Friends of South America

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Robson Jaborá/SC, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Erik the swede

Erik the swede Slacker

Oddometer:
    You might as well get a used DR 650,
    Like this one:
    http://www.webmotors.com.br/webmotors/motos/usadas/suzuki-dr-650-re/89774/detalhe.wm

Im also planning a little trip with a friend,
    Would be good if it coincided with the meeting :)
    [​IMG]
  2. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    I've had a lot of 2 stroke dirt bikes. When I was 15 I got my first street bike. A Suzuki 350, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke. Great bike and lots of fun. Also had a Yamaha RD350 & 400, Suzuki GT380 (3 cylinder) and of course the Kawasaki H1 500. The sound of a two cylinder 2 stroke is like music to me. Mix in a little burned injector oil and I am a happy camper. Almost as good as a beer and a cheap cigar. :rofl

Cheers,

Mike
  3. Erik the swede

Erik the swede Slacker

Oddometer:
    I´m thinking of buying a US registred motorcycle in colombia or venezuela, to use in brazil.

You can get a DR650 or a KLR 2003-2006 for around 3500usd there.

The experience i have is that when the police stops you, you just need proof that its yours. And i use my swedish license, when i get stopped.
    Never been a problem.

I know that i cant sell it.
    Does anyone know if it would work or do they check foreign bikes more rigorously?
  4. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    From what I have read you will get a 90 day permit at customs when you bring it in and you can renew it for another 90 days. Kind of like the tourist visa.

The police do have random check points they call a blitz. I have always been waved through driving a suv. My local friends tell me the police here do not stop people in nice new vehicles and bigger motorcycles. They target the little 150 cc bikes and older cars as they seem to think they are more likely to not have the proper paper work.

I noticed that your route does not go into Paraguay at all. Are there problems there you are avoiding or is that just the roads you want to ride?

Cheers,

Mike
  5. Erik the swede

Erik the swede Slacker

Oddometer:
    Yeah i know that, been pulled over a couple of times anyway, but they have always been friendly :)

Question is what do they do if you overstay, and who will check it?

Not avoiding, that was the route suggested by the map program, i just put in the places i wanted to go to. Thinking of changing it though:

[​IMG]
  6. Robson Jaborá/SC

Robson Jaborá/SC Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer:
    Erick!
    When and where will start your trip in South America?
  7. Erik the swede

Erik the swede Slacker

Oddometer:
    Havent decided yet, depends on how long i can wait.

My friend wants to wait until august-september, when it gets warmer there.

But i would like to go in may.
  8. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    I never believed my wife when she told me it gets cold in Brazil.....but last winter in July and August in Santa Caterina it got down to 10C regularly and even 3-4C a couple of times. That may not be cold for you and your friend but it sure puts a chill into my bones. :rofl

I think you have a great route planned and wish you an enjoyable trip but I would really think about the temp. you are comfortable riding in. Those are some cold months here as I am sure you know....

Cheers,

Mike
  9. Erik the swede

Erik the swede Slacker

Oddometer:
    My friend is baiano so everything below 25c is cold for him :D

For me, no problem, it´s -19 here right now so i´m used to the cold :)
  10. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:

So when it is 10C here and I am inside next to the fireplace.....it is easily warm enough for you to be out riding. :clap :clap
  11. hdelamerced

hdelamerced Gaucho

Oddometer:
    Hola amigos, desde Tucumán (norte de Argentina)!!!!
    Los espero cuando quieran, tenemos EXCELENTES lugares para recorrer. :freaky
    Saludos!

Hi, from Tucumán, north of Argentina!
    You are welcome, whenever you want. There are fantastic places to visit on a motorcycle!!!!

(sorry my poor english...) :shog
  12. kaiserkyhl

kaiserkyhl The journey is the reward!

Oddometer:
    Hi Erik

I have two KLR´s parked here at my storage that a Danish couple left. All paper work is in order and they still have 2,5 month left on the import permit in Colombia. The Price is 3000 and 3400. Both with many extras. As they are registered in California the ownership change can be done by mail and all you need to go legal is to get someone to receive the papers on an address in California and have them send to you.

You can see more here: http://motolombia.wordpress.com/sale/
  13. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hola amigo motero,

Bienvenido al foro! No, no ese tipo de foro, foro :rofl

Un dia de estos andare por sus pagos!!!!!

Salu,

Gian
  14. Bamaboy

Bamaboy High Plains Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey, does anyone know if it is possible for me to bring my 2004 V-Strom 1000 to Brazil and keep it here? I have it stored in Oklahoma City, OK. I have heard that it is against the law to import a used motorcycle to Brasil. Não existe um jeitinho? (dar um jeito) Maybe bring it through Uruguay or Argentina?
  15. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    I thought there must be a way to get a motorcycle cheaper here. But after looking around I found out it is next to imposable and can end up costing more money and a whole lot of time, paper work and hassle.

We have to contribute to the mandatory wealth redistribution program anytime we buy consumer goods here. Especially cars and motorcycles. No way to import it directly unless it is over 25 years old. Brand new vehicles may be imported but will be subject to the VAT and the customs agents determine the value that it is taxed at. So if you have an uncle who is in the right position at customs, who happens to get your import....you may get a break.

When you drive a bike in you get a 90 day permit (just like the tourist visa) that can be renewed for 90 days then you must leave. That may work for a while but I think there are problems over time with constantly returning.

You can find more info here: http://www.gringoes.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2553&KW=import

Cheers,

Mike
  16. Erik the swede

Erik the swede Slacker

Oddometer:
    Very interesting, what i want to know though is, what happens when i overstay with the bike in brazil and ride around with foreign plates.

If and how they can catch you.

30 years actually :)

http://www.wtimport.com/

http://www.aroana.com.br/modules/mastop_publish/?tac=Importacao_de_Veiculos
  17. Bamaboy

Bamaboy High Plains Rider

Oddometer:
    That is what I was afraid of. :cry

You said it Brother!

People might generate the economy more if the government did not take from those who had. That would take the power from the government and give it to the people. We would not want that to happen. :huh
  18. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    My friend and I are riding south from USA to Argentina. We're currently in Colombia. We'd love to meet up with folks along the way. Drop us a line if we're in your area. Here's the blog address: http://www.AFewMoreMiles.com
    Cheers,
    -Ben
  19. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
  20. kaiserkyhl

kaiserkyhl The journey is the reward!

Oddometer:
    I don´t know anything about Brazil. But what would stop you from driving to the border before permit runs out and renew it? Most countries you can come and go as you please, as long as the permit has not expired. In Colombia you can stay up to 6 month per calender year with a temporary import permit.