Friends in Low Places - Death Valley 2012

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Humunn, Mar 10, 2012.

1. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed watching your Spot. :D Looked like you were trucking!

Looking forward to the pics and commentary!
  2. Harp_63

Harp_63 Just Ride

Oddometer:
    12 hours are Munn hours... Munn hours are like Munn miles always substantially less than actual. (More on that later)

Lucky for us my pickup trip meter keeps track of the travel time along with a few other items. 1750 miles round trip, 33hrs/35min total time, 12.5mpg (towing 12' enclosed trailer). Garmin GPS said Max speed was 83mph, must have been when I was passing that truck up the hill and wanted to show that guy on my ass the power the Ford 3.5 ECO boost motor has... Needless to say he didn't attempt to follow on the pass.
  3. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    The original plan was for Darrin and Robin to stay the night at my place on Tuesday night and get a fresh start for the drive on Wednesday morning. Darrin suggested why wait until Wednesday morning? Maybe we can get a ride in Wednesday afternoon. Couldn’t argue with the logic.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Packing the gypsy wagon. We leave Prineville at 1045 pm.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    On the road 8 or so hours later somewhere south of Susanville. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Carson</st1:place></st1:City>, I think.<o:p></o:p>
    Coffee didn’t help.<o:p></o:p>
    We arrive at Panamint Springs around 3 the next afternoon and set up camp. Don, Dale and <st1:personName w:st="on">Dan</st1:personName> are a not too far behind us.<o:p></o:p>
    Robin wrenches while Darrin supervises with a bottle in his hand.<o:p></o:p>
    Been a long day and a half so we hit the rack early. Big day tomorrow.<o:p></o:p>
    More…<o:p></o:p>
  4. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Day 1.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    We agree to set the alarm for 5 and have kickstands up by 7. The plan was for 206 miles. None of us remembered to bring coffee cups so we fashioned them out of emp<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> water bottles. The tops we cut off came in handy too…more on that later.<o:p></o:p>
    Plan is to make a big loop to the north over Lippencott, Race Track, Ubehebe and back down through Saline returning to P Springs.<o:p></o:p>
    The three Ds arrive from the motel across the street and are ready.<o:p></o:p>
    We finally get our act together.<o:p></o:p>
    I forgot to load the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">California</st1:place></st1:State> base map onto my gps so all I had was a route to follow; no roads or topo lines! This sort of led to the first incident. Trying to find the route I climb up and over an eroded section of a 4 foot step up and ride a few hundred yards until I discover I am not on the route. I turn around to head back to see Darrin out on the pavement where a depu<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> sheriff stopped him. Not paying a terrible amount of attention but thinking I am doubling back on my tracks I realize once it is too late that I am a couple feet to the right of the eroded section of the step up and I am putting in low gear. By the time I realize my situation the front wheel is rolling over the edge followed closely by the monster 6 gallon tank full of fuel. Too late to roll the throttle and loft the front end the bike drops straight down on the front wheel and pogos the back end up and over, jettisoning me over the bars with the back end of the bike not too far behind. <o:p></o:p>
    Fortunately there was no damage as we were not even a mile out of camp but this all happened right in front of the depu<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName>. I still wonder what he was thinking.<o:p></o:p>
    All Darrin said was that he wished he had is GoPro on!<o:p></o:p>
    Regaining my composure we motor on.<o:p></o:p>
    Heading north up the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Saline</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place> toward Lippencott we stop for a pic.<o:p></o:p>
    And further up Lippencott.<o:p></o:p>
    The Lippencott road is a nas<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> rip rap mess. It’s here I discover I’ve punctured my front tire. Fortunately, running the Tubliss system, the repair takes all of 2 minutes!<o:p></o:p>
    At the top of Lippencott.<o:p></o:p>
    North of Lippencott here’s Don in all his orange.<o:p></o:p>
    Next stop the Race Track…<o:p></o:p>
  5. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prineville noob in the Valley of Death! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  6. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    EXACTLY what the deputy must have thought! :lol3
  7. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    Damn that looks like a good time.:wings
    :lurk
  8. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:

Oh, it was!

Ready to go again!!!
  9. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    On to the Race Track.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    This was interesting.<o:p></o:p>
    According to the info, the rocks move due to an extremely high wind pushing the rocks over the wet/frozen lake bed. Hard to imagine though as these rocks were heavy!<o:p></o:p>
    Tried for a s<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName>lish artsy group pic here.<o:p></o:p>
    Leaving the Race Track heading north to Ubehebe Crater. <o:p></o:p>
    In search of a mine. Race Track in the distance.<o:p></o:p>
    We are heading in this direction.<o:p></o:p>
    At the intersection to the paved road to Ubehebe looking back.<o:p></o:p>
    The crater.<o:p></o:p>
    In video.<o:p></o:p>
    Lots of miles left to go!<o:p></o:p>
    On to high speed on way to Crankshaft Crossing. Time to stretch the legs on the 6 speed. We are roughly at the top of the loop (furthest point north) for the day. Will be turning south heading for Saline <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">hot springs</st1:place></st1:City> soon.<o:p></o:p>
    Crankshaft Crossing.<o:p></o:p>
    Further down the road we stop at an abandoned mine.<o:p></o:p>
    Darrin and I take a look see.<o:p></o:p>
    Lazy bastages.<o:p></o:p>
    Inside the kiln or whatever the correct term is for this large cooking device.<o:p></o:p>
    Head back to see the girls who have been busy exchanging recipes.<o:p></o:p>
    Further down the road we stop at these massive Eureka Dunes.<o:p></o:p>
    Artsy.<o:p></o:p>
    Thought I&#8217;d capture a shot of the bikes and the dunes here. Found out we were only looking at the end of the dunes and that once you round the corner just ahead you see their broadside&#8230;massive! Did not get a pic. Too busy paying attention to the rutted out talcum powder death traps.<o:p></o:p>
    Shortly after the wide open dune the landscape narrows into the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Dedeckera</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Canyon</st1:placeType></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
    Next up, the <st1:placeName w:st="on">Saline</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType> <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">hot springs</st1:place></st1:City>&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
  10. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #103 Supporter

Oddometer:
    :1drink

Oh, be still my beating heart! Fond memories of that place, only 12 more months and I'll be soaking in those waters and reflecting on life once again.. :deal
  11. Harp_63

Harp_63 Just Ride

Oddometer:
    Just so you know all doesn't go well even with a lot of maintenance and planning I thought I would share of few of the issues we had before heading out on the Saline Valley ride.

Dan and the old trusty Yamaha unloaded from the trailer and fired right up... sputtered and then dies. We decide to take it down and top off before leaving in the morning. We still can't get her to fire so we decide to pop-start the old gal down hill to the gas station. A couple of little pops and noises like she will run but nothing... The campers are having cigars and beer but once we get to the station the old Yami still will not run. We keep pushing down hill until I finally have to go get the pickup to hall it back... Luckily I talked Dan into buying a spare plug, we replaced it and the old Yamaha was fired on the 2nd kick.

Once we were 20 miles from Panamint I noticed the back brake getting a little soft on the KTM. Now I treat this bike like a baby once it is off the trail and it gets a lot of TLC. I notice brake fluid leaking out near the master cylinder and it is not obvious what is leaking. I had replace the rear light pressure sensor lately. By 25 miles all the fluid was gone and I was front brake only for the next 200 miles and we hadn't entered Lippincutt canyon yet. It was a little challenging at times without the rear brake but all was OK until Robin decided to climb a steep dead-end trail and we all followed. Once to the top he did say "I'm surprised you came up that without a back break to go back down" :asshat , Of course I was just following the leader. Well I made it down and decided I would pay more attention to the route deviations in the future.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

You should see me force an 1150 up that. :evil

Glad you dudes made it down there!!! :clap:clap

:freaky
  13. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:

An 1150? Way macho! I was thinking I would prefer a 150 or something! :D
  14. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Saline Valley Hot Springs

We had heard stories about the hot springs…everything from it was a really secluded oasis to a hippie freak nudie show so we weren’t quite sure what we’d find.

Turns out there are three hot springs: upper, middle and lower. Upper is basically a hole in the ground with a chain link fence surrounding a much larger area that is full of vegetation. We did not know this was the upper at first, thought it WAS the infamous hot springs. We moved on to middle.

Middle was slightly more developed but not what I recalled from the pics I had seen on the web. Nicely organized but small. The pool had four or so folks in it and an old dude getting nekked and ready to jump in. That viz and tight quarters we opted to move on. :eek1

Lower pool is the original and is set up very jungle feeling (although in a small area) and you can camp there. An oasis in the desert. Neat spot. We walked through and took some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to laugh at this one. I’ve never seen a “no drums” posting. Surprised it didn’t say “no bongos” or “no singing we are the world”. Only in a hippie freak commune!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We talked Dale into posing for this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The source.

[​IMG]

Thought we’d take a soak but Dale’s rear brake was having issues and we wanted time to deal with that plus we didn’t think we would mix well with the “couples” in the pools. :ymca:ymca

UP NEXT…time on my hands.

15. JDRobin

JDRobin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my bad. But after that I had no doubts you could ride anything out there better than me even without a rear brake.
  16. JDRobin

JDRobin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bust shins on tailgate and almost drop bike off ramp loading bike alone when my trusty stool flies under truck. Leave work and race to Darrin's...discover I forgot glasses :baldy and go to my house to pick them up. Finally leave town at 730 PM. Coast into Warm Springs on fumes because every gas station past Sandy was closed. :deal Pickup Greg and most of his worldly belongings at 1030. :huh Drive all night in snow and slush. Coast into Susanville about sunrise, on fumes AGAIN! :doh Role into Panamint and set up camp mid day. Finally notice and replace shifter that got broke when I busted my shins earlier. Drink heavily :dutchand offer advise to Dale and Dan on fixing old blue, :hmmmmm nothing actually helpful though. Sleep well for about an hour until woken by crazy maniac Darrin slapping my face and yelling "someone's out there". :eek1 Lay in rack for three hours trying to sleep. Wake up and get ready. Miss out on the Greg endo (I tried to tell him where the road was :rofl). 200 or so miles of great riding and amazing scenery :super until Darrin hits reserve on fuel while Greg has ridden off into the sunset. :dizave Many stops sharing fuel from me and Dale and we all finally make it back to pavement...where Greg has apparently been doing his nails while waiting for us. Drink many beers :1drink, consume the worst pizza of my life :puke1, and repeat multiple thanks to Dale and Don for carrying extra fuel, which being a slow learner, I did not. :mulie Watch Darrin turn green :arg having a smoke and hit the rack praying I don't get slapped awake again. :snore
  17. BigHo

BigHo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In hindsight we should have stashed extra fuel about 20 miles from Panamint up the Saline Valley road. Man, that would have worked out perfect. Oh well live and learn. I guess Dale, Dan and I are just lucky we got exceptional fuel milage on this trip. :wink:
  18. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #103 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer, you guys missed out on the absolute best part of the entire DV experience :deal. Not only is the soaking great, but the company is excellent as well. Take your clothes off, open your mind, and watch the world slow down to a much simpler pace. Say HI to the pet coyote and the wild burros, buy some gas from Lizard Lee (you pay whatever it's worth to you - I gave him $10/gal), and leave it a bit better than you found it.

I will go back just for the hot springs :freaky.
  19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:

Now that is well written, and funny!
  20. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    I think it could have been but it was getting late in the day and the boys were somewhat anxious to fix Dale's brake (he rides just fine without it) and some strange concern about riding at night. I don't know where that comes from! :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]