Friends

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Mugwest, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Yea verily. Normandy Beach, summer 2017.
    A40A986B-B5FD-4DBB-BF43-872838E65496.jpeg
    Viva la France
    Viva la Amerique
    VIVA LA LIBERTAD!
    Buzztail likes this.
  2. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Like several of us of a certain generation, i came of age with Sam Fuller's The Big Red One being the default movie understanding of D-Day landings. But i think Spielberg got closer to Reality with the Private Ryan film. I know he went for accurate sonic details like the incredible rate of fire of the MG42 ("Hitler's Zipper"; check out YT vids of that thing running through a belt and the sound it made to appreciate what you might have heard 75 years ago as the ramp dropped)

We won't see Balls like Overlord again.
  3. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ No we won't... I hope...
    Alas we seem to be doomed to repeat history as some want to erase it by removing statues and memorials.....
    I wish it was possible for all of the snowflake generation to visit those beaches at Normandy, visit the graveyards and some of the Nazi death camps and then tell me how hard their life on social media really is....

My grandparents went through the war in Amsterdam along with my mom and my aunt. They somehow survived the hunger winter and later on, like most of their generation, very rarely opened up about the things they did in the resistance and the jewish people they were hiding... Even though my grandfather was knighted for his efforts, I only saw the medal once and typical of him and his generation, he didn't really care as he, and they, thought it was about doing the right thing and nothing else.
    That is what will sorely be missed when the last of these veterans is finally laid to rest...
  4. Mugwest

Oddometer:
    For you Friends that didn't catch Oscar's reference to Hunger Winter, look it up. Holland suffered at both the front end and back end of the war.

Props to your Opa, Oscar :bow
  5. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    Stopping by to say hi friends.
  6. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff here Men!

Back in 2010, I had the honor of being a Guardian for these four WWII Veterans on the Honor Flight out of Dothan Alabama airport to the newly opened WWII Memorial on the DC Mall.

https://www.wsfa.com/story/12258628/wiregrass-honor-flight-preparing-for-final-two-flights/

What a honor it was.
    My job was to keep them hydrated, carry their stuff and be aware of where the restroom facilities were.

Generally keep a watchful eyeout for their needs
    EB4DD817-F749-4CC6-B091-B1E720DA046B.jpeg

Dianns’s father on the far right in the yellow shirt served on Victory and Liberty class ships.
    (A type of cargo ship)
    Job was Merchant Marine Armed Guard on the rear 5” 38 caliber gun.
    That gun was the beginning of his hearing loss.

Missed out on the Murmansk run because of a collision mishap that nearly sank the boat he was on.
    Many ships lost to the Nazi U-boat Wolfpacks on that run.

He saw plenty for a young man.

During one visit to my home I showed him one of my M1 Garand Rifles and here he is hefting it.
    652515AF-7F83-4E12-90C5-D5DBC2869B1C.jpeg
    He had never fired one, but remembers the soldiers on board with them.
    Heavier than he remembered them to be.

He passed last September at the age of 97.

What a guy!!!!!!
  7. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pacific theater was also a brutal bastard, and was captured pretty well in The Pacific (probably now free to watch somewhere for the KLR minded in the crowd)
    I’d love to visit Iwo Jima but travel is heavily restricted, and only a very few tours a year are allowed.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  8. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Pacific war was every bit as brutal as the European theater IMHO..
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Can this thread include mans best friend? I hope so, because I had to bid adieu to mine, Auto, earlier this afternoon. A more loyal and faithful dog you would not find. As a bonus he never met a CADS member, or any rider really, that he didn't like.
    20190627_122242~2(1).jpg
  10. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I’m sorry for your loss.
    Huzband likes this.
  11. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    Hate to hear it. Dawgs are a good judge of character, Auto must've been the non-judgmental type :lol3
  12. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    Heartbreaker. Good dog, Auto.
    Huzband likes this.
  13. Davebert

Davebert Too damn serious!

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your loss. Been in the same situation a number of times and it is never easy...
    ineptizoid and Huzband like this.
  14. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    When I lost Molly @ineptizoid had some words that stuck with me:
    An old man misses many dogs.
  15. Davebert

Davebert Too damn serious!

Oddometer:
    And that Rainbow Bridge poem will get the better of you too...

[​IMG]
  16. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Yea verily. Rudyard Kipling warned about the dangers of "giving your heart to a dog to tear," although I've done it a number of times anyway. But I'm here to tell ya, finer and truer Friends I've never known in all my life.:nod

Rest in Peace, Auto
    Dan Diego, Madhouse, Huzband and 4 others like this.
  17. Mugwest

Oddometer:
    D-Day/ETO & dog related: been stoked reading Cooper's 3rd Armored Division memoir from Normandy landings through push into Germany. Cooper was a maintenance lieutenant & total gearhead & addresses sparkplug fouling on Sherman tanks.

His thesis is that the Sherman was so outclassed on the ETO battlefield that the war went on longer than it could have. You be the judge.

The dog content is a smile-bringer.

Cooper's book was source material for _FURY_ and you can clearly see film scene origins in Cooper.

Highly recommended. Drives home the fact that behind every "Operator" is a division of master techs fixing their shit :nod

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/675308.Death_Traps
    Buzztail and Hatch like this.
  18. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Mom was born in 1920 and my Dad in 1915. They were in their mid 20's to 30's during the war and had two children when my Dad went off to see significant action in the Pacific on a heavy cruiser. All the males in the family saw action somewhere covering all theaters. When I was growing up and learning about the war and the atrocities of the concentration camps I asked my mom why the situation in Germany wasn't widely known until the liberation of the camps. Her reply was "We didn't know." They lived in a small town in NH and like most of rural America and even some cities people were not aware of the atrocities. It seems hard to believe in this day of media overload that things like that were not widely known. It has come to light in the last few years that some of the largest papers in the country refused to publish reports of the atrocities, or downplayed those reports.
    Buzztail likes this.
  19. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    My current GF is English and I spend a lot of time here on the channel coast directly south of London. They were sometimes attacked directly here and a lot of times indiscriminately as the Germans dropped whatever remaining bomb load they had on any city they could find before crossing back over the channel. Though I have not had the opportunity to talk to any veterans I always enjoy talking to men and women who were children old enough to remember the war. Hearing the stories of Dunkirk and the local boaters going across to rescue the Army, the rationing, the German planes flying over to attack London and back, preps for D-Day, etc, brings a whole new perspective to the war that we did not have in America.
    Mugwest and Buzztail like this.
  20. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Two months ago it was Auto, today it was Dexter. He was diagnosed with liver cancer & a bleeding stomach 4 months ago, but of course we'd hoped he would beat it. His digestive system all but shut down end of last week & his bad days were just too much. He was a good boy, & he liked to watch TV. He'd bark at the dogs and cats when they came on.
    20150127_213402.jpg
    The boys are together again.
    20140802_193715.jpg

It sure is gonna be awful quite around here.