Frolicking around Thailand with a group of Italian Supermodels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2020.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A 10 second video clip of the Hypermotard in action on some "ordinary" Thai roads

Hondaaddict, forgorin, Champe and 4 others like this.
  2. Mcahron

Mcahron Feeling Fluffy, don't ruin it!

Oddometer:
    Keep on keepening on Ed!
  3. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep on ED; don't let the nay sayers keep you down!!!
  4. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to have more Edventures to follow!
    Thx for coming back.

Mike B
    Champe and borderlinebob like this.
  5. Manifold

Manifold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing. Through the first page and no pimping or begging. Keep it up.
  6. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Why not just leave, or not read Ed’s reports with that attitude.????
    Champe, Foiler, dano619 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bigguy136

Bigguy136 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree.
    I have enjoyed all the effort and many, many hours Ed puts towards his ride reports. If someone doesn't like a style of writing, just block that person. Easy, peasy
    forgorin and GregDavidL like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The best part about doing this Ducati tour in Thailand was we got to switch things up.
    I chose the Hypermotard 939 but I was also able to ride the MultiStrada.
    The engine is identical but the Hypermotard was faster because it had less weight.
    The MultiStrada carries a lot of its weight up high so it was able to flick (or fall) in to corners but not with the same sort of road feel and stability as the Hypermotard.
    It reminded me a lot of my BMW GS. It is a nice all around bike I prefer the style of bike that is the Hypermotard style......what ever that is.

20200608_005137.jpg

The Scrambler Desert Sled was a big surprise for me. The bike doesn't look impressive. In fact, it looks like it could have been built 30 years ago. But looks are deceiving. Sure the engine is 30 years old, but it has been updated the same way the old air-head boxer BMWs were. And the engine was perhaps my favorite part about the bike. It wasn't as fast as the Hypermotard but it was still plenty fast enough to put a smile on my face. And then that old air cooled L-twin growl is addictive when you rev it up to red-line at each shift. And the bike handled pretty amazing too. And our tour leader, Pepper,showed everyone its capabilities leaving everyone in the dust when he wanted to. I wouldn't mind having one of these in my garage on day. It was certainly the best all around bike for touring around Thailand, especially when you include some dirt roads in the mix.

20200607_222413.jpg

I even got to try the KTM Supermoto 990.
    In some ways, this was a better bike than the Hypermotard. But the Ducati had more soul. The KTM had more of a normal riding position where the Ducati places your weight and body up over the front tire. I had always wanted to ride one of these big KTM supermotos bikes as I considered buying one at one time. But now my money would go toward a Ducati. The Hypermotard is much more sexy and fun.

20200607_200417.jpg

I certainly picked the best bike for me. But it was nice to have a choice.

20200606_211755.jpg

IMG-20200607-WA0008.jpg
    Hondaaddict, forgorin, Champe and 7 others like this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I didn't take a lot of nice photos from the tour. Looking at what photos I did take, most of the are at the gas station or some other not so scenic rest stop. The reason was once we got rolling along in the mountains, I didn't want to stop to take a photo. But on this road, I pulled out my phone , hit video and shot some of the spectacular road while riding one handed. The video is long but the first 20 seconds will give you an idea of what the roads are like in Northern Thailand and why it has become my second home.

forgorin, Banksbird, Mofrid and 2 others like this.
  10. PaisaMed

PaisaMed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a South America tour on a bmw gs and many a times I wished I was riding my KaTy Mary supermoto for all those twisty mountain roads. I really want to get to Thailand soon!
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    One of the things I love about Thailand is the freedom you have living there. Ok, sure, the beer industry is mafia controlled and the government protects the only 2 breweries there against competition. And as a result, the beer sold there is crap. But the freedom is, you can drink said crap beer on the beach. Try that in California and you could get a big fine.
    One of the main freedoms you have here is the police are pretty tolerate and it is near impossible to get a speeding ticket. And in the rare event that you do, the fine is only about $15, no matter how fast you were going. So having a fast bike in Thailand makes sense. The roads are world class and you can use the power.
    We were riding along a beautiful stretch of black ribbon-top. We are all moving at a pretty good clip. Up ahead, I see a police car driving in the same direction that we are. Our group approaches the cop quickly from behind and we all group up behind him. My first thought was........well, there goes the fun. But 20 seconds later, our lead rider, Pepper, clicks it down a couple of gears and rockets past the cop and disappears in to the distance at some serious "over-the-speed-limit" speed. And one by one, we all pass the cop and leave him in our wake.
    Could you imagine doing that in the US or Europe????? HELL NO!!!!! But in Thailand, the police don't really care about speeders, generally. Sometimes, they will set up a speed trap with radar and get a lot of people at the same time. And everyone pays the $15, no matter how fast over the speed limit they were going. I really don't think it is in the Thai police's job description to pull people over. The only thing the police will pull you over for is to check for license, vehicle papers and helmet. But statistically, Thailand is also one of the more dangerous countries to ride in as there are a lot of deaths on the road here. But having logged many tens of thousands of kms over here, I don't really think it is any worse than any other place. It some ways , I think it is safer. For the most part, the Thai people police themselves. Most don't drive fast or recklessly. In other "lawless" countries, people take advantage of it and drive like assholes.
    There are some many great roads to ride here in Thailand, especially in the North. And it is so much fun to be riding a bike with some serious power. And the best part is, you aren't constantly checking your mirrors to see if the police are chasing after you.....it ain't gonna happen over here......so let-her rip! 20200606_010448.jpg
    RiderRick, forgorin, Champe and 14 others like this.
  12. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Ed, thank you for posting!
  13. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you are back Ed.
  14. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying this, thanks!!
  15. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I'd like to be in Thailand right now.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have done about 150 Baja tours as a tour guide. And I have worked with guys that are totally burnt out doing the tours. It just becomes a job for them. And of course the clients feel it. Our guides were having as much fun as I was. That makes it more fun for everyone. It felt like I was just riding with buddies and not paying for a guided tour.
    This may not be obvious to everyone but it was one of my fears when booking the tour. Because I am usually on the other end of things so I knew the guides were going to make or break the tour.

20200606_223003.jpg

Breathtaking scenery around every corner

20200606_221735.jpg

We attracted a lot of attention in Thailand as big bikes are not all that common and Ducatis are especially rare treat to see them all lined up like this.

20200606_221612.jpg

20200606_221406.jpg

It is always more fun riding in a group. Honestly, this was one of my most fun experiences I've had in Thailand. Riding a fast bike like the Ducati Hypermotard around Northern Thailand convinced me that I need a fast bike there in addition to my Honda CRF250L. I plan to keep the Honda for off-road riding, but I need something with 100+ horsepower for ripping around on these sweet paved roads here

IMG-20200606-WA0010.jpg

Attached Files:

dano619, RiderRick, Smidty and 7 others like this.
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Which bike would you want to ride around Northern Thailand?

Ducati MultiStrada 950S

Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled 800

Ducati Hypermotard 939

KTM Supermoto 990

20200606_221530.jpg
    RiderRick likes this.
  18. Blancr

Blancr n00b

Oddometer:
    Scrambler would be my choice - then again it is raining and 40 degrees here so I would take any of them right now :)
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  19. GotDammitDave

GotDammitDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im in. Good to see you back here posting your adventures!
  20. msf

msf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sled... seems like the perfect, every day, all around bike

Of course, you make any bike look like a blast - more about being there and having an adventure rather than any gear choices!