' seat, Laminar or cbaily's windscreen, & you have an easily lowered & light weight all-round bike. My gal learned on a DRZ400s & did just fine (never dumped it), but I wish I'd had a lowered DR650 for her then.
    [​IMG]

Here's a lowered one;
    [​IMG]
  4. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all about the accessories.

[​IMG]
  5. Dotbond

Dotbond Africa, Africa

Oddometer:
    Well there's not much point in suggesting a tall bike if your wife is on the short side.
  6. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    At 5'6" she's not too bad off. But as a beginner she might prefer a shorter bike even though she could theoretically "handle" a larger one. I started out on a lowered KTM 525. It was horrible, i dropped it all the time and hated it.. Went to an XT225 and loved that little bike. Wouldn't trade that experience for the world!

Read and show her this thread.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669666
  7. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :norton You were right on with the WR250X.
  8. smm

smm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just in case anyone was curious. Now with a few hundred miles on it, she really loves the bike.
  9. ping

ping Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For your wife, I would recommend Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250cc, or Yamaha XT 250. Change the tire to a more street friendly tire 80/20 like the avon distancia.
  10. Brage

Brage Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Congrats, to you both. seems like the future is secured, ready for 23 more years. :rickyTruly a love builder..

Best regards Brage
  11. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great choice that you will not soon outgrow. The 650 single will run with anything and go just about anywhere. Amazing how smooth at highway speeds too.